Reading on stand

Karpteach

I cruise this site and a few others when I'm on the stand. But this year I'll be deep in Southern Tier looking for bear, so prob won't have cell service. Prob shouldn't be reading and not paying attention when looking for a bear. Hate to end up on the wrong end of this hunt.

I tried reading one time, but I love to look around, I feel like I'm going to miss something. Same goes for listening to music or something, even with just ear thing in I feel like I'll miss something. Here and there I'll try to go on the site. This year I should have better reception, so hopefully I can post a pic or two from the hunt.

maybe its different in a tree stand? never hunted in one. But I can't read,look at my phone or anything....i just sit there and try not to move for as long as I can. Every 3-4 hours I stand up and stretch and then sit back down against a tree.

Depending on what time of day I'm sitting out on the stand I may bring my Nook. Although I try to read to make the time go faster till sundown, I would read a sentence or two and then look up and scan the fields. I'll look down again and read another two sentences and then scan the field. I don't get very far reading. Sometimes I'll just go on this site and bide my time.

I usually hate reading on stand but I'll have to during my two weeks of hunting vacation because of the amount of reading required in my grad class. I'm making pdf files and just uploading them to my smartphone...I'll only read here and there but it's gotta be done.

I know all to well that I can't do that stuff after a day's hunt when it's day 8 or 9 of being 20' in the air for most of the time I'm awake.

Edited by phade

funny how many of you say you go on the site while hunting.Phones have come a looooong way.Can browse the web and look at your location through gps and google earth from a phone while sitting on watch.I just have a cheezy phone.no internet here.or books.i love the nature to much.Some of the stuff you see those critters do is cool as hell.

I've tried it ........ Drove me crazy. I couldn't really concentrate, thinking about what might be coming in while I was not taking care of business .... lol. Years ago I tried listening to Rush Limbaugh with the little ear thing stuck in my ear. Same thing..... drove me nuts thinking about the snapped twig or the footsteps in the leaves that I was not able to hear.

Only one thing to do when hunting anymore. That involves intense looking and listening and concentrating on what I'm there to do .....lol.

This surprised me! I had no idea folks read on the stand or sitting and waiting. The only buck I ever took, the only reason I saw him at all is that I thought his tail flick was a little bird and I was watching it with interest to see if I could ID it. If I hadn't been looking for birds to watch he would have walked right by me and I'd never have known he was there.

Plus, I love watching everything, all the critters and even just the quiet woods. My husband says one of his favorite hunting memories was watching a brown creeper (type of bird) come up and sit within arm's reach of us.

Books? Cell Phones? No I'll be hunting/napping. Cell phone stays on the bottom of my pack for an emergency(not that it would help no service where I hunt). I'm guilty of something else while in the woods. Sleeping. When I read a book it makes me fall asleep so that would make it even worse. I know I'm not the only one who dozes off while posted. It never fails so I just let it happen. There's been more than once when I dozed off only to get the sensation of being watched so I open an eye and there's a deer staring at me close enough to spit at. I used to make fun of my Dad for doing this and now I'm guilty of it. I can't help it the woods are a very relaxing place for me. Unless I'm seeing deer and such.

I used my phone to text and surf last year but I probably won't this year. I got a new droid and I will be damned if I can figure out how to turn off the vibrate. My Blackberry would allow ring/vibrate/ and silent modes. I can't find a silent mode on this thing. It vibrates very loudly so I won't have it on unless i can figure it out. I need cheaters to read a book and they don't work so well for shooting...lol. I don't wear glasses in the woods so no reading.