Non political corona virus thread

Al Bundy

9 minutes ago, Rattler said:

yup i talked about this in coronavirus thread. cali did a similar test and 55x more prevalent than reported. that changes their death rate from 3.8% to 0.1%

• Like 1

Latest I saw in NY suggests 0.5%, which is certainly better than 3 or 4%. Given the recent acknowledgement of asymptomatic carriers, it shouldn't come as a surprise that there were a bunch of folks infected who didn't get tested, and that those who did get tested were more likely to have severe symptoms.

We have a good friend who was returning to UCLA from a visit to Australia during the Christmas holidays, and their kid sat in front of a young Chinese guy who was coughing repeatedly the whole trip back. The kid got sick, all of the symptoms of COVID-19, but this was well prior to it being on anyone's radar...mid January or so. It will be interesting to see if he has the antibodies. Dollars to donuts the same thing could have happened to others. If the virus emerged in Nov/Dec in Wuhan, and we've seen how fast it spreads, there's no doubt that it could have arrived in the States in January. And spread undetected. Although, for the record, I suspect that there have been a lot of folks who contracted a mild case over the past month but didn't want to go to a hospital or be tested...if they were positive, then everyone they know would go into quarantine. And if it was truly mild, they could have figured they just had a cold. 

Where my daughter works as a nurse, they've had a number of positive cases where the person never showed any symptoms, not even like they had a cold. 

They've also sent others to hospitals that could handle severe symptoms, all of whom had other medical issues.  It's looking more and more like certain issues, such as hypertension, diabetes, COPD, emphysema, pneumonia, obesity and even vaping to quit smoking, put people at much higher risk of getting very sick from the virus.  It also seems laying in bed on your back when you feel really sick, is a very bad thing to do.  People who fight it by staying upright, breathing deep in spite of the knife like pain in the chest and exercising, fare better in the long run.

20 minutes ago, knehrke said:

Latest I saw in NY suggests 0.5%, which is certainly better than 3 or 4%. Given the recent acknowledgement of asymptomatic carriers, it shouldn't come as a surprise that there were a bunch of folks infected who didn't get tested, and that those who did get tested were more likely to have severe symptoms.

We have a good friend who was returning to UCLA from a visit to Australia during the Christmas holidays, and their kid sat in front of a young Chinese guy who was coughing repeatedly the whole trip back. The kid got sick, all of the symptoms of COVID-19, but this was well prior to it being on anyone's radar...mid January or so. It will be interesting to see if he has the antibodies. Dollars to donuts the same thing could have happened to others. If the virus emerged in Nov/Dec in Wuhan, and we've seen how fast it spreads, there's no doubt that it could have arrived in the States in January. And spread undetected. Although, for the record, I suspect that there have been a lot of folks who contracted a mild case over the past month but didn't want to go to a hospital or be tested...if they were positive, then everyone they know would go into quarantine. And if it was truly mild, they could have figured they just had a cold. 

It was definitely here in January, maybe December. My daughter was born on Jan. 21 and there was already signs everywhere that if you recently visited China you should not enter the hospital. Many people i know had flu like symptoms and tested negative for flu in January & February 

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld

20 minutes ago, knehrke said:

You got me thinking about all of the lung injuries in young folks last year from vaping - I wonder how those kids are going to fare. Scary.

If they have lung damage already from vaping they are at high risk for virus complications.  If they just vape now they may be making it easier to get the virus.

6 hours ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Through her job or some other way?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, crappyice said:

Where did she go? Did she need to “apply” for the test or was she sent there by employee???

Through her job.  She went to the Allen Pavilion in the northern tip of Manhattan.  It's part of the Columbia Hospital/New York Presbyterian network.  She's asleep at the moment.  I'll ask in the morning if she knows how others can go about getting tested if you're curious.

• Like 1

Through her job.  She went to the Allen Pavilion in the northern tip of Manhattan.  It's part of the Columbia Hospital/New York Presbyterian network.  She's asleep at the moment.  I'll ask in the morning if she knows how others can go about getting tested if you're curious.

Nice! I mentioned the other day, several companies are doing this for their employees so they can re open 4/27. But they state they aren’t sure on the actual validity of these tests yet

16 hours ago, knehrke said:

You got me thinking about all of the lung injuries in young folks last year from vaping - I wonder how those kids are going to fare. Scary.

I quit smoking about 7 years ago and at the time I was thinking maybe Vaping would not be harmful  ( did not take it up )  so much for that idea !

It was hear in December for sure. A colleagues wife was very sick towards the end of December and the Doctors could not figure out what it was despite all the testing that they did on her. Not sure what kind of treatment she was given but weeks later she felt better. Just recently she got tested to see if COVID-19 is what she had and sure enough it was. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Nice! I mentioned the other day, several companies are doing this for their employees so they can re open 4/27. But they state they aren’t sure on the actual validity of these tests yet

Correct.  She volunteered out of curiosity.  They said that because not enough research so far to make any real conclusion.  We only know that antibodies help fight off re-infection.  Most cases with antibodies is that you can still get infected but your bodies just fights it off.  What they don't know if this means:

1. this means you body fights it off completely or your symptoms are milder

2. during the time the antibodies are fighting off the re-introduction of the virus you are or aren't contagious.

• Like 1

Got a message from my bank today:

Lobby Services**
Monday - Friday By Appointment only
Saturday & Sunday-All locations closed

A mask is required for all Lobby Appointments. You must be wearing a mask to be allowed entry . If you do not have a mask, your appointment will need to be rescheduled.

My How times change :pardon:

Edited by Steve D
  • Like 1

The percentage of positive antibodies is going to be skewed on the high side.  Yes, some companies are asking their employees for testing but the rest are "random" test based off volunteers.  They cannot force this test on people.  I'm guessing most people who have had no obvious contacts with the infection or have never shown any symptoms are not going to schedule an appointment, venture out and drive to a hospital, and have their blood drawn.  It's usually people who are concerned because someone they knew tested positive or they had some symptoms a while ago.  You do get a few people who simple want to do their part and assist in the research  but I am guessing that is a very few.  My wife's experience should not be used as an example because she back channeled it and then went in with her work ID.

• Like 1

Been reading information about the SARS- Covid antibody tests that are available in some other states ( Texas) . These tests are not FDA. approved and can give false readings. Can anyone for sure say, these New York antibody tests are FDA. approved?

Not sure about FDA approved, but my wife’s job is having employees take the test. But the email clearly states all the ways it could be false-positive. Including other strains of coronavirus from years ago

I get tested Monday AM, signed up, online today , drive up testing never leave the car . Just curious , last three weeks kinda tired which I attributed to just laying around and drinking more, on / off cough that I felt in upper respiratory area , but my GERD manifests there as well , so I blew it off.  Then  a few days ago I woke up full of energy and cough was gone . Feel like a million bucks now . 

Edited by Nomad

That was a very interesting read I hope you took more away from that article than that. It seems like starting May 27th they think we can start to relax some of the restrictions. I wonder if people had a firm date to start the relaxing if it would calm some minds

Yea my friend who works at Mr Sinai and is a critical care nurse is getting her antibody test on Monday. She has also been a life long heavy smoker