2 misses and finally got me a buck

nybuckboy

This morning I shot at a small 6 but hit a branch and the arrow deflected. Missed him completely and never found the arrow. I did walk out where he was standing in the snow and no sign of any blood.

Heard another buck tending grunting but could never see him and then almost got run over by 3 does on the way out.

Came home and watched some football and about 3:15 headed back out to land across the road from my house. At about 3:45, a deer was on it’s way toward my stand. The stand is located on a field edge with a drop off behind me so the deer generally walk along the edge. I had made up my mind to take it regardless of its sex. When it got close I see it’s a small crotch horn and he veered farther away in to the goldenrod field and evidently he was farther out than I realized, as I shot under him. Lost another arrow.

I got back in the stand and not 10 minutes later I see 3 deer running around the goldenrod about 200 yards away. I could see in the bino’s that it was a decent buck chasing 2 does. I sat there for a few minutes and then asked myself this…” what’s the chances the does lead this buck 200 yards and inside 30 yards of my stand?” I decided slim to none.

I decided to try and sneak up on him. There is a mowed trail along the field edge. I would walk it as quickly as I could and see if I can approach him downwind. As I moved along I knew about where he was but as I got closer, a doe saw me. I figured I was busted but waited for her to get out of my sight. I walked a bit farther and saw another deer. I thought it was the other doe. I put the bino’s up and it was the buck who must have decided to move closer to the doe.

At this point I was about 70 yards and undetected by the buck. I moved closer to him and then he saw me. I grunted at him once and then again but he didn’t move. I snort wheezed and still didn’t move. I think he thought I was the other doe.

With the sun just down and the way the light was I was convinced he thought I was a deer. I figured I was 40 yards from him crouching down. He was pretty much broadside. I hooked my release and slowly stood up and drew my bow. I settled the pin high and let the arrow go. I heard the whack sound as the arrow hit. He blew and bounded off.

With darkness coming I decided to see if I could find blood. About 20 yards past the impact point I picked up some blood in the yellow swale grass. I couldn’t find any more blood so I decided to walk directly to the area where I last saw him standing. About 25 yards from there I walked up on him with the arrow sticking out of him. I nocked another and finished him off. The deer I saw standing was the other doe.

When I gutted him out at my home under some good light I realized I pierced his heart and broke his opposite shoulder. Yes, broke his shoulder. Gotta love those G5 Montecs.

I am happy to say this was an amazing end to this bow season cause overall until today it was uneventful. What and ending. Here is a pic.

post-402-0-50909500-1321240002_thumb.jpg