n00b advise

omg

so never hunted. i am hoping to get there.

any recommendations on where to start.

i am in westchester (3s), out of question for rifle hunting.

[public land only]

i read horror stories of people getting shot in public land, i am a bit wary about it, but willing to take a chance, i have to start somewhere.

any recommendations on which unit / forest i should try scouting and remotely even have a chance? [not holding any illusions of success]. 

worst case, i hike a lot and enjoy the nature.

[public land only]
i read horror stories of people getting shot in public land, i am a bit wary about it, but willing to take a chance, i have to start somewhere.
any recommendations on which unit / forest i should try scouting and remotely even have a chance? [not holding any illusions of success]. 

Try storm king state park, see if you can sign up for West Point, and there is always Sterling Forest

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Deer leave a lot of sign in hunting season so it can be easy to tell where they are traveling.  If you screw up just learn from it and keep pushing forward. You'll be safe on public land yes accidents happen but it seems like most accidental shootings are with people from the same hunting party.

• Like 2

Grampy has good advice. Just get out there and pay attention to everything. Milkweed seeds are good wind indicators. Move slow and scan woods for deer often. You can sit on the ground by some brush or fallen trees that have some deer sign close by. It isn't easy to actually draw undetected,but it is fun. 

Deer can pick out movement like nobodys business,but if you are still they mostly dont see you.

There are tons of you tube videos and or podcasts to give you ideas what to look for.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, omg said:

[public land only]

Meaning you only plan on hunting in 3S?  You can't get shot by a rifle in public land that doesn't allow rifles.  One or two accidents happen each year but considering the number of hunters there are, you have a better chance of getting hit by a car.  I wouldn't worry about it just wear your blaze orange.  There are tons of DEP land that you can hunt in 3S.  Know the rules of each land you hunt.  One DEP property in 3S might have a different rule than another DEP property also in 3S.  If you venture out of 3S, Chef had recommended some locations.  I'd also add Stewart State Forest to that list too.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, omg said:

[public land only]

Talk with @Biz-R-OWorld he hunts those grounds I think and if you ask him he’s the upmost expert in those parts 

• Like 2

If you go with the intention of enjoying the woods, you will be successful. Get a compass and understand how to find your way in and out of the woods. Call or stop in to your local DEC office asking for recommendations for state land in your area. They usually have plenty of hand outs to get you started. When small game season starts, cruise the roads to see where the crowds are, then you know where to avoid. For your own confidence and safety at this time, wear plenty of orange...it isnt fool proof but it does increase your visibility. And practice moving as slow as possible, being observant of the little things...birds, squirrels, bird calls, and of course wind. Have fun and be safe.  I have never hunted that area of the state, but there are no where near the number of hunters out that used to be. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sodfather said:

Talk with @Biz-R-OWorld he hunts those grounds I think and if you ask him he’s the upmost expert in those parts 

My comments as follows for @omg

1. 3S (Westchester County) is bow only for deer, so that's correct. I believe there 5-10 DEP lands that are public. I believe you need a free DEP watershed permit (like fishing the reservoirs) to hunt them. They definitely get pounded with hunters, but everyone I have met is cool. If you can get a private land spot, it could be amazing. But very tough, I haven't really tried though.
  2. If you are willing to travel north to 3N (Putnam County), you then can use shotgun and/or xbow as well for deer. A lot of more stateland and DEP properties. They, too, get pounded but doesn't mean you can't have success. 

As i typed this i found the link that is very helpful. My Dad and I used to use this all the time to try new spots. Looks like you would have 8 hunting choices for westchester.

https://www1.nyc.gov/assets/dep/downloads/pdf/recreation/open-rec-areas-maps.pdf

• Like 1

Thanks all. apologies if my intentions are not clear in the original post

I am looking to hunt with rifle only this season [hence 3S out of question, for both bow and 3S hunting this year, besides 3S is apply and invitation only? i am not sure]. although i completed the online Bow Hunter Ed, i am not looking to apply for one this year.

i am open to travel upto 2 hours up north.

@Biz-R-OWorld thanks for that link [saving it]

i do have watershed permit, surprised it was free [nothings free in NY, they do nickle and dime for everything].

@Daveboone, compass noted, or even a handheld gps?

11 minutes ago, omg said:

I am looking to hunt with rifle only this season [hence 3S out of question, for both bow and 3S hunting this year, besides 3S is apply and invitation only? i am not sure]. although i completed the online Bow Hunter Ed, i am not looking to apply for one this year.

@Biz-R-OWorld thanks for that link [saving it]

i do have watershed permit, surprised it was free [nothings free in NY, they do nickle and dime for everything].

@Daveboone, compass noted, or even a handheld gps?

ah, rifle only you need to go farther north. but my link should still help you with all the catskills properties. all check state forests, etc. some are massive tracts of land.

Great thing about a compass....never needs batteries and you never have to worry about signal strength. A GPS is very helpful at times, but a simple compass bearing before you walk into the woods to get the roads orientation and your general direction of travel, is simple. if you get turned around, reverse your bearing. You may have a long walk but eventually you should get back to the road. Of course having a map showing the terrain and the roads layout is even better idea.

Alot of folks will say "there is a compass on my cell phone''. Well , no there isnt. there is a function that is giving a gps bearing reference that looks like a compass. No signal, no bearing. IF your life may depend on it...eliminate batteries from the equation.

• Like 1

Great thing about a compass....never needs batteries and you never have to worry about signal strength. A GPS is very helpful at times, but a simple compass bearing before you walk into the woods to get the roads orientation and your general direction of travel, is simple. if you get turned around, reverse your bearing. You may have a long walk but eventually you should get back to the road. Of course having a map showing the terrain and the roads layout is even better idea.
Alot of folks will say "there is a compass on my cell phone''. Well , no there isnt. there is a function that is giving a gps bearing reference that looks like a compass. No signal, no bearing. IF your life may depend on it...eliminate batteries from the equation.

If I was truly lost in the woods and only had a compass I'd crack it open and drink the water. It's shameful but I have no clue how to use one properly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

[mention=871]Biz-R-OWorld[/mention] thanks for that link [saving it]
[mention=27]Daveboone[/mention], compass noted, or even a handheld gps?

I already gave you the information you need, Storm king, West Point, Sterling, neversink unique area, bashakill. Parts of lake miniwaska state park. Start there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk