14 Years in the Making!!!

Hunter25

I write this post with a huge smile on my face this past weekend I had one of the best days in my hunting career. Saturday morning it finally all came together and I took my best buck ever. I have been hunting for the last fourteen years and over that time span I have shot many deer but nothing bigger than a six pointer. My friend Charlie was gracious enough to let my brother John and I hunt some of his stands Long Island. John and I were hunting about 80 yards apart on property that has been holding some great bucks. The morning started out slow with nothing at first light. Then I saw a spike and five does come through at about seven. After that I saw the small resident eight pointer walking the edge of the woods where John was. The deer got down wind of John and picked up his scent and trotted back into the woods. He was kind of heading in my direction so I got my bow ready in case he came by within range. That deer never came back out of the woods but about five minutes later I looked to my right and saw nothing but rack walking in my direction. I got the video camera on the deer and watched him eat and slowly make his way towards my stand. At this point I was starting to think that this might actually happen and my nerves got the better of me and I started shaking. It got so bad that I had to lean my knee against the tree to slow it down so the deer wouldn’t see me. I had to keep telling myself to calm down and take deep breaths. He proceeded to get closer and closer, and then froze up at 25 yards right behind a branch, then after what seemed like forever he turned to head back towards the woods. I drew back, he took a few steps towards the woods, cleared the branch and I released an arrow on him and watched it disappear right behind the shoulder with a perfect double lung shot. The deer ran about 60 yards and fell over. That’s when I lost it, I couldn’t believe what I had just accomplished and I questioned if it really just happened or if I was dreaming. I quickly called my brother who watched the entire thing from his stand. When I got down and got over to the deer we realized that the deer was the exact eight pointer that Charlie had shot at on Wednesday. Charlie’s arrow just grazed the top of his back and the wound was already starting to heal. Charlie has some great velvet footage of this buck and a bunch of trail cam shots of him. The other cool part about this hunt was that my brother Joe got to share in the action as well even thought he was hunting upstate at the time. John was on the phone checking in with Joe at the time that he noticed the buck under my stand and realized that I was probably going to get a shot, so he was able to give Joe the play by play as if he was right there with us. The feeling I felt after I shot this buck was like nothing I have ever experienced before. After hunting so hard for so long it really made me appreciate how fortunate I was to take this deer. I really want to thank Charlie for letting us hunt his stands and being such a great friend. It’s going to take a long time for me to come down from this high I’m on right now.

1-1.jpg

DSCN1145-1.jpg

DSCN1148.jpg

PICT0009202.jpg

PICT0178202.jpg