ANTLERS

EHD outbreak in NY?

17 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

a63f149c073af5c781bcd0c41c5ef17c.jpg

My dad found this dead doe this morning behind his pool. He’s in MAHOPAC and will call DEC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Wow, this picture is absolutely startling.

20 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

a63f149c073af5c781bcd0c41c5ef17c.jpg

My dad found this dead doe this morning behind his pool. He’s in MAHOPAC and will call DEC

Pic reminds me of a young Biz after trying to leap from the deck into the pool. Hopefully that deer was hit by a car and died there but I have a bad feeling it wasnt

• Like 2

I find a duck's opinion of me is very much influenced by whether or not I have bread

-Mitch Hedberg

a63f149c073af5c781bcd0c41c5ef17c.jpg&key=4c019030d77a422752b58abc6e7bc0384402176b05cf645b8529740d6ea5383d

I sent it to my deer management program guy as well to see what he thinks/suggests.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

0dfdd674dfeb9c942bcf556fb901b306.jpeg

Nobody at DEC answered. Dad dragged it to road and called highway dept to have it taken away and note the possibly EHD. Who knows if he’ll hear back

12 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

0dfdd674dfeb9c942bcf556fb901b306.jpeg

Nobody at DEC answered. Dad dragged it to road and called highway dept to have it taken away and note the possibly EHD. Who knows if he’ll hear back

Shes been nursing too

• Like 1

It’s EHD. They’re laying like that throughout the woods.  Buddy found 14 dead along 400yds of creek today, but they don’t all go to water. We found a few in fields. One stumbled through a person’s yard on my street and died in their driveway.

Here’s one about to die. Too weak to stand.

highly disturbing stuff.

EB89453A-8C89-42B6-ABE2-30E9F565C713.png

Edited by Yorehntr
  • Sad 1

Wow this just sucks. Hate seeing them suffer, mother nature can be cruel. I fee l for you guys who hunt these areas.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Yorehntr said:

It’s EHD. They’re laying like that throughout the woods.  Buddy found 14 dead along 400yds of creek today, but they don’t all go to water. We found a few in fields. One stumbled through a person’s yard on my street and died in their driveway.

Here’s one about to die. Too weak to stand.

highly disturbing stuff.

What county were those 14 found in??

Dutchess, but Orange is getting hit as well. Draw a line from goshen to cold spring , then up to fishkill. Huge area. I’m not saying the whole area is effected,  I imagine it has spots more effected than others, but everywhere I or people I know, looked in that zone has been hit.  

I know the article said it’s safe to eat,but I don’t think I would be able to eat any venison from those or surrounding areas.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Yorehntr said:

Dutchess, but Orange is getting hit as well. Draw a line from goshen to cold spring , then up to fishkill. Huge area. I’m not saying the whole area is effected,  I imagine it has spots more effected than others, but everywhere I or people I know, looked in that zone has been hit.  

Not hard to understand how this could be spreading in Putnam and Dutchess counties since they are next to each other, but it is interesting how it's also happening in Orange county which is on the other side of the Hudson River.

8 minutes ago, steve863 said:

Not hard to understand how this could be spreading in Putnam and Dutchess counties since they are next to each other, but it is interesting how it's also happening in Orange county which is on the other side of the Hudson River.

It's not spread from deer to deer. Infection is from a midge bite.

It's not spread from deer to deer. Infection is from a midge bite.

True but how far them
Midges traveling?!? 3S is a skip from both Dutches and Putnam....I’m starting to get nervous

I sure hope those midges can’t swim. Glad I’m on an island. Hopefully they don’t wanna come near the city, like most of you “up there” lol

I fully support PETA!!

People Eating Tasty Animals

Seen this on the two farms I have hunted in Iowa of over the last 15 years, nothing to knock the population back by half. And when deer management isnt adjusted for it, like it wont be in NY, expect a 4-5 year rebound period.

True but how far them
Midges traveling?!? 3S is a skip from both Dutches and Putnam....I’m starting to get nervous

It's to hoity-toity for them here in 3S. Midges aren't allowed here

#ThankYouForLessOverzealousModding #WeDemandUnlimitedLikes
#WeDemandADislikeButton

Friend’s mother’s house Putnam Valley. Short dead end street. Can’t drive fast.

Confirmed EHD or hit by a car?

Just terrible to see this.I hope it stops soon. I feel bad for all of you that hunt these areas,such an awful waste.

Despite our ever-changing,ever-indignant world with its growing ignorance of and indifference to the ways of the wild, I remain a predator, pitying those who revel in artificiality and synthetic success while regarding me and my kind as relics of a time and place no longer valued or understood.James

More likely EHD or some type of natural death than hit by car. No sign of trauma, and it’s a short dead end street on a hill

Have you called DEC to have them test all these deer? I spoke with a “collector” of the specimen and they are quite willing to collect and test these deer to sturdy how and how far EHD spreads....he said there is no treatment but cold to kill off the midges but they always like more information than less.

I’ve been e-mailing a DEC wildlife biologist on number of dead and where.  the ones I’ve came across are all in groups, and mostly near known EHD areas. 

There will be too many dead to bother testing. Only saving grace is it a happened late in year. It might cool off and kill them off. In a bad year its nothing to for EHD to wipe out half a farms deer, and almost all the mature bucks. For some reason mature deer sub-come to it more often. Bad part is in NY guys wont lay off the young bucks even with EHD hitting....so you get screwed for 4 or 5 years