OnX or HuntStand?

squirrelwhisperer

I just purchased NY onx for my garmin gps and it appears to be accurate as far as property boundaries go. It also shows trails and access points that were not on the garmin maps.

I just put the micro chip in and did not subscribe yet because our property tax map has not been updated . I am going to wait a bit till the county catches up and then subscribe in hopes that onx has caught up to.

I have no experience with the other two mentioned or a lot of in field experience with the onx. Only time and use will show how good it is.

12 minutes ago, Steve D said:

I just purchased NY onx for my garmin gps and it appears to be accurate as far as property boundaries go. It also shows trails and access points that were not on the garmin maps.

I just put the micro chip in and did not subscribe yet because our property tax map has not been updated . I am going to wait a bit till the county catches up and then subscribe in hopes that onx has caught up to.

I have no experience with the other two mentioned or a lot of in field experience with the onx. Only time and use will show how good it is.

Agreed, but it sucks to find out that you purchased the wrong one later on. 

I hear ya. Life is a gamble and who knows if it will be worth it or not. I purchased the onx-hunt because a few of the areas I hunt do not have cell phone access so a "app" would be useless to me. At least with the chip I can still use it and identify property boundaries which is really what I bought it for.

I use HS. I’ve hunted the same spot for 30 some years , so I don’t much need to many of the features . I like to mark then number the stands so the Mrs and farmer can find me . Measuring yardage is nice , this one shows that I’m over 500 feet from my hut to their house , also nice for knowing distance in fields , as I’ve never owned a range finder .

11371FF3-F2D2-419E-B034-15ACD6C22DB6.jpeg

86048F77-1A62-481B-80E1-34741DFB7656.jpeg

• Thanks 1

HS has landowner info , I forget how it works lol . The farm I hunt is the, largest owner in the area , and we own 120 acres as well ,which is tiny compared to the farms around us  . I know all the neighboring owners ,so that feature is not a priority for me , but I can certainly see how it would be for others .

7 minutes ago, squirrelwhisperer said:

I would imagine you made a wise choice. 

I want something for landowner info, as well as boundaries. 

LMK if OnX does that, when you can. That’s the reason I started this lol 

Huntstand has landowner info.  Free version gives you 10 inquires for free.  Then you have to wait a bit and they give you ten more. 

• Thanks 1

I have used both. I prefer huntstand. 

Both are outdated for property ownership.  I started asking permission from land owners using onX. But found it to be outdated.

Most up to date place I found for land ownership is a website called acrevalue. Also has info on soil in the area. And borderlines. I highly recommend 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Just Lucky said:

I have used both. I prefer huntstand. 

Both are outdated for property ownership.  I started asking permission from land owners using onX. But found it to be outdated.

Most up to date place I found for land ownership is a website called acrevalue. Also has info on soil in the area. And borderlines. I highly recommend 

I also use "acrevalue" as a source and find it useful. It still can only be as accurate as the county tax maps. I know this because I have been watching a nearby piece of property that recently sold and neither acrevalue, onx, or the county tax maps have shown a change of ownership.

I waiting to see how soon after the tax maps are updated the acrevalue, and onx, update.

They are suppose to have the tax rolls complete by the end of the year so I suspect between now & then the tax maps will be updated also.

I am curious to see how soon the others update before I get my subscription.