So aim from tree stand , same spot as on the ground

luberhill

32 years , bow hunting , I’ve never seen a range finder ,let alone used one, but to each his own . As TF said aim at the off side , “ that is “ where you want the arrow to come out .

It helps to shoot in practice from height ,either your roof ,or a stand ,( practice as you hunt ! ) at a thin target so you can see how the arrow is positioned at the exit side . I use a 3 inch thick foam target , I tape a piece of paper in the shape of the vitals on the close side , you quickly learn the proper shot placement , for different distances and angles , to hit both lungs .

11 minutes ago, left field said:

What is the reasoning behind that? 

It's a bowhunting shot form issue. When you drop your bow arm you always shoot high. Bend and pivot your whole upper body at the waist to maintain shooting form. I absolutely suck at this and my bow shots are always flippin high. I practice and concentrate but it goes to crap when a deer shows up. Aim low with a bow!

(Sorry, compound bow related not crossbow)

• Like 1

You're 8 feet of the ground ,just aim for the triangle and don't even think about the exit hole ,i never understood the backwards thinking of thinking of the exit hole , you know where the stuff is that makes the deer go night night ,aim for that , it's common sense to adjust where to hit depending on the angle the deer is standing. 

16 minutes ago, left field said:

What is the reasoning behind that? 

It changes the angle of your anchor point.  If you drop your arm, your peep is going to be farther away from your eye, forcing you to drop your chin changing everything.  

Next time practicing from a elevated stand.  Draw your bow like your in the ground. Drop your arm and shoot.  Then try locking in position and only bending at the waist to get on target.  You'll be much closer to the bullseye. 

• Like 2

Don't over think it. Your not shooting in a competition with Levi. Range some areas your hunting around and send it within the ranges you feel comfortable with. 

Be more sure of taking a slow shot and staying on aim.  If the distance is 24 and you shoot for 22 the deer is dead .   The broadhead will do it's job.  Misses aren't because your off angle by a couple of yards. It's because you jerked the trigger, dropped your bow arm, were peeking before you shoot etc.  

Unless your 30 foot in a tree you will be fine. If your trying to shoot out 50 yards downhill then it might be an issue. Send it without panic and overthinking, you got it 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Don't over think it. Your not shooting in a competition with Levi. Range some areas your hunting around and send it within the ranges you feel comfortable with. 

Be more sure of taking a slow shot and staying on aim.  If the distance is 24 and you shoot for 22 the deer is dead .   The broadhead will do it's job.  Misses aren't because your off angle by a couple of yards. It's because you jerked the trigger, dropped your bow arm, were peeking before you shoot etc.  

Unless your 30 foot in a tree you will be fine. If your trying to shoot out 50 yards downhill then it might be an issue. Send it without panic and overthinking, you got it 

Rob nailed it......

He’s talking about with a crossbow, bend at the waist is moot .

My testing , shooting from height , dropping my  bow arm or bending at waist showed no difference in poi . Ya I know everyone says to bend at waist and by all means do , just for me doing both showed little to no difference. Try it yourself . How many have ? 

3 minutes ago, Nomad said:

He’s talking about with a crossbow, bend at the waist is moot .

My testing , shooting from height , dropping my  bow arm or bending at waist showed no difference in poi . Ya I know everyone says to bend at waist and by all means do , just for me doing both showed little to no difference. Try it yourself . How many have ? 

Well, I totally missed the crossbow part.  Hence my explanation with the peep and anchor point.  

That said, put the cross hairs on em and send it.  

• Like 1

This was posted on a crossbow topic, so form,  bending at the waist, etc is N/A with a Xbow.

FYI - Biggest difference in horizontal and straight line distances while up in a typical ~15" treestand are shots way under 10yrds. Most other differences are ~3yrds. Find a trig calculator if you don't trust me!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, nyslowhand said:

This was posted on a crossbow topic, so form,  bending at the waist, etc is N/A with a Xbow.

FYI - Biggest difference in horizontal and straight line distances while up in a typical ~15" treestand are shots way under 10yrds. Most other differences are ~3yrds. Find a trig calculator if you don't trust me!

Just ran a Pythagorean’ theorems, 20 feet up deer at 60 feet ( 20 yards ) true distance to target is 63 feet . A non issue , since your bow shoots the same at 60 and 63 feet .

• Like 1