“Survival”

Buckmaster7600

Nothing on the agenda tomorrow, boat ramp is pretty snowed in and I’m tired of driving a couple hours to ice fish so tomorrow I’m going to head in the woods with only the the stuff a carry in my pack when hunting. Probably only stay out for 24hrs. I’ve done this a few times before. It’s never much fun but it’s given me the confidence that I could survive should I get lost or injured when I’m hunting the ADK’s.

Anyone else ever done this before?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 10

X3 on pics and description.  I have not done this, can't say it is currently on my radar either.  I would like to try winter camping for a weekend.  I might survive that! 

Edited by Otto
  • Like 1

On a slightly more prepped version. We used to love winter camping...making a winter shelter, camping down in the snow, etc. I frequently go out for day wanderings and will make shelters, roast a critter/lunch over a fire and work on the basics. I dont call it survival so to speak, just havin fun! Especially in the winter though, I am very particular in what weather and snow conditions i will do it. The colder the better, and I want dry snow so that it is easier to keep dry.

• Like 1

ever watch that doomsday prepper show?  they used to rate people after on how long they would survive off grid if something happened with all the prep they did.  Even though they might have backup water supply and food staches etc they rarely got over 6-9 months for survival.  I would hope i make it more than 15 minutes or so lol.  I also read something that if the electric grid went down 90% of americans would be dead in a year.  We are def not a people that would live off the land long these days.  But cool challenge to yourself to be able to do that.  

Edited by Robhuntandfish
  • Like 1

Not in extreme winter cold temps, but as a teenager i would go with my Dad to catskills in november and stay a night in a lean-to. We would drive up, hunt the day, stay the night in a lean-to and hunt the next day before driving home. Obviously staying under shelter already built is much easier than building something from scratch.

I’ve done this before but not in a while and I feel like my “survival” kit that I carry in my pack keeps getting smaller and smaller I keep taking out things I won’t need.

When I was 16 or 17 I got lost hunting in the Adirondacks and spent a night. I had a lighter and that was it. It was around 10 degrees that night and it was miserable. After that I started carrying a bunch more stuff but have whittled that down a lot over the years.

• Like 1

I haven't done this specifically in a long time. Not since my late 20's. I do run a lot of things like practice fire making, shelter building, and a few other tasks a few times a year to keep skills sharp. Over the past few years I spend a lot of time in my yard dialing things in so in the event I get turned around I don't flip out. Panic is the #1 killer when people get lost.

I do have a plan for this Summer or Fall to only put a few things in a small pouch and tin, and go out for a full day and sleep out there with only what's in my pouch on a patrol harness. No pack, no water, and probably no food. Small fire kit of flint and steel, a good size tin like an Esee to be able to boil water for consumption, and a small amount of fishing gear. 24 hours isn't too hard, even in the cold as long as you have a way to make a fire. A water source is great but not always possible.

I have no advice to offer as you were in the military, so I'm certain you know how to set up your pack for the trip.

Good luck and make the best of it.

• Like 2

Done a fair bit of lightweight back packing, much of the gear crosses over well into staying out a night when hunting and have done so in the past.

Have an e vent bivy that's a terrific piece of kit to carry along. 12 oz., wind /waterproof and best it breathes. Size of a water bottle and folded fits in a coat pocket.

That and a 600ml ti cup that has travelled all over the world with me are go to items. A few cotton balls with vaseline to start a fire and good to go.

Its fun to be able to stop as late as you want, and not work back to a camp/car/trail head  at end of day.

• Like 2

Done a fair bit of lightweight back packing, much of the gear crosses over well into staying out a night when hunting and have done so in the past.
Have an e vent bivy that's a terrific piece of kit to carry along. 12 oz., wind /waterproof and best it breathes. Size of a water bottle and folded fits in a coat pocket.
That and a 600ml ti cup that has travelled all over the world with me are go to items. A few cotton balls with vaseline to start a fire and good to go.
Its fun to be able to stop as late as you want, and not work back to a camp/car/trail head  at end of day.

Ok so getting ready to head out, I just did a pack dump of exactly what was in it from my last day of hunting the big woods. Here’s my list.

Folding saw

Life straw

Spare batteries AA&AAA

Spare wool socks and gloves

Compass

Zip ties

Head lamp

Electrical tape

Candy bar

Cliff bar

20’ of 550 cord

Lighter

Matches

Medical kit “the basics, bandaids, bandages, burn
cream, antibiotic ointment, iodine, water germicidal tablets, medical tape,etc”

Fire starters

2 50gal trash bags

Foam ass pad

Pens

2 sandwich baggies

Small folding knife in pocket

Outdoor edge folding knife

Small flashlight

Head lamp

I usually have a leatherman multitool but I must have lost it this deer season.

For clothes I’ll be wearing my normal wool pants and wool shirts, Merino wool base layer, smart wool socks, neck gater, merino wool gloves and lacrosse burly boots, my pack is a mystery ranch pop up 18, I doubt I’ll use this pack again next year but it’s what I used this year so I’ll use it today.

I’m going to carry a 22lr Henry carbine instead of a deer rifle for obvious reasons, I considered a shotgun but thought the 22 would be a lot more realistic, should I find some small game.

I don’t carry a pistol when gun hunting but will for this quick trip, it’s a Taurus TX22.

e8a85f2ecdb694ce442ab67b2709b5df.jpg
d9721c27d275a5103b77822d40cd3204.jpg
75564fff9c835234d3cbc5ad98ba4674.jpg

• Like 10

I like it, while I have never done this winter style. As long as I had my big woods safe kit I should live lol. I am sure a couple trial runs would improve the kit and life expectancy times over though.

Throw in a couple gallon bags. One concern is if you get water in your boots and can't dry your boots, you have spare socks but they would get wet as soon as you put them in the boots. Not a perfect solution as your feet sweat but would help I would think.

One thing I will do starting next season from this years experience. I always keep a spare pair of gloves in the bottom of my pack. I got wet a few times and got lazy and did not pull everything out to check. The one day I needed them and pulled them out they were wet. I will vacuum seal them going forward. Maybe put socks in there too. Vacuum sealing will make it smaller and quieter as well.

• Like 1

I like it, while I have never done this winter style. As long as I had my big woods safe kit I should live lol. I am sure a couple trial runs would improve the kit and life expectancy times over though.
Throw in a couple gallon bags. One concern is if you get water in your boots and can't dry your boots, you have spare socks but they would get wet as soon as you put them in the boots. Not a perfect solution as your feet sweat but would help I would think.
One thing I will do starting next season from this years experience. I always keep a spare pair of gloves in the bottom of my pack. I got wet a few times and got lazy and did not pull everything out to check. The one day I needed them and pulled them out they were wet. I will vacuum seal them going forward. Maybe put socks in there too. Vacuum sealing will make it smaller and quieter as well.

With good wool socks a little damp is no problem. I’ve had wet boots many times while hunting. Pour out the boots Change socks and ring out insole. The little remaining moisture isn’t an issue. The key to this is real wool socks and not “Walmart wool”!!!

• Like 1