9mm deer hunting

Karpteach

I was having a conversation with a gentleman about deer hunting with handguns. I'm putting in for my pistol lisence next week. The discussion started with what handguns I was interested in. This hunter(??) claims that he hunts with his 9 mil. I was very wary about this. I used the 9 mil while in the military and I know it's not known for it's range. Has anyone used or known someone who uses a 9 for hunting?

I'm sure somebody does,but i don't think it's to good an idea. A well placed shot at close range but still iffy, I would not use one.

I've used an 8 inch Dan Wesson .44 mag that drops 'em fine, 240 gr jhp. I use a 4 inch Smith .357 as a back up to my ML (gun season) or deer right under me. I like 158 swc or jsp, Buffalo Bore hard cast 180's as well.

This year in shotgun I spined a deer with the 12ga. i walked up and put a .357 Hydra-shock jhp in the ribs,no exit wound. this is a "carry" load for me not hunting load, just happened to be my choice for the day .

Edited by Larry302

Karpteach...While killing a deer with a 9MM is certainly possible, (lots of them have been killed with .22 rimfires) I know of no one who intentionally hunts deer with the 9MM.

Actually, compared to most rifle rounds, even a .41 or .44 mag. is pretty anemic.

I would estimate that there are several dozen ( or even hundreds) of chamberings that would be a better choice for deer hunting than the 9MM..

Thanks for the response folks. I knew something wasn't right with what he was telling me! The 9 is not on my short list of palm shooters. Getting the .380 for concealed carry and home Defence (with a .410 shotgun as back up). Still trying to figure out whAt to get as a hunting revolver. I have time. I hear it takes up to a year to get a Lisence on the Island. :(

Edited by Karpteach

My buddie carries his Baretta 9mm with him when he gun hunts. While sneaking through the brush one day, movement to his right caught his eye. It was a small 4 point rubbing a tree. He slung his shotgun over his shoulder and popped it 4 times in the ribs at 20 yrds with the 9mm dropping it right there before the deer knew what hit him. He was using hollow points and the bucks insides looked like a grenade went off inside it. But no I would not recomend 9mm for deer.

The state troopers went to 45 cal for a reason, a person shot with a 9 mm would still shoot back!! A 9mm was developed as a millitary round designed to wound, there by taking 3 men off the battlefield (2 guys to carry the one wounded). The same is true for the .223 rifle round (snipers don'tuse it they want to put a target down for good!). A deer in my opinion is a lot tougher than a person ..i know if i was hit anywhere with a 12gauge slug i would prolly just lay down n die,not run like you see a deer do!! I would not recommend anything smaller than a 44 mag for deer in a revolver. that only leaves a 45-70 5 shot, and a few other large caliber rounds available. Now if you went to an encore, you can shoot rifle rounds out of (single shot) your choices are about endless!

When I came on the job we were still carrying 38 Spcl six shooters. Then we went to 9's for fire power. It was about as good as the 38's some said, I never believed it though. My dept now has us in 40 S&W's and I finally feel that I have all of the man stopping power I need. All that said, I wouldn't use it on a deer. I hand gun hunted deer with 454 Casull and 44 Mag, they both work great and if anything the Casull is a bit too much. I'm now going to a 45 Long Colt. I much prefer using a rifle. Deer as tough as nails and don't respond to getting shot like people do. Its all flight with them and they will run through a brick wall leaking blood all the way and still get a mile on you before they look back. So no, 9 is no good in my book. I think I just dated myself. Suffice it to say that there are rocks younger than me!

The biggest issue you would have with using a 9mm is finding a good bullet thats not going to expand too fast to get the penetration you are looking for. Ive thought about giving it a go with my .40, waiting for a 30 yard or less shot, but the biggest reason I havent tried it has been lack of a good bullet. The big, hollow points like Hydrashoks, etc are made to expand quickly and not over penetrate. They design them that way because they are personal defense loads, and you dont want the bullet going through the attacker and then blowing through walls, etc putting others in the building at more risk. On the other hand, you dont want an FMJ that just punches a hole through, doesnt expand much and cause the shock you are looking for. I have throught of maybe taking some FMJs and using a dremel tool to slice an X in the tip of the jacket, which should hold the bullet together, but still allow it to expand. I would want to test them on some ballistic geletain first to see what they do though. Maybe one of these days.

• Like 1

Ive thought about giving it a go with my .40, waiting for a 30 yard or less shot, but the biggest reason I havent tried it has been lack of a good bullet.

I've shot 2 deer with a .40 over the years, both with 180 grain black talons.

1st deer was a 8 pt buck, I had the shotgun unloaded and on the ground tied to my climbing stand, and was just starting up the tree when my father spooked the buck on the way to his stand. I hear the buck coming through the ticket, and had a clean shot where he would cross the trail I was set-up on. I got off 2 quick shots from about 20 yards, and he dropped like a sack of bricks within 60-70 years. Even going through a rib, the black talon stayed in 1 piece and expanded as designed.

2nd deer was a doe that dad had shot on the opening day that there was like 2 foot of snow on the ground (16 ? years ago)... He hit it in the front shoulder, and the doe travelled for about a mile in and out of the woods and across open field just far enough away that dad wasn't comfortable taking a shot. She finally went into a drainage ditch that was overgrown and so thick it was almost impossible to walk through. I left the shotgun, and just carried the pistol into the ditch, thinking that I could "push" her out to a point where dad could get an open shot. As it turned out, I found her laying down and used a single shot to finish the chase. Same performance from the black talon on this one as well.

I can also change my engine oil with a hacksaw and a pair of channel locks. It doesn't mean I should,.... right tool for the right job fellas. A 9 or a 40 (my personal fav for defensive shooting) are designed for close in combat. Which the last time I check is not what we are doing when we deer hunt. Lots of thinks will kill a deer. A well placed speer, a boulder, or a stick of dynamite. All three will kill a man too. It doesn't mean its ethical to use those as hunting implements. I have no doubt a Black Talon will kill a deer, it would kill any of us. I would not want to get hit by one, a Core Lockt bullet would ruin your day too. The Core Lockt is designed to have a more effective killing range for game. I fully understand why JJ needed to use his 40 S&W. Both were last resort kind situations. The way I read his post it wasn't his intention to hunt with the 40 as his primary firearm.

I think handgun hunting is great, go out and get yourself a 44 or 45 Colt (not an ACP), and get a deer inside of 50 yards and you'll be having backstraps for sure with a single well placed shot.

Upstaterifle, NYS law is you can own or have a pistol in your possession without a valid pistol permit in a class that is purposed for carrying it for sport (so a Premise Permit wouldn't be okay). If you were to have an unlicensed pistol in your posession, in my line of work we call that a "Gun Collar." Its a NYS minimum 1 year jail sentence (statutory). Keep that in mind even if someone wants to loan a pistol to hunt with. For that reason most issuing municipalaties have a "target/sportsman" license classification. It permits you to carry the pistol for hunting purposes provided its legal to hunt with a pistol in that area. For example, if you have a vaild pistol permit from Dutchess County, and you want to take your favorite 44 Mag model 629 in the field in Westchester County you will be breaking the law. Because a handgun is not a leagl hunting implement in Westchester County. Therefore, you just voided the purpose of your permit. Hope that helps clear things up. It wasn't a bad question at all, and most people don't understand the limits of the law with regard to possession of a handgun for hunting.

Upstaterifle, NYS law is you can own or have a pistol in your possession without a valid pistol permit in a class that is purposed for carrying it for sport (so a Premise Permit wouldn't be okay). If you were to have an unlicensed pistol in your posession, in my line of work we call that a "Gun Collar." Its a NYS minimum 1 year jail sentence (statutory). Keep that in mind even if someone wants to loan a pistol to hunt with. For that reason most issuing municipalaties have a "target/sportsman" license classification. It permits you to carry the pistol for hunting purposes provided its legal to hunt with a pistol in that area. For example, if you have a vaild pistol permit from Dutchess County, and you want to take your favorite 44 Mag model 629 in the field in Westchester County you will be breaking the law. Because a handgun is not a leagl hunting implement in Westchester County. Therefore, you just voided the purpose of your permit. Hope that helps clear things up. It wasn't a bad question at all, and most people don't understand the limits of the law with regard to possession of a handgun for hunting.

Thanks for the info Eaglerider. I have been told that it is hard to get a carry and conceal in NY. Looking into getting my regular pistol permit this year and wasn't sure if there was a specific type. Now I know, "target/sportsman" license classification. Can you have this classification for other areas other than the municipality where you are applying for the permit? If I live in Albany county for example, but hunt in Saratoga county and Schenectady counties for the most part.

Thanks for the info Eaglerider. I have been told that it is hard to get a carry and conceal in NY. Looking into getting my regular pistol permit this year and wasn't sure if there was a specific type. Now I know, "target/sportsman" license classification. Can you have this classification for other areas other than the municipality where you are applying for the permit? If I live in Albany county for example, but hunt in Saratoga county and Schenectady counties for the most part.

That all depends on where you are. In my county, a CCW permit is not that tough to get. It can take a while, but its not hard to get. Once you have a permit, it is good for anywhere in the state besides NYC, meaning its not just for the county you got it in.

a 44 or 45 Colt (not an ACP),

Upstaterifle, NYS law is you can own or have a pistol in your possession without a valid pistol permit in a class that is purposed for carrying it for sport

Did you mean can't?

I used to use my .45 ACP as my close range weapon when hunting in Putnam County. Usually during drives. My T/C .35 Rem was my long range gun. I shot many deer with that .45 acp over the years and it works just fine with the right bullet and of course a well place shot. Are there better handgun calibers out there, sure. A 10mm being one of them.

That all depends on where you are. In my county, a CCW permit is not that tough to get. It can take a while, but its not hard to get. Once you have a permit, it is good for anywhere in the state besides NYC, meaning its not just for the county you got it in.

So it is fine to hunt with a CCW permit as long as you are in an area which allows you to hunt with a handgun?