Public Hunting Land  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Which sign would you prefer on NYS Wildlife Management Areas?

Wildlife Management Areas (WMAs) are lands that are supposed to be managed for wildlife; wildlife study; and wildlife-related recreation. Wildlife-related recreation is hunting, trapping, and bird watching. WMAs have different rules & more restrictions than other "state lands". Many states include the language "public hunting area" and/or "open to licensed hunters & trappers". Which sinage do you think is more informative? I like the green signs and detest the yellow ones. I want the DEC to use the green signs. What are your opinions?

Understood why you prefer the green signs but I think the yellow appears more public friendly. To me it just seems like a universaly accepted sign even non hunting public can easily identify...kinda like the recyclable triangle symbol is farmiliar to everyone.

Perhaps if one is an anti, they will go out of their way to find out where the hunting grounds are anyway. We should probably think of the reason behind the signs in the first place.

The reason for posting a sign is to let people know who's property it belongs to, and what may be going on in that property, if it was available for public use.

With that said, STATE LAND should be on said sign, like that in the yellow. But stating that this is a WMA, doesn't give much information to those that don't know what is meant by that. Stating that Hunting and Fishing is permitted by License would greatly help in letting people that what goes on behind those signs, so that they can take caution should they decide to enter.

I like the green and think it is much more informative especialy to the general public... While the yellow is universal the green will stand out as differant and eye catching and will ensure they understand it's primary use. Public Hunting Grounds is more to the point where as the yellow looks more like a camping allowed sign with no ref to hunting. Just the way I see it at 12 am, might look dif in da morning.

Mostly, I am confused as to why there are two different signs printed up to perform essentially the same function. As far as I have observed, they are both still in use, and used interchangeably. As far as preference, I have no real preference. Either one will stand out just fine, but putting them on a separate board will make them last a lot longer than simply nailing them to trees. Which only lasts until the growth of the tree pulls the nail heads through the sign (Something that I have seen happen inside of one or two years. Lastly, I would say that there is plenty of room on either sign for perhaps a little more detail of what the land is used for (in fine print), for the benefit of anyone who happens to stumble across a line of these signs. Never mind all the pretty graphics ..... just explain what the land uses are as briefly and as clearly as possible.

Doesn't matter the color or type, they still get shot up and stolen just as easily. If they were nailed on a board, it would be an easier take.. Can't believe the people that just don't care about anyone elses property. Their not put there for someones bar room. Bet the replacement cost is quite high.

Edited by landtracdeerhunter

Mostly, I am confused as to why there are two different signs printed up to perform essentially the same function. As far as I have observed, they are both still in use, and used interchangeably. As far as preference, I have no real preference. Either one will stand out just fine, but putting them on a separate board will make them last a lot longer than simply nailing them to trees. Which only lasts until the growth of the tree pulls the nail heads through the sign (Something that I have seen happen inside of one or two years. Lastly, I would say that there is plenty of room on either sign for perhaps a little more detail of what the land is used for (in fine print), for the benefit of anyone who happens to stumble across a line of these signs. Never mind all the pretty graphics ..... just explain what the land uses are as briefly and as clearly as possible.

Same here, u stole the words right out of my mouth!!

Doesn't matter the color or type, they still get shot up and stolen just as easily. If they were nailed on a board, it would be an easier take.. Can't believe the people that just don't care about anyone elses property. Their not put there for someones bar room. Bet the replacement cost is quite high.

Actually, in one case that I know of, they are not being replaced. If they fall down, they stay down. I am sure that its a budget thing, but I know that one DEC guy actually got out of his car two years ago and walked up on the hill along the property line and I'm sure he must have passed at least a dozen downed signs. Well, they're still down.

Personally, I like the green one. I think it discourages people who are non hunters/trappers/bird watchers to stay out of this area. Now I don't know about anyone else, but I have seen some weird people biking, hiking, wandering around, dog walking, running/ jogging, swimming and God knows whatever else on these (I have hunted many) WMA's. I don't think it is necessary to say that it is state land. I think anyone who is looking for a WMA to hunt/trap/study/birdwatch will know that it is state land and that that doesn't need to be conveyed to the general public. People see state land and think it is like a playground to play on, and they don't use it for its intended use. :huh:

Personally, I like the green one. I think it discourages people who are non hunters/trappers/bird watchers to stay out of this area. Now I don't know about anyone else, but I have seen some weird people biking, hiking, wandering around, dog walking, running/ jogging, swimming and God knows whatever else on these (I have hunted many) WMA's. I don't think it is necessary to say that it is state land. I think anyone who is looking for a WMA to hunt/trap/study/birdwatch will know that it is state land and that that doesn't need to be conveyed to the general public. People see state land and think it is like a playground to play on, and they don't use it for its intended use. :huh:

The State land is for everyone's use , not just hunting & trapping . Hikers , sight-seeing folks , etc have a right to be there . What do you see as it's "intended use" ?

I think the strangest thing I saw on state land was very late in the afternoon, way up on the hill in the middle of nowhere. I was on stand, and all of a sudden this wacky looking dude dressed in flourescent pink tights came bounding through the woods like some kind of gazelle. Needless to say that pretty well screwed up that hunt. That was the beginning of many such encounters during bow season. I guess when gun season opens up they all head for cover because I have never seen a biker, hiker or jogger up there after opening day. It's a new day in the state woods now, and some areas are being taken over by non-hunting uses. It's a bit hard to get used to after all the decades of non-interference from such activities. But I guess if you are going to hunt public land it's something that must be accepted.