New toy

So, I use a snowmobile once a yr which made it hard to justify owning one. I go to Maine for a 5 day ice fishing trip. Buddys camp is 12 miles from the road and the only only camp on a 2 acre island.  I've been borrowing one, but hated doing it. 

Picked up this 97 pantara 580 EFI with 3800mi. E-start and reverse.  Very clean sled and runs fantastic.  

Leaving for Maine Tues for our trip. 

10173.jpeg

• Like 25

Congrats!! Nice looking machine. I had a 96 Polaris xlt 2up years ago and it ran like a champ. With my boys being really young at the time the wife and I didn't use it much so i sold it to a buddy for 600.00...think I paid 900 a few years earlier. Know my boys are older they want to get one to play around on in the winter......earlier in January around my area of WNY when the snow was minimal you could find great sleds for 1500 bucks.....once the snow started to pile up those same sleds were 2500.00 all day. Guess we'll wait until next fall when the prices bottom out again.

Sent from my SM-A716V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 10 months later...
On 2/25/2021 at 7:36 PM, mowin said:

So, I use a snowmobile once a yr which made it hard to justify owning one. I go to Maine for a 5 day ice fishing trip. Buddys camp is 12 miles from the road and the only only camp on a 2 acre island.  I've been borrowing one, but hated doing it. 

Picked up this 97 pantara 580 EFI with 3800mi. E-start and reverse.  Very clean sled and runs fantastic.  

Leaving for Maine Tues for our trip. 

10173.jpeg

How’s that sled running?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Lawdwaz said:

How’s that sled running?

Just got her out of the shop last week to get ready for this yrs trip to Maine on Feb 2-7th. 

Started rite up. Ran it around the yard for a few minutes, and ran great. Going to check the slides, gear oil, and grease her up this week. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mowin said:

Just got her out of the shop last week to get ready for this yrs trip to Maine on Feb 2-7th. 

Started rite up. Ran it around the yard for a few minutes, and ran great. Going to check the slides, gear oil, and grease her up this week. 

You should put zip ties on your spare belt . Alot of scumbags will stroll by and snatch them if you park outside a restaurant or bar.

2 hours ago, GreeneHunter said:

Nice Sled .... your Buddy's camp sounds like a Helluva Camp .... only camp on a 2 Acre Island !!!

It's a awesome place.  Very rustic. Woodstove for main heat source, with a propane ventless heater for back-up.  Unfortunately the only bathroom is a outhouse.  One hasn't truly experienced a outhouse until you sit on a -20° toilet seat, lol

3 hours ago, Jeremy K said:

You should put zip ties on your spare belt . Alot of scumbags will stroll by and snatch them if you park outside a restaurant or bar.

Good tip, but this sled will never see the parking lot of a restaurant or bar. Only gets used for this fishing trip. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, mowin said:

It's a awesome place.  Very rustic. Woodstove for main heat source, with a propane ventless heater for back-up.  Unfortunately the only bathroom is a outhouse.  One hasn't truly experienced a outhouse until you sit on a -20° toilet seat, lol

Pro tip: Cut out a new toilet seat from rigid insulation in place of whatever is there now.  Life saving in those negative temp situations.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Otto said:

Pro tip: Cut out a new toilet seat from rigid insulation in place of whatever is there now.  Life saving in those negative temp situations.

I just wait until someone warms it up for me. Lol.    It's truly amazing how bad a shithouse can smell in -20° temps with 6 guys using it.  Year's where there hasn't been lots of snow, I'd walk to shore and fertilize a pine tree.  One of my buddies works for a waste water department and brings up some Industrial stink be gone.  Doesn't really help.   Definitely try the ridged insulation tip. 

Edited by mowin

2 hours ago, mowin said:

I just wait until someone warms it up for me. Lol.    It's truly amazing how bad a shithouse can smell in -20° temps with 6 guys using it.  Year's where there hasn't been lots of snow, I'd walk to shore and fertilize a pine tree.  One of my buddies works for a waste water department and brings up some Industrial stink be gone.  Doesn't really help.   Definitely try the ridged insulation tip. 

What the hell are you guys eating?  Never mind, I don't want to know! 

At my friends cabin last year we used an outdoor toilet in below zero temps.  It was not as bad as I thought it was going to be, and I don't remember a smell.  The cold certainly makes you concentrate on getting down to business though. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, mowin said:

Adirondack camps they bring the toilet seat inside and hang it, then take it out with them when they need it. 

• Like 2