EHD...

NonTypical

I am in southern Columbia County and the EHD deaths on the farm that I hunt is horrible.  They have died in the small pond on my lawn, the small stream running through a large swamp and even in the adjacent apple orchards.  I have not seen a deer feeding in the fields in over two weeks.  Tomorrow I will be doing a scouting of the entire farm in anticipation of setting up my ground blinds for rifle season.  I hope there is a deer or two still alive in the REA.

I plan on doing that, but I still need to get into the woods and see what's going on.  I have done it for so many years that it would seem out of place if I didn't spend some time in the woods with my rifle.  Thank you and good luck to you.

• Like 3

I am in southern Columbia County and the EHD deaths on the farm that I hunt is horrible.  They have died in the small pond on my lawn, the small stream running through a large swamp and even in the adjacent apple orchards.  I have not seen a deer feeding in the fields in over two weeks.  Tomorrow I will be doing a scouting of the entire farm in anticipation of setting up my ground blinds for rifle season.  I hope there is a deer or two still alive in the REA.

I just heard from a buddy who spoke to a taxidermist in that area…he’s predicting about an 80% loss of the herd. Not sure how that number was reached but from other local reports, they sound just like what you are seeing Poppy. We had some good bucks on camera a few weeks back and now just seeing a few spikes and some fours - decent amount of doe but not as many as a few weeks back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

We had an up tick on our river farm, I was averaging about 30 pictures day on 4 cell cams before the gun slaughter season. Getting about twice that now . In years past it would be nothing to get 100 pictures a day.
We aren’t hunting the farm at all this year, not during the bow season or the regular season to give it break and let the area recover. So deer are moving into this large piece with no pressure.
I can’t say other hunters in the area are doing the same as there seems to be as much hunting, and trespassing as usual In the vicinity.

• 7 months later...
19 minutes ago, crappyice said:

How early does EHD start to rear it's ugly head?
Or, more optimistically, when can we breathe a sigh of relief that it is not showing up this season?

I haven't heard a peep about it this year. Maybe the lack of rain did something?

28 minutes ago, crappyice said:

Or, more optimistically, when can we breathe a sigh of relief that it is not showing up this season?

I would think anytime now.  Last year, middle of August was bad.  The smell of dead animals was everywhere at that time.   

19 minutes ago, dmandoes said:

I would think anytime now.  Last year, middle of August was bad.  The smell of dead animals was everywhere at that time.   

Yup….. and this heat wave isn’t going to help. The midges thrive in drought like conditions.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, crappyice said:

It will hit the farm deer first most years just because of sheer numbers and so far good news with no reports anywhere that I have heard of in the industry. 

• Like 6

Yup….. and this heat wave isn’t going to help. The midges thrive in drought like conditions.

I haven't heard a peep about it this year. Maybe the lack of rain did something?

It’s been insanely dry locally. I’ve been wondering the same. No word yet? Thankfully….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 2

I read somewhere that last yrs EHD in our areas was due mainly from a storm that basically blew the midges into the areas that never had them before, and after the winter, we wouldn't see EHD return.  

I hope they were correct. 

On 7/22/2022 at 7:21 AM, crappyice said:

Typically I think its in late summer like mid august and later