A disaster waiting to happen

RangerClay

It's kind of a variation on an old indian trick that used to be used on deer. This is a lot like when the indians used to drape a deer hide over themselves complete with the deer head and antlers ..... lol.

anyway, some dim-wit thought that would make a nice modern day tactic for turkeys and modified the technique to suit. Yes, I would say that it is expected that the hunter would be adequately concealed behind this thing since they did talk about closing the distance on a hung-up turkey. I'm telling you, people are all looking for some silly short-cuts (easy way out) to replace actual hunting ....... and safety be damned.

Yes you are right ...... this is a disaster waiting to happen. The stupidity of this farce will reflect on all of us when the first fatality hits the papers.

It's kind of a variation on an old indian trick that used to be used on deer. This is a lot like when the indians used to drape a deer hide over themselves complete with the deer head and antlers ..... lol.

anyway, some dim-wit thought that would make a nice modern day tactic for turkeys and modified the technique to suit. Yes, I would say that it is expected that the hunter would be adequately concealed behind this thing since they did talk about closing the distance on a hung-up turkey. I'm telling you, people are all looking for some silly short-cuts (easy way out) to replace actual hunting ....... and safety be damned.

Yes you are right ...... this is a disaster waiting to happen. The stupidity of this farce will reflect on all of us when the first fatality hits the papers.

Totally agree..

I may be not interpreting the ad correctly, but I did not see where to said hide behind it and sneak up on birds. When they say close the gap on hung up birds, I think it means the birds will come to it. With common sense ad setting them up like you wold any decoy by staying off to the side, I could see them being effective. I doubt they are the size of a normal umbrella, if it folds down and fits in a pack. If they were, the bird pic on there would look gargantuan. Granted there are idiots out there, and some dummy may try it. But I have to refer back to the old rules of gun safety. Know your target and well beyond. However I must also say there are more hunting incidents during turkey season than deer. Hunter insanity. If you were hiding behind that thing trying to sneak up on a bird, it would not look anything like a bird strutting. Plus while you were trying to crawl behind it and getting scratched up and making so much noise, it would be funny to watch, but otherwise useless.

• Like 1

I looked at these at a show last year. Had one in my hands. Smaller than a normal size umbrella. Not the same company, but similar in design. As I recall, it is intended for decoy use only. Their were warnings on the outside of the box, as well as in the box, saying not to be used as a blind. The manufacture rep. said they were in umbrella shape because they held up better against the wind . Anyone ever hear of Montana Decoys. Their flat in design, and the deer decoy, a hunter could very well hide behind. Don't see anyone knocking them. Remember, where you set your 3d targets may be just as bad as hiding behind these, if their in line from where your sitting, and another hunter mistakes them for a real bird and shoots. Placement and safety, go hand in hand.

Edited by landtracdeerhunter

I don't get this whole product. even if it were to be used as a decoy/screen for stalking (which would be stupid and asking for trouble) how far can we shoot turkey? 30-40-50-60? how far really? I personally run at the 30 yard limit but let's use 50 yards. We talk about the idiot behind one of these screens....how about the idiot seeing this thing at 50 yards and not being able to tell it isn't a freaking turkey? There are two lines that should not be in the gene pool.

• Like 1

Their made to fold up quick like an umbrella, and get going fast. Sneak up on that old turkey while his back is turn, yeah right. If someone thinks a product will sell and make money, they will market it. To bad, nobody told them that stalking should never be used in turkey hunting. Guess if they show them stalking on tv, it's ok. Not........Just like selling baiting products for deer in N.Y., ok to sell, ok to buy; but sure against the law to use. I don't get it, DEC advises against stalking, a certain percentage of injury is due to it, and yet they allow it to go on. Kinda like the wear orange while deer hunting debate. oops

If just used as decoys... these actually are not a bad idea... if they actually work that is... I'm not sure that a turkey painted on an umbrella is gonna fool a big tom turkey. I'm sure these fellas don't advocate using these things to sneak up on birds, but we all know some goofball out there is gonna think its a good idea and become a statistic. For those of us smarter than that.. these umbrellas might be a good way to lug around a decoy if they work.

i dont forsee anyone getting shot using one of these, not that i would but its not deer hunting where ppl just shoot at brush cuz something moving. you gotta put your eyes on a turkey very well and know exactly where your shooting to shoot one. i know there is a lot of dumbasses in this world but i just dont see it happening. a real decoy is different it at least looks real, these do not look real whatsoever

They keep u dry if caught in a cloud bust out in the back forty. Their also handy to carry, hook right over front of shoulder. Don't know about anyone else, but I never seem to have enough hands going out to the blind a mile away. Gun, decoys, chair, blind, calls, camera, tripod, drink, and oh ya, foo............d, just some much stuff to lug.

i dont forsee anyone getting shot using one of these, not that i would but its not deer hunting where ppl just shoot at brush cuz something moving. you gotta put your eyes on a turkey very well and know exactly where your shooting to shoot one.

you might want to check up on some stories of guys that have been shot mistakenly for a turkey... there are many of them.. I personally know a guy that got shot in the face as he walked over a rise in a field.. a guy was shooting into the sun and thought his head was a turkey.. his is now permanently blind in both eyes... fortunately he lived and still turkey hunts... and now has a business making turkey hunting products... there are more than a few "dumba$$e$" indeed.

Edited by nyantler