Trespassing and Camera Stealing Stories and Solutions

Five Seasons

1 hour ago, squirrelwhisperer said:

It doesn't matter if my boobytrap knew the difference! If they (kids and teens) were not messing with my cam, they have nothing to worry about.

Legalities of placing booby traps on public (or private) land aside, if bodily injury is incurred, I would think you’d open yourself up to a lawsuit.  

2 hours ago, squirrelwhisperer said:

It doesn't matter if my boobytrap knew the difference! If they (kids and teens) were not messing with my cam, they have nothing to worry about.

just think back to being a teen though. Heck I used to drive down an orchard road and park with my girlfriend. One time I got stuck, the owner actually helped pull me out the next day. I was super embarrassed and he was cool about it. He was like "I get it, no worries just be careful when its muddy". That's very different from a guy driving down that road to go poach deer. And if a teen was going for a walk with his girl and then realized he was caught on camera and made a bad decision to cover his tracks I view that differently and wouldn't want to harm the kid. Would I still be pissed and wondering about my missing cam? Of course. that's all i meant by that. 

• Like 2

I recommend the theft dust because there is no injury/booby trap; however that purple stain stays on your skin for a very long time, scrubbing normally makes it spread and its really hard to explain away...and it's pretty cheap.

Use gloves yourself when using it and an old "decoy" camera is easy to come by from others...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Steuben Jerry said:

Legalities of placing booby traps on public (or private) land aside, if bodily injury is incurred, I would think you’d open yourself up to a lawsuit.  

If they can't catch the guy that stole my cam, they can't prove he took it, can't prove it wasn't his....just sayin.

Reminds me about something involving geese and ganders. hmmmm, what was that again?

16 minutes ago, Salmon_Run said:

I recommend the theft dust because there is no injury/booby trap; however that purple stain stays on your skin for a very long time, scrubbing normally makes it spread and its really hard to explain away...and it's pretty cheap.

Use gloves yourself when using it and an old "decoy" camera is easy to come by from others...

i can't imagine that rain wouldn't ruin or wash away the dust being stored outside though?

17 minutes ago, Belo said:

i can't imagine that rain wouldn't ruin or wash away the dust being stored outside though?

Use it on the SD card and inside the "controls" when they open it up and take out the card it get onto their skin and spreads, if your hands are moist or you try to wipe it off it spreads even further.  

The exterior would hold the powder for a short time but elements will degrade the powder and ultimately wash it away....used inside on SD cards, controls and batteries it'll last...I used a old junk camera and know they would ultimately try new batteries and wonder why it wasn't working...I'm sure their hands were a mess for some time.image.jpeg.51d81d8081fd4fed072dac337ec926cb.jpeg

Edited by Salmon_Run
added picture
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Belo said:

just think back to being a teen though. Heck I used to drive down an orchard road and park with my girlfriend. One time I got stuck, the owner actually helped pull me out the next day. I was super embarrassed and he was cool about it. He was like "I get it, no worries just be careful when its muddy". That's very different from a guy driving down that road to go poach deer. And if a teen was going for a walk with his girl and then realized he was caught on camera and made a bad decision to cover his tracks I view that differently and wouldn't want to harm the kid. Would I still be pissed and wondering about my missing cam? Of course. that's all i meant by that. 

I'm not saying I would. I haven't set out a cam in years because of this. I understand your point but if no one touches my cam they would have nothing to worry about, right?

For me, as a kid in the woods with a girl, take all the pics you want!! I got a girl!!!

23 minutes ago, squirrelwhisperer said:

If they can't catch the guy that stole my cam, they can't prove he took it, can't prove it wasn't his....just sayin.

Reminds me about something involving geese and ganders. hmmmm, what was that again?

Lawsuits are civil court, not criminal court though, right? With different standards? I’m certainly not a legal expert by any stretch but I read of people winning ridiculous lawsuits. I’d imagine the real financial jeopardy is the cost of defending yourself. And then there’s the gall of having to defend yourself against a POS that stole from you.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Steuben Jerry said:

Lawsuits are civil court, not criminal court though, right? With different standards? I’m certainly not a legal expert by any stretch but I read of people winning ridiculous lawsuits. I’d imagine the real financial jeopardy is the cost of defending yourself. And then there’s the gall of having to defend yourself against a POS that stole from you.

It all started with a hypothetical question. I don't put cams out anymore. So, none of this would ever take place. 

Would I be wrong for thinking it would feel good to know what happened if this actually took place and I found my camera missing?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, grampy said:

Have had stands stolen

Have had cameras stolen.

This past season even had a dirtbag sitting in one of our stands and proceeded to tell me to get F'n lost!

No end to the enjoyment of dealing with dirtbags!!!

but great story forever there!!!!!! had him busted and then tagged out!  Best story all damn year hands down

Edited by Robhuntandfish
  • Like 2

Somewhat related, at least to the trespassing, was about 20 years ago when I go to hunt and there was a unknown vehicle in on my uncles property. I parked in the gateway and went hunting. Came back to a note saying that I was rude for parking where they could no get out with their 8 point buck. I thought that was amusing and came back about 4 hours later. Suggested they get out and stay out. Brought a number of our hunting party along. Got them kicked out of the adjacent F&G club. Good riddence.

• Like 2

I've been lucky and never had a stand or camera  stolen. I have a few of each scattered around public land for all of deer season though. 

Once, someone  thought I was encroaching on "his" territory. They super glued my bike lock on my treestand. In the course of trying to get it off I slipped and stabbed myself in my hand. Mad! I guess so! Lol. And I rarely will lose my cool. 

He had wooden ladder stands all over the place in that area. Operative word is had..;). This was probably 6-8 years ago , I still don't have feelings in my pointer finger. Stupid mistake.

27 minutes ago, ncountry said:

He had wooden ladder stands all over the place in that area. Operative word is had..;). This was probably 6-8 years ago , I still don't have feelings in my pointer finger. Stupid mistake.

Those wooden ladders are dangerous , especially if every other step is missing !   LOL

• Haha 1

On 2/7/2022 at 12:00 PM, Biz-R-OWorld said:

How deep did you bury them? I'm always worried if I don't go 4+ feet, fox/yotes will dig it up.

You are correct. I buried a dead sheep under an uprooted tree,dug a hole in the hole the root ball left and after that I cut the top of the tree and the root ball laid back over the grave. It was about 3 ' deep and a few weeks later I walked past it to go hunting and the yokes a had dug it up. Through and around the roots even.

So 4' plus are recommended.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Robhuntandfish said:

but great story forever there!!!!!! had him busted and then tagged out!  Best story all damn year hands down

A day I'll never forget!!! My day ended much better than the dirtbags did!!! 

Sometimes the karma works out perfectly!!

• Like 5

3 hours ago, left field said:

Ritualistic sacrifice to the Ancient Ones?

No,the sheep died of old age and digging a hole is hard. So I used an existing hole. 

I do like the way you think though...

Have you ever heard of biodynamic preparations? Some of those are crazy,I got introduced a long time ago on a farm in Oregon. I wasn't sure what kind of a place I ended up at,haha. 

1 hour ago, BowmanMike said:

Have you ever heard of biodynamic preparations? Some of those are crazy,I got introduced a long time ago on a farm in Oregon. I wasn't sure what kind of a place I ended up at,haha. 

This reminds me of the time my brother , who had a roadside stand, wanted to make his own organic fertilizer. I would bring him back my fish remains . He put them into a 55 gallon drum with lid. We started this in ice fishing season and come mid spring he was done.lol. couldn't stand to get anywhere near that barrel. It still is across the rd at the end of one of the meadows ..nowhere near the house.ha.ha.ha

• Like 1

21 hours ago, grampy said:

Have had stands stolen

Have had cameras stolen.

This past season even had a dirtbag sitting in one of our stands and proceeded to tell me to get F'n lost!

No end to the enjoyment of dealing with dirtbags!!!

I woulda got me chain saw out of my truck and cut the tree down with him in it

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, squirrelwhisperer said:

I woulda got me chain saw out of my truck and cut the tree down with him in it

He’d have likely filled you with lead before you got too deep with your cut don’t you think ?  A chainsaw is no match for a repeating rifle.  

Thats why such matters are best left to law enforcement (police or DEC).  In such a situation, I would simply call 911, report an armed and belligerent intruder on my property, and let them sort it out.  That’s what some of our tax money goes to support.  

Most perpetrators will run off when they hear you make that call.  Some are dumb enough to hold tight, and be taken away in cuffs.  Either way, it becomes somebody else’s problem at that point and you can get back to hunting.  Taking the law into your own hands is just plain dumb.

Edited by wolc123

On 2/8/2022 at 2:20 PM, Salmon_Run said:

Use it on the SD card and inside the "controls" when they open it up and take out the card it get onto their skin and spreads, if your hands are moist or you try to wipe it off it spreads even further.  

The exterior would hold the powder for a short time but elements will degrade the powder and ultimately wash it away....used inside on SD cards, controls and batteries it'll last...I used a old junk camera and know they would ultimately try new batteries and wonder why it wasn't working...I'm sure their hands were a mess for some time.image.jpeg.51d81d8081fd4fed072dac337ec926cb.jpeg

ah yeah I guess if i was putting it on a dummy camera that would make sense. Seems like way to big a hassle on an active one. will keep this one in mind. 

1 minute ago, Belo said:

ah yeah I guess if i was putting it on a dummy camera that would make sense. Seems like way to big a hassle on an active one. will keep this one in mind. 

I wouldn't use it on an active one, but old old broken camera conspicuously placed makes great "bait"... that powder is nasty stuff to wash off and only time erases it..

8 hours ago, wolc123 said:

He’d have likely filled you with lead before you got too deep with your cut don’t you think ?  A chainsaw is no match for a repeating rifle.  

Thats why such matters are best left to law enforcement (police or DEC).  In such a situation, I would simply call 911, report an armed and belligerent intruder on my property, and let them sort it out.  That’s what some of our tax money goes to support.  

Most perpetrators will run off when they hear you make that call.  Some are dumb enough to hold tight, and be taken away in cuffs.  Either way, it becomes somebody else’s problem at that point and you can get back to hunting.  Taking the law into your own hands is just plain dumb.

Thanks for ruining my fantasy lol. 

Since you brought it up, wouldn't I have to prove to the cop that the stand is mine at that point? What would you suggest would be the best way to prove to the officer that it was in fact my stand and not the guy sitting in it?