Watch your backstop

erussell

Good reason to make sure you have something to stop your arrow if you miss or have a pass through.

Surgery was performed at Children’s Hospital in Milwaukee to remove an arrow from the body of a 7-year-old Campbellsport girl following an apparent accidental shooting.

Aryanna R. Schneeberg is listed in stable condition.

The girl was struck in the back with an arrow Sunday night while walking on the 100 block of East Main Street. The location is on the opposite side of the street near the Campbellsport Police Department.

Fond du Lac County Sheriff Mick Fink said that a bow, arrows and other items were recovered as a result of a neighborhood canvass. Fink said five detectives, himself and a Campbellsport officer worked on the investigation until around 10:30-11 p.m. Sunday.

“It appears to be the result of a stray arrow,” Fink said, adding that the victim was walking with 2-3 other girls when she was struck.

The items recovered in the proximity of the incident will be transported to the Wisconsin state crime lab, for analysis.

“We will hopefully get to the bottom of it,” Fink said.

The incident was reported at 5:37 p.m. Sunday. Aryanna was transported by Campbellsport Ambulance to St. Agnes Hospital and then transferred to Milwaukee Children’s Hospital by Flight for Life helicopter. Most of the arrow was left in place until it could be surgically removed.

Perfect example of why shooting in a residential area should not be done.

The only way to consider it would be to have the backstop tight against your own house so the only possible

risk would be to the shooter and their family - not the neighborhood.

I see deer targets set up in residential areas, where their not suppose to be shooting, and think how stupid (and irresponsible) they are! It's not just about a backstop, but also what would happen if they accidentally pull off on the shot (arms get tired, mosquito bites at the wrong time, etc...) causing the arrow to hit the edge of the target, deflects, and ends up God only knows where? Very worrysome in residential areas!!

Lucky Girl! One of the reasons why I prefer bowhunting over gun hunting in suburban areas. This sort of thing should not happen. And I would have to agree, I don;t think shortening the distance for bow hunting is advisable or warranted. As past President of a local gun club, several years ago, I had to go the the home of an individual who is the neighbor of one of our land owners that allows us to post their property for hunting, anyway, the neighbor was IRATE when he found a arrow with broadhead sticking out of the siding of his house. And who could blame him. We then posted much of the area around the perimeter of huntable land as a restricted safety zone.

We had a lady who was shot in the back a couple of years ago 4 blocks from my home. The section of the Bronx I live maybe very suburban but it's still the city so that means no one has a yard that's bigger than 10 by 10 yards, max. I think the guy tried to draw back a bow that was way too heavy and did one of those point up in the air to draw back before coming down on his target. We'll never know. He stated he was shooting in his back yard and it went off "by accident". The arrow travelled several city blocks and came down on this ladies buttocks. Police calculated arc,angle, and trajectory to find the culprit.

not enough info, age of shooter, legal or not distance, sounds like kids f**ing around. esp if police picked up arrows n bow around neighborhood i know i wouldnt leave a hunting/ target bow out lying around, real question should be where were parents of shooter if it turns out to be a kid and i would bet $$ on that. As for distance i could be 200 yards away and still hit some one walking in a neighbor hood, plus town prolly already has no discharge of firearms law on books and yes that includes bows so legal distance is still not an issue as it was prolly illegal to discharge to begin with. Hope there is an update to this...

Edited by G-Man

as a archery pro shop owner for years. This also occured in PA were some kids were in a sand box playing. A home owner about 3 houses away was shooting in his back yard, He drew and the d loop let go on the way back the arrow traveled and hit a little girl. My shop insurace suggested that he was being sued, the archery shop that put on the d-loop also, and the easton arrow maker as well as the bow compony were all named. I sure suggest that we have a good backstop when we are shooting just like with a gun know were the end result will be...

I have taken shots at home yet it was very controlled and only done 2 times just before a trip. One time I shot from my portch to a target below me at 10 yards and 2nd shot was into a concreat garage at 20 yards field tips only. I did not like doing it as many kids live in my area. That was many years ago, since then I have joined an archery club and have never shot at home since... Just not worth the risk even when controled...

At Suffolk Archers IF you can not draw back your bow while pointed at your target you are not allowed to shoot. EX: No drawing up into the sky... We have houses all around our range and have been shooting thier for years... If they had proper form and aimed at the target while drawing this would never happen. And pre-release would still go towards the target and a safe back stop...

Edited by NFA-ADK

When i lived in the city of Rochester i had 2 bales on a mechanics creeper that I rolled into my garage. I shot from my driveway,my backyard was fenced as well as the neighbors. I shot during the day to avoid kids as much as possible,. sometimes my cop buddys would stop by to talk,but no issues.

I felt it was safe, but can understand if folks feel otherwise. The only folks shot on my street were victims of drive bys and the one kid who got kicked out of a house party who fired his sawed off in my front yard,but he missed,ah the good times...

Sometimes I have to wonder if people have a realistic idea of the destructive power of bows and arrows. I think they equate the modern archery equipment with the little toy bows with suction cup tipped arrows. Really ... just because it doesn't go boom or kill by massive shock does not make it a toy. When I see some of these target set-up in the suburbs (dead flat yards with no backstops at all), I can only think these people have absolutely no respect for the killing power of these weapons.

i seen this on the t.v. news they showed the x ray it appeared to be a pot shot very high angle 45deg. from back to front w/ a field point i hope that the knuckle head that did it gets caught , the media noted it was a hunting arrow and bow hunting is popular in the area so sad to blame bow hunters without proof but they had their sound bite and added their spin to the sad story one bright spot the girl will be ok

g-man you might be suprised but unless a towns discharging firearms laws states bows as well it would not be considered a firearm while target shooting.air rifles as well. went through this last year when a lady was shooting random cats in the nieghborhood with her air rifle while my kids were playing. was told by both sherifs and the state troopers that due to the wording of the law in my area they could not do much as bows and air rifles are not firearms unless being used to hunt. penal laws and game laws do not coincide. same goes for domestic violence situations in the state, they can and will take all firearms but are not able to take bows or air rifles eventhough just as deadly.

Edited by 16. ga hunter

i seen this on the t.v. news they showed the x ray it appeared to be a pot shot very high angle 45deg. from back to front w/ a field point i hope that the knuckle head that did it gets caught , the media noted it was a hunting arrow and bow hunting is popular in the area so sad to blame bow hunters without proof but they had their sound bite and added their spin to the sad story one bright spot the girl will be ok

When they say it was a hunting arrow, do they mean it was tipped with a broadhead? As far as I know a broadhead is the only thing that differentiates a hunting arrow from any other arrow. If she was shot in the back with a broadhead tipped arrow, it is a miracle that she is still alive.

Damn! that's disgusting. Good grief .... and apparently the media reporter was all too happy to link hunting with the incident. Judging from the x-ray and the description of the organs that it hit, that pretty much would have been a fatality if there had been a broadhead attached. What the heck is wrong with people?