Road Kill Question

Curmudgeon

I really liked Doc's quiz. Here's a question to satisfy my curiosity. Who has eaten road kill, and what species?

This was prompted by DOT yesterday. They deliver road killed deer here for research bait. They dropped off the remains of one that had been butchered. Sometimes they bring them sans back straps but this is the first that someone has completely butchered. The ravens and eagles can will clean up the bones.

Personally, I have only consumed road-killed venison. I do have a brother who was well known for stopping at every dead grouse to see how fresh it was. He seems to have stopped doing this. He also once made a great meal from a snowshoe hare he found dead while X-C skiing on a snowmobile trail in the Dacks.

Whacked a pheasant a few years ago on my way to deer hunt with a friend. When I got to the hunting spot, the pheasant was stuffed in front grille of my Honda. We had a laugh and then I pulled it out, took the breasts out and ate them for dinner after an unsuccessful deer hunt.

• Like 1

I grabbed a RK pheasant once or twice but pass on the deer, I usually have plenty of LK (Larry Killed) venison.

A friend grabbed a buck the was hit by a car a few years ago. He called me for help.....when we pulled it from his truck I noted that all four legs were broken and the body look odd. I can't believe any of the meat on that deer wasn't horribly blood shot.

We took it out to Clarence and dumped it.

I really liked Doc's quiz. Here's a question to satisfy my curiosity. Who has eaten road kill, and what species?

This was prompted by DOT yesterday. They deliver road killed deer here for research bait. They dropped off the remains of one that had been butchered. Sometimes they bring them sans back straps but this is the first that someone has completely butchered. The ravens and eagles can will clean up the bones.

Personally, I have only consumed road-killed venison. I do have a brother who was well known for stopping at every dead grouse to see how fresh it was. He seems to have stopped doing this. He also once made a great meal from a snowshoe hare he found dead while X-C skiing on a snowmobile trail in the Dacks.

Are any of these deer tested for anything before the birds eat them and then pass any disease forwards?

If they are road kills they'd be eating them anyways. That is just a nature thing.... put in a safer enviroment..as not by a road

Yeah like the compost pile in Cortland?  If man has a hand on them then they should be tested. Of course all cant be done but many could before dumped on the pile. Cant be to safe in Ny ya know!

I was watching a flock of turkeys cross the road a few years ago. I see a van coming in the opposite direction and as it gets closer I notice it isn't slowing down. I'm not sure if it was a clueless driver or just an a**hole who thought it was funny but he plowed right into one of the hens as she crossed. Sent the bird a good ways through the air. He never tapped the breaks and kept going.

Anyhow, I called my local ECO and told him what happened and if I could have the bird and he said go for. Most tender turkey tits I've ever had :dancer:

• Like 1

I got one early January my brother hit, yearling doe he hit at night, came back the next morning and she was laying 10 yards in the woods. Called the local sheriff office and they came up and finished her for me. Dislocated back hip with no meat loss. She would of been eaten alive if I didn't go look if I could locate her.

Ate  one rabbit & one pheasant that I hit.   I have a cop friend that gets all his deer meat as road kill.  He has a kit in the cop car & when he gets a deer hit call if the driver doesn't want it he splits it down the back & cuts out the back straps. Always said he can get more than he could ever use.

I had my first road kill rabbit a couple weeks ago, and it was the best tasting one I ever had.  It came hopping over the snow bank just after I turned out of my driveway.  I took evasive action but still felt that distinctive thump as a tire rolled over it.   I threw it in the trunk and gutted it when I got to work with the little knife on my keychain.   I skinned it when I got home, let it soak in saltwater for a couple hours, and it went into the crock-pot the next morning, with a few potatoes and some cream-of-mushroom soup.  That made two good meals for myself, supper that evening and lunch the next day.  The snow has been to deep for me to chase any rabbits off the road this winter so it was a real treat, and a welcome diversion from an almost straight venison diet, with a little smallmouth bass mixed in from time to time.

Over the years, we have eaten close to a dozen deer that were struck by cars, including several that I had to dispatch myself with my pocketknife.   One time a big doe must have just knocked herself out cold when she ran into the side of a car.   Her rump was cold when I felt it, so I was going to just cut off her tail and use it for bass jig-tying.  With my knife in my right hand, I grabbed her tail with my left and it was like turning the crank handle on my old Allis Chalmers tractor.  She leapt to her feet, I jumped on her back, getting her in a half-nelson with my left hand, and knifed for her jugular with my right.  She bucked me off just as I got that warm stream of blood across my arm, kicking me hard in the leg as I fell.  When she bled out, and we butchered her there was not a mark on the carcass, and it was the cleanest butcher job I ever had.   It did look like a bloody massacre had occurred on that snowy front yard however, and my leg swelled up so much from that kick that it was tough getting my jeans off later.  

Deer are regularly struck near our house, but fortunately we never hit any of them ourselves.  They taste just like the ones I kill with my gun or bow, are easy to get, and save me some ammo and arrows. Only one time was there a lot of bloodied up meat, with the vast majority requiring less trimming than most shotgun or rifle kills.  Many times I have been able to be a little more selective about what buck I took with the bow or gun, thanks to an unfortunate motorist or two.   I would estimate that about 15% of our venison has come from road-kills.                

One day I came home from the store to find someone had turned 3 of my chickens into pancakes in front of my house.

A 4'th chicken must have bounced off the grill and landed partially plucked in my driveway..... then he bounced back on the grill with some BB-Q sauce,lol :nyam:

• Like 2