What are you doing to prep for the 2012 Hunting Season?

burmjohn

What are you doing to prep for the 2012 Hunting Season  

56 members have voted

1. 1. Prep

• Scouting
    • TrailCamera's
    • New Tree Stands / Binds
    • Food Plots
    • Bow / Gun Setup

Nothing really yet. I have been doing a lot of fishing. I will begin dull scale Archery practice quite soon. I will walk some old areas and some new areas. I intend to be much more mobile this year and not have nearly as many pre hung stands for the archery season.

In quite a bit of my area I feel more harm then good has come from preseason scouting and the hanging of stands. We will see.

Waterskiing, swimming, cigar smoking, bike riding.

Manyt of my stands stay up, one new one has been up and lanes cut couple months back.

Sometime in August I'll shoot few arrows, but I know my first 3 will be shot at 40 yards and 3-4 inch group like every past year.

Working out is a plus, I do a lot of deadlifts, cleans and 100's of chin ups per week, drawing and holding is a snap I never get sore or have to "work out" my bow muscles by shooting.

Edited by Larry302
  • Like 1

I'm near the end of my softball season. Being that we stink this year, I doubt we're making it into the playoffs. Once season ends, I'll get my Sundays back. I'll check my zero's and shoot the bow a few times and do some hiking/scouting as many weekends as possible during August and September. I usually mix scouting in with squirrel hunting in Sept/Oct.

I get up on the hill quite a bit, snooping around for sign. Also got a fairly regular regimen of bow practice just to keep in the game. Rebuilt another 1/2 dozen arrows. Other than that, I am just enjoying the summer while it is still here.

Been spending the summer evenings at the green fields taking long range photo inventory of bucks coming and going.

Still gettting off the beaten path every now and then to find any leftover sheds that are laying around.

Trail cams have been deployed for a good while.

Just hanging out with the critters, conditioning the deer to my non threatening behavior in their enviroment.

Getting back to shooting a few arrows with the recurve after 8 months - been fighting golfer's elbow.

Actually not doing bad out to 20 yds or so. If I can't shoot enough to get back to my older limits, will just restrict the shot attempts to closer.

Going to put up a new treestand if it ever cools down some, and I'm trying to get to the gun range at least every other week to either shoot trap or my rifles. That's about it, I don't believe in trail cams, can't bait, and the deer and geese are in the same place every year when hunting season starts.

SteveB I had the same golfers Elbow,it was so bad during the hunting season I thought I needed surgery.After a cortazone shot and alot of PT its finally starting to feel better but still gets stiff from time to time.

Don't forget to add get in shape,I usually start walking with the wife and my daughter now during the summer.You would be suprised how much walking/ hiking the body will do during hunting season.We all feel out of shape when dragging our deer out don't we !!!

Been shooting the bow . Going to cut and fletch some new arrows and use the arrows I hunted with for practice .

My oldest son injured his bicep muscle so tomorrow afternoon , I will help him move some atands from a property and put them up elsewhere .

Had knee surgery back in May but I should be walking, without a crutch, by late August. I plan on doing a ton of scouting, clearing stands, setting new ones and walking around in the woods (good therapy). Hope to be able to get on the treadmill to build the legs and wind back up. I should be able to.

Still beats the hell out of work.

prep for the 2012 season???? what the eff....we are better than HALF WAY THROUGH IT. If you aint ready yet, forget it shoot for 2013.

I don't even know what the "eff" this means?? Because most of us have lives outside of deer season, things get done when the priorities are done. i've been doing some things lately in prep for 2012. Food plots are in but on hold until we get some rain. With 70 more acres added to the Tosch properties, we've got the trail cams and scouting efforts devoted to the new piece. Stands have been going up but need to purchase a couple new ones for the new set-ups. Bow and gun are locked in so at this point i'm working on blind bail work and target at longer ranges to keep the form up. 50 yrd groups are good for the confidence factor.

post-1355-0-13190000-1342310656_thumb.jp

Just cut my fields, they are starting to look good. Can't wait to long from spring turkey to fall hunting. Seems like it gets harder as we get older! Now my kids are involved and there is a lot of talk at the dinner table. Feels reel good and my twin girls love the thrill of it also with my two boys! I think this is more then I could have ever expected out of this sport

Just cut my fields, they are starting to look good. Can't wait to long from spring turkey to fall hunting. Seems like it gets harder as we get older! Now my kids are involved and there is a lot of talk at the dinner table. Feels reel good and my twin girls love the thrill of it also with my two boys! I think this is more then I could have ever expected out of this sport

Great stuff Carl. Sounds like you've been prep-ing for most of your adult life. Nice work..