Shooting does with fawns

WhitetailAddict11

I will say that you guys do appear to be encountering more wussy fawns than we've got. Around here, whenever I have spooked a "family" group, the fawns have no problem leaving the doe in the dust. I never see them stumbling around whining and looking for where ma went. They already know exactly what to do and it's up to ma to keep up.

• Like 1

I have and will take a doe with fawns. They should be past the point of needing mom but with the earlier start I might wait a few weeks now that the season is earlier. I did have a doe with triplets a couple years ago that I had orders on not to shoot. She needs to keep having trips!!

Shooting a doe with fawns is high unlikely to affect the fawns ability to survive... possibly a late born fun might have some trouble, but they might have trouble anyway... it is usually more about whether it bothers you or doesn't bother you... kind of a personal thing for each individual.. I don't have any problem killing a doe with fawns, but can understand how some hunters might.

We had a guy hunt with us a few years ago. It was early ml season in the north. He shot a small doe with a fawn. The fawn would not leave, so he reloaded and shot it too. Not so much of a bad thing I guess, but having to listen to him brag about a double kill like it was a trophy was enough to not invite him back to camp. I personally let them walk, but that is just a choice. Nothing against anyone who does.

We had a guy hunt with us a few years ago. It was early ml season in the north. He shot a small doe with a fawn. The fawn would not leave, so he reloaded and shot it too. Not so much of a bad thing I guess, but having to listen to him brag about a double kill like it was a trophy was enough to not invite him back to camp. I personally let them walk, but that is just a choice. Nothing against anyone who does.

I would have a much harder time killing the fawn.

have and will plus they aren't always together so you never no..... almost dropped the fawn too last year when it kept coming back during field dressing but would not have bragged about a double kill. The way i look at it it is what the state asks me to do when they issue me doe permits take doe out of the population.

the seasons long enough let them walk . two years in a row we had a bro and sis yearlings [ after 6mos their concidered yearling imho from what ive heard] around until dec. it was nice to see them . normally does w/out fawns travel in groups and does w/ fawns travel solo[ i feel like clift the mailman from cheers know everything about nothing but damn i sound good doing it]

Two years ago I shot a mother with two fawns that were bigger and must have been born in early in the spring. The next day I saw both of them in the same spot unphased by the recent events. Last year I saw a doe with a fawn that looked like it was born late and was very small so I passed. A few days later a guy who hunts futher down told me he saw a doe with a tiny fawn and after he shot the mother the fawn just hungout like it was lost. I guess some fawns are bigger depending on how early they were born.

This is my first season bow hunting and at 7:00am on opening day, I had this exact dilema. Doe with 2 fawns in an opening 15 yards from my stand. As I sat there thinking about whether to take the doe, a fox ran by and spooked them a bit. They ran off and then returned for a bit. I decided to give the mother a pass and got a kick out of watching them run from the fox. Of course, I sat for 13 hours and never saw another deer in range. I also returned this morning and saw nothing for 2 hours, except that same fox. Now I kinda wish I had that doe in my freezer. That article was interesting and if I read it before hand, I probably would have drawn on the doe.

I also love does because I really love deer meat..I also observe that young and bigger mature does always taste best, but fawns around here are a nice size and will fill a good portion of the freezer with meat that has near zero marbling.

Shooting fawns is also part of herd management, but like others have said I can understand why someone may pass. Personally I don't discriminate until the freezer is full, hopefully before gun season, then I will wait on a nice buck.

Until then the one in the best lane is the one for me.

Edited by 7J Everyday