Sick to my stomach!!

dwallace

You did all you could,it sucks but get back out there when you feel ready.

I don't know much about deer shearch and training dogs to find deer, but my untrained beagle has found more then one.

post-253-0-88344800-1350004958_thumb.jpg

Edited by Larry302

You did all you could,it sucks but get back out there when you feel ready.

I don't know much about deer shearch and training dogs to find deer, but my untrained beagle has found more then one.

I am under the impression that its illegal to us ANY DOG to recover wounded game because the dogs could then be used to Hunt the game. I always thought deer search dogs were "licensed" in some way???

go out tomorrow and listen for the crows and and look for buzzards im sure he is around and they will find him. At least u can get the rack...keep ur head up...Iv had that happen and all i did was shoot from a stand in my yard untill i felt that i was comfortable again sounds foolish but build the confidence back up and get get one!

Deer search are and they have to call DEC before going on the search with all specifics and you have to fill out paper work...I can't remember, but I think they also needed my name and tag info....I remember the call he made while sitting at the kitchen table

Sorry you didn't find him...perhaps someone else did...seen that happen a few times in our neck of the woods

Yeah Deer search does have to call the Dec and inform them they are tracking a deer with the dogs. That way if someone calls the Dec stating dogs are chasing deer, the incident is recorded beforehand. They will need your back tag # and a bunch of info. The guy was cool and wished he could help but just didn't think his dog was ready. I did learn one thing though. I should have never pushed this deer the night I shot him. I should've backed out and waited till the next morning. I gave him 5 hrs and thought that would be good but it wasn't. Especially with gut shot. You wait 8-12 hrs. Now I know. I was worried about the coyotes finding him. One thing, I did find yesterday was 2 button buck carcasses in 2 different spots. Cleaned right down to the bone. Damn coyotes! I am going to go to town on those coyotes during and after deer season. There are way too many in my area. Thx again guys! Send pics and stories! Good luck!

Better luck next time. You gave it a good shot. Deerthug and Carbon said to look and listen to the crows. I found a buck I liver shot years ago by doing this. It didn't take more than 6 hours for those birds to start feasting on my deer. Its tough, that liver shot deer left blood for 40 yards and bedded twice. Found him 300 yards from the last blood sign. For once those damn birds were useful.

Head back out and look again, try going in opposite direction with your circles, i've walked by dead deer several times that were only visible when i looked behind me. Birds coyotes should be on the carcass by now, they should be squawking and making a pretty good fuss. By now. Tracked a doe a buddy shot on a tuesday in a snowstorm (dumped 3 ft of snow on it)and found it on sat am. Was frozen and we were able to use the meat from it . Temps against you in this case but finding the carcass even if unusable can point you in a direction if you ever have the bad luck of hitting another poorly again. Its amazing how deer seem to die in the same area when wounded year after year...if you hunt the same area it will give you an idea of where they seem to go when u lose them. Tracking and woodsman ship skills are acquired this way! Let alone it might reveal bedding areas, mature buck bedding areas and trail you can put to use in future years! I use to track ever unpressured deer i got in snow backwards from where i shot it for hundred of yards... you learn a lot that way about your hunting area and the way its used by game!

Hum did not know my dog had to be Gov.approved,guess we'll have to stop. Only got started because friends called after never hearing back or being turned down by deer search.Pitty I thought about offering to help any of you fellas that lived near me .

At least he goes out undefeated and there's a few really happy hunters.

Hum did not know my dog had to be Gov.approved,guess we'll have to stop. Only got started because friends called after never hearing back or being turned down by deer search.Pitty I thought about offering to help any of you fellas that lived near me .

At least he goes out undefeated and there's a few really happy hunters.

No laws against taking your dog for a walk in regular clothes.

• Like 2

Damn man sorry to hear. I know the feeling all too well unfortunately. I had a similar experience on a deer my bro in law shot. He shot it in the guts and we lost the blood trail after about 50 yards. We did giant circles and found the deer only another 50 yards away but we lost blood because the exit hole was clogged with his intestines. Sounds like it could be a similar situation if your finding peices of intestines on the ground. Good Luck!

Thats just what my brother in law did last year. He hit a big eight, but lost blood. After looking for hours he went back to the house and put on his jeans and ski jacket. Took his untrained yellow lab out and the dog found the buck in about an hour. That deer is hanging on his wall now.

Yeah Deer search does have to call the Dec and inform them they are tracking a deer with the dogs. That way if someone calls the Dec stating dogs are chasing deer, the incident is recorded beforehand. They will need your back tag # and a bunch of info. The guy was cool and wished he could help but just didn't think his dog was ready. I did learn one thing though. I should have never pushed this deer the night I shot him. I should've backed out and waited till the next morning. I gave him 5 hrs and thought that would be good but it wasn't. Especially with gut shot. You wait 8-12 hrs. Now I know. I was worried about the coyotes finding him. One thing, I did find yesterday was 2 button buck carcasses in 2 different spots. Cleaned right down to the bone. Damn coyotes! I am going to go to town on those coyotes during and after deer season. There are way too many in my area. Thx again guys! Send pics and stories! Good luck!

Dwallace, which parts are you in? I'd love to join you on that yote hunt.

Thats is a pretty good point I think. Heck I have bird hunted with my GSP and she found a dead deer once in the woods. Why the heck would it be illegal to take your dog for a walk in the same woods you hunt in. Not out of the norm. I do it all the time. If the dog finds the deer while going for a walk BONUS.

I guess if you are looking a full 12-24 hours later the deer is definitely dead so no need to carry a weapon to dispatch if still wounded game. I would expect that deer search dogs would be called in sooner than later and may still find a deer that needs to be finished off and you would want a weapon with you to do th job which would throw a monkey wrench in the "just walkin my dog" strategy.

Yeah according to the guy who called me from deer search, he had to license his dog for tracking. Probably just another money maker for the state! Went back out and looked last night with a buddy. Did complete opposite direction with my circles, nothing. No crows, nasty smells or nothing! I am wondering if somehow this deer is still alive. It would be hard to imagine that, especially after finding pieces of his intestine.What sucks is I lost a nice buck and that bothers the heck out of me and also probably ruined my hunting land for at least a week or so. All our scent marching thru the woods like soldiers. Shoot, I'd be lucky to see a deer in a week. Going to go hunt with my bro on his land Saturday morning. Later guys!

Dave

Good luck to you. The woods might be better faster then you think.

As for my dog its always been the next AM in jeans and Carhartt.No weapons .Get the call late night after friends gave up,once on Thanksgiving at my sisters,half in the bag.... OK I'll be there at 7:00 damn.

He just loves deer.I think its because I always cut a leg off at the knee and give it to him. He'll carry it on walks around the neighbor all proud .

Well Dave not sure what I can say that everyone hasn't already. But I hope you don't hang the bow up for the rest of the season. Get back out there and who knows you still might come across that deer while hunting. At least you'll have the rack and closure. Not sure if anyone suggested this yet but from my experience with losing a deer they quite often will double back to almost where you shot them. I've found a couple a few weeks later that way. Again sorry and good luck !