Fatal Tree Stand Accident in Warren County

Salmon_Run

Very sad and God bless his family and friends

i also would like a few more details for safety sake alone....it actually sounds like he had an older half harness...had it been full..I can't imagine how it got up around his head and neck area

Edited by growalot

Very sad. Heres what I do. Each year I hang my hang ons 4 foot or so off the ground at home,i get in them stand at the edge kinda bounce a little. Check the straps and cables.

Then I tie off and test my harness. You might be surprised how far it rides up,how much the strap around the tree sags downs. you end up farther down then you might think.Some harness have folds that are sewn togather, when you drop they break in a controlled descent to lessen the shock,this puts you even further down.

As i've said before someone should know where you are and what time you'll call when you get down .

I have my cell, a Spyderco knife clipped to harness and light in my pocket that has a S.O.S feature if nothing else i can drop that and it'll flash sos for hours.

Might not have helped this guy,just what i do.

Yup.........that's just what NYS needs to do, write one more law to protect us all. Even though my heart goes out for that man and his family where do you draw the line? My guess is that even if something like that were to happen (create a law) the consequences would be even more accidents and injuries.

People would continue to hunt from trees but go back to dragging wood, nails, rope and whatever else they can find laying around the yard and garage, up into tree tops to build their own stand. In other words, they would likely just go back to doing what I (unsafely) used to do when I was a kid.

Hey..come to think of it while were on the topic.......lets hope NYS goes a step further and out laws kids tree houses, swing sets, tire swings, trampolines, swimming holes, BB guns (remember...you'll shoot your eye out kid).......LOL! Yup....more laws to save us from ourselves. That's just what we need!

Edited by New York Hillbilly
  • Like 1

A lot of people are killed by cars each year so lets also outlaw cars. Knives are dangerous so lets outlaw them as well! I'm sure Chuckie Shumer and Bloomberg will be all over this one. YOU CANNOT OUTLAW stupid, and the rights of the majority should not be taken away because a few are irresponsible. This was a terrible tradgedy and I feel terrible for this guy's family.

When New York state outlaws treestand hunting, it will be a much safer for everyone. More people are hurt or die from treestands than by guns while hunting.

Seriously?? Where do you get your statistics?

If used properly, a harness can and will save your life.

When New York state outlaws treestand hunting, it will be a much safer for everyone. More people are hurt or die from treestands than by guns while hunting.

I think New York State should outlaw fishermen being able to wade into streams and rivers. Every year you hear about fishermen drowning after being swept away in swift currents or after losing their footing. It would be a lot safer.

I think New York State should outlaw fishermen being able to wade into streams and rivers. Every year you hear about fishermen drowning after being swept away in swift currents or after losing their footing. It would be a lot safer.

We should outlaw rip currents instead.

• Like 1

It sounds like it was a freak accident. Some how he got the harness tangled around his upper body. That is a deadly situation because of the pressure on the lungs. I hope they do a bit of a study on that and publish some recommendations. It may turn out that such a thing could happen with any make and model of harness. It sure would be good to know. It seems like there may be some important things to be learned from that accident.