I never thought this day would come

noodle one

With age, comes changes in life that we thought would never come about. When we were young and would hear others talk of this we would say to our selfs that will never happen to me. That day is here. When I was younger I lived to hunt and hunted to live. I loved every thing about it, and I couldn't get enough of it. When The last day of seasons came around, I would start thinking about next years and planning for it. I have decided to give up hunting as I now know it and start another way of hunting with a camera. I love the woods and seeing wildlife to much to give it up all together. I have been very lucky to have had the experience that I have had hunting. I have been able to take more game than anyone could ask for and I thank God for that. I have been thinking about doing this for a few years now. I can not remember the last time I took a doe, for the last fifteen or so years I have been saying that I was saving my doe tags for late ML season and then I would go out. and have then 15 or 20 yards and would let then walk because I enjoyed seeing then more than wanting to take one. Don't take me wrong, I have nothing against anyone that wants to hunt with gun or bow and enjoy the experience that comes with hunting and I wish all of then the best of luck. If anyone is interested I am going to make up a list of my guns and other hunting eguipment for sale and If anyone is looking for something, just ask and I will let you know if I have it.

• Like 3

You don't happen to have a lone Wolf climber.

I knows guys in the same boat. When I was younger I would shoot everything fill the tags because I thought it made me a good hunter. Now I get some in the freezer and then go out for the enjoyment of hunting. I let a 3 pointer walk opening day just videoed it at 7 yards. I think that is just as much fun.

Good luck to ya.

• Like 1

Noodle one,

I wish you luck. I think what your talking about hits some harder than others. I have had those feelings for the last few years. I made up my mind to get more youth involved at my camp. I would rather see a guest

get one for the first time rather than myself. I let two walk Monday morning after doing 2 all day sits and only seeing a small button buck. Good luck my friend and continue enjoying the outdoors in your own special way!

• Like 2

noodle one,

Funny you should bring this up at this time. I have been wrestling with this for the past couple of years and this season seems to be the worse for me. Anyone who knows me in this area can tell you I have had a reputation of being one of the more successful deer hunters in my area. I literally quit jobs that posed a threat to my hunting time, and for me the passion has at times bordered on obsession. I have NEVER missed an opening day of any deer season since age 16, bow, muzzle loader or gun season. I have never held myself out as a marksman by any means but I have been extremely proficient at killing deer to fill the freezer. Any tags I did not fill were almost always not for lack of opportunity.

This year was no exception as far as working all year covering everyone's vacations, etc., so I could have 26 straight days off to hunt. However, this year I have passed every single shot opportunity I have had at a deer. I could have easily killed at least 8 bucks since opening day, all four pointers and spikes, and I can't even count the number of does I have let pass. Many of these deer have been under twenty yards and a few just a matter of feet away.

At 7:30 this morning I just sat watching a big fat spike buck as he wandered past me. I even pulled up on him, put the bead behind his shoulder, and in my head said to myself "bang", as I watched him go about his business totally unaware of his good fortune in my letting him pass. I don't get it. I think the unimaginable has happened, I've lost my edge.

You don't happen to have a lone Wolf climber.

I knows guys in the same boat. When I was younger I would shoot everything fill the tags because I thought it made me a good hunter. Now I get some in the freezer and then go out for the enjoyment of hunting. I let a 3 pointer walk opening day just videoed it at 7 yards. I think that is just as much fun.

Good luck to ya.

Sorry I don't have any treestands.

Welcome to the other brotherhood Noodle! :friends:

Ever since I picked up my camera a few years ago, I've found myself pondering this same dillema! I really think this season I've turned a corner and finally made up my mind to at least take a break from hunting for a few seasons, and pursue the outdoors experience I truely enjoy most in nature photography.

I take more away from my experiences this way than I do solely from a hunt alone. Great thing about chasing critters with a camera is there is no "closed season". You'll learn and experience so much more about the other wildlife and creatures in your area you never payed much attention to. It's a whole different world once you take the time to slow down and take it all in.

Wishing you the best in your new outdoors adventure!

sure to post plenty of pics when you get started!

I too am fast approaching the age where I can see the eventual end. Just physically going through the rigors of scouting, climbing around the hills, dragging deer, and yet another thing that concerns me at my age is the idea of doing all this physical activity by myself with a history of a stroke a few years back and a few other medical problems.

On the other hand, it is the hunting and scouting and just general hiking around the hills that keeps the joints oiled up and functioning. My slightly damaged health requires activity in order for me to exist. It is heavy exercise that keeps my blood pressure in check. It is exercise that keeps my blood sugar regulated. I need that activity to continue to exist. Hunting gives me a logical reason to be out wandering through the woods. Scouting automatically gives me a reason for year around outdoor activity. I'm certain that when I have to give up hunting and hiking and such that I will lose the motivation for an active life, and the results may be swift and sure. I don't think I would survive a sedentary lifestyle for very long.

Not only all that, hunting is so engrained in my life that I would always miss the activity. I can't picture the thought of sitting in the house and hearing the shots outdoors without the ability to participate. I doubt that I could look at my wall of bows and other archery equipment and content myself with mere memories of what hunting used to be like. Of course it will happen one day if I should happen to live long enough, but I guess I will fight that ending as long as I am able to.

So, I guess my time hasn't arrived ..... yet. But we all know that eventually it will, don't we?

• Like 1

Noodle, I can certainly understand what you are saying. I am finding myself passing up more and more game as it passes by. I am to at the stage I enjoy opening my camp up to youth and a family member for a hunt. I try to pick one from every class I have. It is usually a child who does not have a lot of hunting support at home, or a mom trying to fill both parent roles (no offense meant to our lady hunters here). I am more talking about a mother who takes a hunter ed class with her son, so he will at least have someone to hunt with, even though she has no real passion for hunting. I truly enjoy watching them light up when they see a deer, or even more when they get one. I have taken enough game over the years that any more might make me feel greedy. I hope you stick around and share some of those pics. Just remember that the first time you see a racker with the camera, the fire will start burning again.

• Like 1

Well I'll guess I'll be the first to ask, What are you selling? I don't plan on quiting anytime soon. I'm just on a count down until my son is old enough to get involved. I'm also coaching my wife even though she's not quite ready yet. Also I have a lot of friends that are taking an interest in it now they are getting older.

• Like 1

I'm 43 and only in my 3rd season hunting, so I won't stop anytime soon. I love your choice of camera hunting, Noodle. I've often thought while hunting that wildlife photography could be much more challenging. Hunters need only a few seconds to pull the trigger, while a photo or video guy could need minutes. I especially like to compare the stealth and patience needed for photography to the stealth and patience needed for 'drive' style hunting or using dogs for deer down south. You are the man !!

I will be there one day.I am sure of it.It is much respect just for the great wide world that we are given.I am sure i will be there one day my self.

Can't wait to see the giants you are going to meet now with only a camera.The big ones for real.And you know what.It will be the same rush to let them walk after shooting with with the camera.

I also have been having these thoughts about hunting and I also past up a nice 8-point the 1st day, I am sure that I will be giving up hunting soon, thankfully I really enjoy fishing, and have a son in law that is always wanting me to go fishing with him. When I catch a fish I can take a picture and release him to be caught another day.

I also have been having these thoughts about hunting and I also past up a nice 8-point the 1st day, I am sure that I will be giving up hunting soon, thankfully I really enjoy fishing, and have a son in law that is always wanting me to go fishing with him. When I catch a fish I can take a picture and release him to be caught another day.

I do enjoy fishing for steelhead and I am going to do more of it. The first part of Dec. the wife and I are heading west to Cal. to visit our son and him and I will be doing alot of steelhead fishing out there. We will be gone for three weeks. My son was my hunting partner before he moved west and that is one of the reasons for giving up hunting.. I do enjoy bow hunting very much and may still hunt with a bow,I have to wait and see what next year brings.

DONT sell out yet, you might get the itch after missing a season or two and it will cost you more money to get back into it than you can make selling what you already have. I have these feeling all through gun season past few years. I love bow hunting but the gun season just not the same for me anymore, too frustrating listening to all the anitcs that go on around here. I find myself gun hunting less and less every season. About at the point I find it more enjoyable putting in food plots, working the trail cams, bow hunting in peace an quiet.