New Deer Hunting Show on History Channel

nyantler

I think I'll watch a see how the show is rather than jump to conclusions. It is soooo not my style of hunting, but might still be entertaining.. from what I remember that's all television shows are suppose to be.. entertainment.

• Like 1

My prediction:

Pretty much all scripted with a lot of re enactments to provide the entertainment they feel will draw ratings.

Lot's of set up's to a confrontation before cutting to a commercial.

Come back and repeat the whole setup again just to have it not happen.

Basic reality show template with different plugins.

Still wondering what the right to recover laws are there.

Is it like NY where the landowner has the final say whole comes on their property?

From what I understand they have permission from all the neighborhood so retrieval shouldn't be a problem... the conflict in the show I think deals more with the difficulty hunting in a suburban area with all that goes on there during the day.

I hope it turns out better than the show "Diggers" that sounded like it was going to be a good metal detecting show... turned out to be two guys acting like complete goofballs and finding a bunch of crap... then making up there own pet words for the type of stuff they found that sounded stupid to those of us who are serious diggers.

I agree. I watched both episodes this morning, and it wasnt bad. Being someone that has and still does hunt in suburban type areas from time to time, I can relate to alot of the issues they run into on the show. The ball busting at their camp reminds me of how things are with my hunting buddies as well. I dont think this show will be damaging to deer hunting at all, I would venture to say that it puts a better light on it to non hunters than some of the shows on the Outdoor channel does.

I don't see any harm in the show. In fact I thought a lot of it was funny. Of course any relationship between this style of hunting, and anything that I am associated with is purely coincidental .... lol. It's really more about hunters than hunting. The guy hunting off the deck was hilarious. I really don't understand why he bothered to wear camo though.

I guess I was ready to watch this show and scream bloody murder as they proceeded to cast the worst possible light on hunting possible. But the two episodes that I saw were kind of entertaining and throughout they slid in a lot of pro-hunting facts and displayed a pretty heavily deer-damaged area. Also, I suspect that non-hunters probably won't spend a lot of time watching this show, so any impact on the general public (good or bad) will be minimal. I do think it will get real old and boring in a short period of time, but I will watch a few more.

I liked it more than watching those overly obnoxious "pro-hunter's" on a lot of the big production show's, and I would think a non-hunter would find it less offensive and maybe get a better understanding of hunting by watching this type of show compared to the others. As far as the guys being idiots, I think many of us would cringe if a camera crew filmed us for a weekend at deer camp and then we had to sit and watch it replay on tv.

some entertaining banter between the guys who survive on ingesting cigarettes.. haa and a guy who flies from CA 6-8 times a season (yah right) . And how the guy supposedly shows up and has plenty of daylight at 5:30 am to hunt from the deck, well at no time during our hunting season is the sun up before 6:45 . I guess the producers have to fake production a bit. like most shows, not enough reality and overly staged but i will probably tune in just to see what i agree or disagree with.  I did like the poker competition for toilet patrol ! and emphasis on getting permission from landowners.

some entertaining banter between the guys who survive on ingesting cigarettes.. haa and a guy who flies from CA 6-8 times a season (yah right) . And how the guy supposedly shows up and has plenty of daylight at 5:30 am to hunt from the deck, well at no time during our hunting season is the sun up before 6:45 . I guess the producers have to fake production a bit. like most shows, not enough reality and overly staged but i will probably tune in just to see what i agree or disagree with.  I did like the poker competition for toilet patrol ! and emphasis on getting permission from landowners.

In CT I think bow season opens around mid September and they can hunt 1/2 hour before sunrise. So if Sunrise were 5:30 they could hunt at 5 am.

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club

They had a harness on when in the tree stands and stressed that it isn't safe to shoot when someone is in the area .

The smoking bit was something else . The one guy who smoked a lot was sucking wind when he was pulling that deer on a cart .

It was better that the pros / celebrities doing one of the canned hunts !

true but no way is he raking up those 30 leaves or having a conversation in the yard first thing before an a.m. sit .. oh i forgot its t.v...too funny

You obviously dont hunt the burbs. The situation they conveyed is 100% completely plausible. Remember, the deer there are very used to people being in their yards, on the decks, talking, etc. They will go on alert as soon as people step into what the deer dont consider a normal place for them to be. Its kind of like deer in farm country. They will stand right there and watch a farmer on their tractor, alot of times very close by, without batting an eye, but as soon as you step off of the tractor, etc, boom, they are out of there.

I haven't seen the show yet, but here's some insight to the area, as I live very closeby. 

-CT Archery Season opens around 9/15 each year.

Hunting on that show is probably similar to how people hunt in Westchester and Putnam Counties. I hunt 8 acres with a shotgun in Putnam County. My back to the houses, sometimes the deer run between me and the houses, but I don't shoot for safety reason.  Some guy shot a spike with the bow behind my parents house. My parents have 1.8 acres and all their neighbors have under 1 acre. This guy found a spot on his property that was just over 500ft away from the other dwellings. He worries about permission to track a deer when the time comes. The deer was like 6 houses down the road on somebody's front lawn.  When I was a kid I would play wiffle ball in my backyard and deer would be less than 100 yards away bedded down watching us.

to WNYBuckhunter, i am 100% in the burbs not far from where the show is taped. Houses are close to each other with plenty of traffic around and we have good # of deer in and out of my small yard. trust me, i know the drill. I just dont know anyone raking leaves at sunrise in a yard they are going to hunt that morning. thats all i said. maybe you do, thats fine too

The owner of the property was raking the leaves, he just wanted her out of there faster, so he did it himself. Id probably do the same in that situation. It seemed that the homeowners just didnt understand that they couldnt be out and about in their yard and still expect the guy to bag any of the deer they wanted gone.