New Deer Hunting Show on History Channel

nyantler

I know hunters that don't eat venison either, they hunt for the sport and they give it to family members that do not hunt and enjoy venison. In fact the one guy that hunts with us gives his deer to a disabled vet that loves venison. 

donating is fine. As long as the animal doesn't just rot so someone can get their rocks off.

somehow that doesn't surprise me

What does it matter what I do? My personal tasting preference are the backstraps. I don't care for the hamburger meat, etc. Instead of paying $90 to get the deer butchered, now I pay nothing and get the backstraps. The rest of the meat goes to a food bank. It's a win-win for everyone.

• Like 1

i believe they have to kill 3 doe before they earn their buck tag. I think in some parts of this state that would be a great idea. I'd only be concerned that some people would just senselessly kill some doe to earn their "horns". I know hunters that don't even like venison.

Ha-ha, I can see hunters sneaking road-kill off the highway and putting their tag on it just to satisfy the Earn-a-buck requirements.

i believe they have to kill 3 doe before they earn their buck tag. I think in some parts of this state that would be a great idea. I'd only be concerned that some people would just senselessly kill some doe to earn their "horns". I know hunters that don't even like venison.

I thought the 3 doe rule was just that camps rule. My cousin will ask for the back straps only and i get rest of deer.

you get 2 doe tags and 2 either sex tags in zones 11 and 12 in CT.  They are hunting zone 11 i believe.  And you get replacement tags on all the doe and once you check 3 doe heads in you will get an "Earn a Buck" tag.  I understand that not all hunters eat the venison, and to each is own as long as its not rotting.  I know i keep the majority of what i take.  I obviously give the landowners whatever they want if they would like any, lets face it with them i would not be hunting.  I think there is plenty of food that could be donated and there is no need to kill animals just for fun and give them away.  I have hunted in CT where they hunt and believe me there is nowhere near the numbers they say.  I have had places where i could easily see 20 deer an afternoon in the past and now im lucky if i see 1 or 2.  People are silly they spend millions on a house hundreds of thousands on landscapes and say kill all the deer cuz they eat them flowers when all they would have to do is spray the plants with a deer repellant that cost fractions of what they have already spent and the deer would not eat them.

EDIT...i like that they want hunters to thin the deer out because i get a lot of permissions because of it, but i think it may be going too far and the numbers are nowhere near what they were.  

Edited by Carbonelement

Watching it now, one thing I am noticing is the bucks they draw back on and shoot at is never the buck they end up showing killed. They all look like smaller buck and the one they show they killed is a completely different deer. Anyone notice this?

They post different multiple choice questions on the show . One question was "what is the average speed of a compound bow" ? They gave the answer as 350 fps . I call BS on that . Most advertised bow speeds aren't even that high shooting light speed arrows with nothing on the string .

That one lady was a real peach . You want to slaughter those beautiful animals ?

I find the show entertaining and yes it is probably scripted . The lady who was so adamant about not letting anyone on her property to slaughter the deer must have been in on the whole bit . Since the show was to be televised one of her neighbors or a friend ( assuming she had any ) would be giving her a heads up about the guys doing their sneaky thing to get the dead deer off her property .

They post different multiple choice questions on the show . One question was "what is the average speed of a compound bow" ? They gave the answer as 350 fps . I call BS on that . Most advertised bow speeds aren't even that high shooting light speed arrows with nothing on the string .

That one lady was a real peach . You want to slaughter those beautiful animals ?

They also said you get about 50 pounds of meat off a 130 pound deer. I would say half that amount.

The PSE Omen Max is the fastest one out there that I have heard of. It IBOs at 366. I wouldnt say 350 is average though. Their facts are a little slopy, but so is any show that puts up facts like that. They are usually pretty close though.

To each his own I guess. I watched for the first and probably the last time yesterday, and I did chuckle a couple times. I just can't imagine "hunting" on lots so small you have to knock door to door to get permission  permission to recover it, or risk it dying under some kids swing set, on their pool cover, in their hedges, etc. I don't have any better suggestions on how to control their numbers, but it sure isn't for me. Like I said, to each his own.

To each his own I guess. I watched for the first and probably the last time yesterday, and I did chuckle a couple times. I just can't imagine "hunting" on lots so small you have to knock door to door to get permission  permission to recover it, or risk it dying under some kids swing set, on their pool cover, in their hedges, etc. I don't have any better suggestions on how to control their numbers, but it sure isn't for me. Like I said, to each his own.

I participated in something like this a few years ago on private property with the QDMA. I literally had a stand in someones back in between their house and their  tennis court. The deer are so use to seeing people I could have walked up and stabbed one. I wasn't into it but to each there own.

I find the show entertaining and yes it is probably scripted . The lady who was so adamant about not letting anyone on her property to slaughter the deer must have been in on the whole bit . Since the show was to be televised one of her neighbors or a friend ( assuming she had any ) would be giving her a heads up about the guys doing their sneaky thing to get the dead deer off her property .

We all no that was staged but believe or not some people act like that sometimes even worse...........

Heard on another site episode 4 depicted them trespassing to recover a deer.

Checked it out and sure enough they did.

Great job!

Of course this doesn't reflect on hunters at all and would be a great video to show the 

people in a town where hunters are trying to get approval to hunt.

Ya think maybe the show might be scripted and that the Lady whose property they tresspassed on knew the script also . With the show being televised , there is no way she wouldn't have eventually found out about the deer recovery and those guys would be in deep doo-doo if that wasn't so . I would even bet that the dead doe was placed there just for the show .

• Like 3