Jump to content

Official 2022 Fall Plots Thread


Recommended Posts

12 hours ago, Robhuntandfish said:

It's rained like hell south of both of us. Even a couple t storm warnings. But not a drop here either. ......

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk
 

A nice green and red cell went less than a mile from most of my plots yesterday. lol. That was a nerve racking hour or so lol 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

about twice a day i check the forecast and it keeps changing. Thursday looked good, now not so much. Now maybe tomorrow. But next week is looking ok. I can't get back to plant till maybe tomorrow or thursday. I did a final disc yesterday so I just need to fert, light disc, pack, seed and pack. But didn't want to put fert down without seed so who the hell knows what's going to grow lol. 

I was never worried about my spring clover, but man is it looking withered and rough right now. No new growth at all and I think the deer are browsing more there than in the apples or corn which is surprising to me. 

Edited by Belo
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Belo said:

about twice a day i check the forecast and it keeps changing. Thursday looked good, now not so much. Now maybe tomorrow. But next week is looking ok. I can't get back to plant till maybe tomorrow or thursday. I did a final disc yesterday so I just need to fert, light disc, pack, seed and pack. But didn't want to put fert down without seed so who the hell knows what's going to grow lol. 

I was never worried about my spring clover, but man is it looking withered and rough right now. No new growth at all and I think the deer are browsing more there than in the apples or corn which is surprising to me. 

If your intentions are to fertilize and plant a few days later. it wont harm anything. Just cover the fert lightly. Clovers are looking terrible everyhere, unless they were spring planted with a grain, and the grain was harvested recently.. I just terminated my aflalfa clover plot bc i cant compete with the alfalfa next door.. Did this in hopes to get a good bulb plot established.. now I probably wont have either and really messed it up good lol :) 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, LET EM GROW said:

If your intentions are to fertilize and plant a few days later. it wont harm anything. Just cover the fert lightly. Clovers are looking terrible everyhere, unless they were spring planted with a grain, and the grain was harvested recently.. I just terminated my aflalfa clover plot bc i cant compete with the alfalfa next door.. Did this in hopes to get a good bulb plot established.. now I probably wont have either and really messed it up good lol :) 

I know and that's just the thing, with the weather the way it is, who knows if and when I'll plant. I thought about fertilizing yesterday but one of my kids burned his finger on his quad and it just got a little hectic and we ended up calling it a day.

With my clover/chicory plot I'm still glad I did the work as the field was starting to become overgrown. Some frost seeding this spring for sure. 

Edited by Belo
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Belo said:

I know and that's just the thing, with the weather the way it is, who knows if and when I'll plant. I thought about fertilizing yesterday but one of my kids burned his finger on his quad and it just got a little hectic and we ended up calling it a day.

With my clover/chicory plot I'm still glad I did the work as the field was starting to become overgrown. Some frost seeding this spring for sure. 

Just checked the weather again, and it just tripled in the amount of rain we are supposed to get today. vs what it said at 8am when i checked it. and doubled tomorrows forecast as well.. Please please please. Have more money invested in plots this year than ever before. 8.5 acres this year. when i typically do 1.5-2 acres a year 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, LET EM GROW said:

And it just doubled again from what was forecasted at 1030. lol. c'mon .7"!! c'mon!! lol 

Seems north south and west of my place from what i can see on radar.... ugh

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, phade said:

It's pouring here in Henrietta. Pop up thunderstorm. Isolated but S and W of here getting rain. Hoping this continues.

Not a drop in Mendon. Grrr

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well looks like rain is about over.. looks like i got about 4 hours  of light rain today. Have to check rain gage  when i get home..  should of helped a lot especially the fact it was evening and sun didnt evaporate it right away ....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Like many of you, I watched the yellow and orange rain cells go around me yesterday.  Hoping today is better.  Supposed to be light rain all afternoon, more rain tonight and some tomorrow morning.  Guess we'll see.  Wishing you all steady rain on your plots, gardens and fields.  

I'm done with summer.  Bring on fall.  LFG!

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, phade said:

Big old zero for rain on our plots. Maps show a circle of no rain for about 15-20 miles and the entire surrounding area got solid rain. So weird. 

We got about 1/16” yesterday on wmu 9F.  It looked like that was enough to boost the turnips just a little, that I planted a couple weeks ago,  when I checked on them this morning.

I am going to wait until we get at least 1/2” of rain, before I mow my old clover plots, or try and work up the spots where I will put in new ones (mixed with wheat) after September 1.  
 

This 2 acre corn plot is looking pretty darn good now, but with the deer hitting it as hard as they are, I doubt it will last even until opening day of gun season.  It should make for some fine mid-September antlerless gun hunting though.  It definitely seems to be their preferred browse right now, judging by all the chewed up ears and tracks leading to it.  There was a bachelor group of (3) bucks in it Sunday morning, including a decent 2.5 yr 8-point. 

Knowing that I would be lacking standing corn this year, I left a few acres of tall grass/hay, that I normally would have bush-hogged.  Hopefully, that will provide the cover, and the wheat and turnips will provide the food, to keep some deer around thru the Holiday ML season.  The odds of there being any corn left back there by then is slim to none.  

 6353742D-DA6A-4927-BCA4-BAA2B8A9BD5F.thumb.jpeg.2765bd91657bf526c0156fb3ec739d4b.jpeg
 

That 2 acres of grass to the right of the big Poplar tree (where I have a very comfortable blind) is extremely thick and over 8 ft tall. It probably would of taken 10 gallons of $5 diesel fuel to get it cut, so leaving it for deer cover this year was a win win deal.

050C1190-3F94-44AD-AF92-6F4251257BDD.thumb.jpeg.e60666831d145fbdfa176b8a168c06e2.jpeg

Edited by wolc123
Link to comment
Share on other sites

FML everything went south of Webster. I moved a meeting that I probably shouldn't have and rushed to get down fert and seed. Which including a light disc and cultipacking, so not short work. The whole time the skies south were dark. It even sprinkled a little and was thundering. Then nothing. Now maybe a small chance for rain today but unlikely. Next shot looks like sunday... ugh.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...