windy? what do you think?

Andersondnb

Depending on where you are in relation to the noreaster..I'd say hunt.

Seems like I see plenty of deer movement about 50 percent of time time when windy. Generally the wind will be constant in one general direction, so choose the right wind stand and hunt.

The real key is IF you are not seeing deer during the heavy winds, then you are out there when they stop blowing so hard. Deer will be up and moving to feed after the front/storm passes.

If that means sitting through a bit of wind, then so be it. I see lots of people saying I'm gonna sleep in and hunt the afternoon....to me, there's a big difference between riding out the wind in the morning and being right there in the stand at the time movement picks up, and slumbering out the stand AFTER the winds die. You're either missing the movement or walking in it.

That said, the afternoon should be good though.

"The difference between success and failure in your early-season  exploits could come down to managing your stand setups effectively  without broadcasting your intentions to the trophy buck you're  targeting."

http://www.northamericanwhitetail.com/huntingtactics/NAW_stand_0710/index.html

Great advise, check it out.

Well you have to weigh the options One: deer seem to move after a rain storm wich we are having.  Two:  deer seem to hang tight in wind as far as I have seen.  Now with the combination rain then wind I would think you would get some movment but it might be dampened a little.  If it is very windy the deer will be on high alert so sit tight and don't move alot and keep you sent in mind.

I changed my plans about where to hunt due to the weather . Although it is forecasted to stop raining in South Bristol around 10 pm , the ground will still be wet . I would have to walk about 500 yards down some hilly terrain and I know how slippery it was when we put the treestands up soooooo , I think I will be hunting in the Geneseo area where it is much flatter .

If Geneseo doesn't look so great , I may leave around noon , come home and go to Saturday evening mass and hunt South Bristol Sunday ....

I have everything pretty much ready except for hooking up the trailer and loading the ATV .

Here in Vernon they are saying 60% chance of rain and winds about 19 mph out of the NW until about noon. After noon 10% chance of rain with little wind. I will ride out the storm and be in my stand by 5:45 - 6:00 and keep my fingers crossed that I get action. Like others have said if you are not out hunting you will not get a deer. Dress for the weather and good luck to all. Don't foget to post your succes on  http://huntingny.com/forums/index.php/topic,1595.msg16928.html#msg16928

I seldom see much movement when it's windy. I just read an article by Charlie Alsheimer recently, that said when the wind blows harder than 12mph, as the wind goes up, deer activity goes down.

BUT, I will say that I tend to see good activity the morning after a good long rain, like today. So we'll have to see how it plays out.

I'll be up a tree. Its windy 1/2 the fall and I got 25 plus days to bow hunt but i'm not missing the first day for 15 mph winds dropping to 9.....

Use the right stand,mine is at the base of a sloping cut corn field in a little 1/2 acre woods the slope is always way less windy and the deer like that as well as passing through that patch of woods .

Hum strong winds and rain over night, rain stopping and winds dropping in the AM sounds ok to me.

I hate the wind!!!!! Almost as much as a driving rain. The only deer that I have seen during high winds was only during peak rut, and any deer that venture out into the wind are nervous wrecks. The wind messes up every sense that they have and they know it. Even when that one in one thousand chance occurs of a deer coming to your stand in the wind, the odds of being able to get away with anything is nearly nil. The only thing that might work in your favor is scent because high winds dissipate scent molecule plumes. But high wind is NOT good news.

Doc

Windy days are great days to still hunt, scout, and fine tune stands because the wind will wipe your scent away. I'll be on the move. Good Luck to all and have fun! It's finally here.

Now those are some real good suggestions for using windy days. Especially scouting. I always do a lot of in-season scouting in order to keep up with the latest and greatest feeding, bedding and other patterns. A nice crappy day of wind or rain that is a bit on the too heavy side, is a good time to get updated on deer schedules and activities. Those kinds of days are not good excuses to stay on the couch, although heavy rains can keep me under cover....lol.

Doc

Make sure it's  good tree with no dead limbs overhead. Maybe a hard-hat wouldn't be such a bad idea ..... lol. Be sure to get the lead right as you are swaying around in the tree tops. I've got a feeling that I will really be appreciating being a ground-stand hunter tomorrow. Might get a chance to see how good I am at shooting moving targets as the deer blow by. I think as long as they just roll along and don't start bouncing I'll have a better chance.

Doc

Good luck boys I'm off to bed - Rain or shine (wind, snow, fog or hail for that matter) i will be in a tree at sunrise.

Then I'm taking my 4 yr old daughter out to the blind "we" (i use that term loosely) built on the food plot. I don't know if i really even care about the morning just want the afternoon to get here :O .