Cougar

pointman

About 2 weeks agao my daughter, who lives near Indian Point in Westchester, said that her neighbor saw a cougar near the facility.  Yesterday she called me and said her husband saw the same big cat nearby the facility.  I know that doesn't seem possible but  2 people saw the same thing,same discription. Anyone one else happen to see anything?

About 2 weeks agao my daughter, who lives near Indian Point in Westchester, said that her neighbor saw a cougar near the facility. Yesterday she called me and said her husband saw the same big cat nearby the facility. I know that doesn't seem possible but 2 people saw the same thing,same discription. Anyone one else happen to see anything?

What was the description? My friend works at Indian Point, he sees bobcats frequently. I'm sure it was a bobcat.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

So let me start this off for you....lots of poo whooing about sightings and a cat was found to have wondered in and was hit....no panthers or leopards in the US but they recently either captured or killed one in Arizona...can't recall where I read the NEWS article on it...but it was found to have migrated up from Mexico...recently

To this I say ...even though it may not necessarily be life changing noticeable to us ...there is a climate change happening and guess what? the animals are the first to notice....they do this by migrating...such as with the # of sharks found off the NE shores and Gators being found in more northern areas Still south but farther north than usual ...Elk found in more mid west-eastern/ states ....This will continue to happen...I remember 35 yrs ago when our Samoyed chased a large animal into a deep Letchworth woods... Mr B. wouldn't let me go in after him...when he came back out he was covered in "sheet" that smelled just like pig "sheet"...blk bear...well back then Bkl bear WERE NOT in Letchworth. and they would never migrate this far..sorry they were...and now look at their range ...we had to try and wash him in the stream the stink was so bad even in the bronco with the top off we couldn't stand the smell

This is like many other..... "this would never happen" scenarios with wild life...things change...... animals adapt and Lord knows they surely do so faster than humans...lol

• Like 1

Size of cat was about the size of a German sheppard, orange color, long tail.

Just got off phone to DEC and person stated that they received several calls from that area about cat and a picture.

If the description is accurate ,  it's no bobcat.

One of our amish neighbors ad his buggy horse attacked by one this summer... it ripped it all up... im planning on shooting the SOB if i get the chance... the amish have seen it a total of 5 or 6 times and they want it dead!!! (they carry there rifles w them in there buggies during deer season) one of my buddies had it run across the rd in front of him last fall too...  

So let me start this off for you....lots of poo whooing about sightings and a cat was found to have wondered in and was hit....no panthers or leopards in the US but they recently either captured or killed one in Arizona...can't recall where I read the NEWS article on it...but it was found to have migrated up from Mexico...recently

To this I say ...even though it may not necessarily be life changing noticeable to us ...there is a climate change happening and guess what? the animals are the first to notice....they do this by migrating...such as with the # of sharks found off the NE shores and Gators being found in more northern areas Still south but farther north than usual ...Elk found in more mid west-eastern/ states ....This will continue to happen...I remember 35 yrs ago when our Samoyed chased a large animal into a deep Letchworth woods... Mr B. wouldn't let me go in after him...when he came back out he was covered in "sheet" that smelled just like pig "sheet"...blk bear...well back then Bkl bear WERE NOT in Letchworth. and they would never migrate this far..sorry they were...and now look at their range ...we had to try and wash him in the stream the stink was so bad even in the bronco with the top off we couldn't stand the smell

This is like many other..... "this would never happen" scenarios with wild life...things change...... animals adapt and Lord knows they surely do so faster than humans...lol

You're thinking of jaguar in the SW case...Mexico has a small population and used to be a great ground for them, as was the SW.

It's akin to the rogue cougar that came from the MW and traveled all the way east to the coast.

• Like 2

But we got one on camera Phade - actually it was a leopard.

That's why we keep it quiet. So, people don't think we're crazy, lol.

Who knows, maybe another transient made its way across. Entirely plausible. I'm just waiting for the "they're here and breeding" posts. That's where the popcorn needs to come out.

• Like 2

I've never seen one. But have heard from many local farmers that they have been in Duchess County for about 20 years.  These are men that know the land and animals that inhabit the land better than I will ever know.  They don’t report the sighting to authorities, because they don’t want to be looked at funny, nor do they care what roams their land.

Some of them have had their family farms since colonial days.  They claim the Eastern Cougar has always been here.  Some claim that they are released pets.  I don’t know.   But I do know that 25 years ago, NYS DEC claimed that NO Coyotes lived in NYS.  They would call you a nut, drunk or other names if you reported a coyote.

I personally think it’s quite possible that mt. Loins are repopulating our state.  You would be very lucky to spot one.  Maybe in 50 years they will be as common as bears or coyotes

• Like 1

Thanks for the correction Phade...it brings the point across though that animal ranges are starting to shift...even if it were oneor twoa year being found...just like they are doing with other species in other states.....as the climate continues to change so will animal patterns

Agreed, caught this on Monday night, we have more shore caught sharks this year than ever before

Brown shark, measured 55" and approx. 50-60 pounds

post-1872-0-93492300-1377096859_thumb.jp

Unfortunately, none of these sightings or claims come with any sort of tangible evidence. Is it even likely that with all the game cameras out there monitoring the woods these days that no one comes up with verifiable pictures? No bones, track photos or casts, road-kill, confirmed cat-style livestock losses, deer season sightings by hunters ..... nothing. The one documented wandering lion in NYS did eventually turn up as road-kill. So if people are skeptical, who can blame them. At some point, if a population of any significance ever shows up, there won't be any argument. Confirmation will be common knowledge.

On the other hand never say never. Anything is possible. There were never any coyotes back when I was a kid ..... none. It sure didn't take long for them to become more than just common here now. Bear sightings were almost unheard of. A couple years ago I spent two consecutive days cleaning up garbage strewn up through the woods with the garbage can 100 yards into the woods. Not to mention the iron pole that was bent to the ground that used to hold the bird feeder. So nothing is impossible.

I am sooooooo not interested in seeing a super predator like that in NY. There is something comforting about being at the top of the food chain.

Same with pigs...and I think we'll be dealing with pigs on a macro scale much sooner than big cats.

Pigs are the bane of many deer hunters in the south and midwest.

• Like 1

Doc, proof is tough to come by.. dont believe that with all the cameras out there there must be a pic. the ivory billed woodpecker was extinct for 50 plus years, and then someone heard a call was told he was nuts. 3 years later they were able to finially get photo.(this is a large bird 2 ft plus) and viola! its not extinct!! now if someone could catch a blue pike or two out of lake erie........

With the New York state moose population estimated to be near 600 animals , why is it there are very few photos taken of them from trail cameras ? They are certainly not elusive when compared to other species. Was the mountain lion that was killed in Connecticut captured on anyone's trail camera ?

Not only trail cams, but just about everyone carries a cell phone with a camera on it. if these critters are being spotted by multiple people, why has no one snapped a pic or 2? Could one be travelling through? sure. is there a breeding population? doubtful yet. But can someone just get picture! 

With the New York state moose population estimated to be near 600 animals , why is it there are very few photos taken of them from trail cameras ? They are certainly not elusive when compared to other species. Was the mountain lion that was killed in Connecticut captured on anyone's trail camera ?

People post trailcam pics of moose in NY on here every year. Look through the Trail Cam Photo section.

The one killed in CT was well documented. I believe they said there were pictures, verified tracks, etc.

• Like 1