Shotgun Poll

I have $400 to buy a shotgun. I have a slug gun ( Ithaca model 37). So this will be a gun for turkey geese and duck. My choices are stoeger over under model 3000 or mossburg model 535 pump with turkey and waterfowl barrel. Vote your choice and why.

well my personal would be a autoloader. Come to think of it I have one I would sell. Its a Remington 1100. PM me for details if interested. Back to your question. Out of these 2 I would choose the Mossberg because it is a pump and can hold a few more shells then the over under.. I have the 535 in turkey barrel and a slug barrel. its very comfy to shoot not too heavy

I use the 535 for waterfowl, good reliable, just shoot some 31/2s out of it before you get in the field, they need to be broke in,  use the modified choke 31/2 double bb for goose and you can drop them a long way out, ducks im shooting #2 in a 3in same results, 

Go for the o/u, can't have more than 3 shells during regular waterfowl season any way. Although I would cation you on Stoeger's quality as its not always the best. For a few more bucks you can pick up a Franchi or any other makes.

I have used my Franchi on turkey, pheasant and grouse so far and will adding Goose to the list shortly. But I also own a 870, a wincester sx-2, a browning Maxus, and a lil stoeger 20 gauge.

Buy what fits you the best!

If you have an Ithaca 37, save your money and buy another barrel for the gun you have.   I think you would be able to pick one up at most gun shops. I have a few ithaca 37's in different guages and each has more than 1 barrel...real easy to switch

Id look around for a used semiauto in that price range. I wouldnt bother with an O/U for Turkey or Waterfowl. Its more bulky and a tad harder to conceal for turkey, and you only have 2 shots for waterfowl. The other consideration is recoil. Im not a big fan of it, and a gas operated semi takes alot off of that.

Go for the o/u, can't have more than 3 shells during regular waterfowl season any way. Although I would cation you on Stoeger's quality as its not always the best. For a few more bucks you can pick up a Franchi or any other makes.

I have used my Franchi on turkey, pheasant and grouse so far and will adding Goose to the list shortly. But I also own a 870, a wincester sx-2, a browning Maxus, and a lil stoeger 20 gauge.

Buy what fits you the best!

Early goose season just got bumped up to 5 shot .

I am not a 535 fan. A friend and I paid hell trying to get his to pattern and put a 100 rounds through it. It shot great with the 3" but the 3-1/2's shot donut patterns. We tried multiple choke as well as custom machined chokes. Couldn't get a consistent pattern with the big shells.

I would look in the used market at that price.

if you already have a bird gun, look for a rifled barrel slug gun. I think the 535 has that option but cannot remember. I own an 835 with 2 bird barrels. I bought the 835 because I believe it wasn't that much more and had a few nicer features, most notably it's basically a 10 gauge and doesn't kick nearly as bad as the notoriously hard kicking 535. Either way, get a limbsaver recoil pad if you're shooting anything 3 or over.

his Ithaca is a slug gun . He wants one for turkey and duck. An option could be a bird barrel for the Ithaca. But if it is a receiver mounted scope I can see his desire for a new gun to avoid removnig the scope. If the OP is shooting open sights on the slug barrel i would just get a bird barrel for the 37.

• Like 1

his Ithaca is a slug gun . He wants one for turkey and duck. An option could be a bird barrel for the Ithaca. But if it is a receiver mounted scope I can see his desire for a new gun to avoid removnig the scope. If the OP is shooting open sights on the slug barrel i would just get a bird barrel for the 37.

if that's the case, this is what i bought.

835 with 2 barrels for under $600 brand new (looks like prices went up)

http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Mossberg-835-Ulti-Mag-Turkey/Waterfowl-Shotgun-Combo&i=613933

I'd look for a used Browning A-5 in 12 or 20 gauge.  A lot of them were plugged to limit to 3 rounds for Federal migrating bird restrictions.  I have seen some between $400 and $500 (field models, not the fancy gold tiggers or Ducks Unlimited versions).

Easy to swap-out barrels or remove barrel to clean it.  Easier to put barrel back on the A-5 than when re-attaching barrel on a double-barrel.

If you go that route, look for Belgium or USA made ones.  Avoid the Japanese made barrels on the latest models before they were retired in the 80's.

Over course if you are looking for a camo stock and barrel, you have to look elsewhere.  Don't see the point of a camo gun.  We never had problems getting ducks, geese, deer, or rabbits in my family with hardwood stocks and blued barrels on our shotguns and rifles.

For that price range, I'd check out gunbroker.com or another auction site and look for a beretta semi-auto.  Several A302 or A303 models around that price.  I have a Pintail ES100 (one on there for 550) , bought from that site, that is perfect for waterfowl and small game.  Pintail is inertia operated, the others are gas operated.  I love those Italian shotguns.

If your set to get new though, I love my rem 870 almost as much....

What's your opinion on the 887 nitro mag ? Can get it in a 26 or 28 inch barrel. It can take up to 3.5 shell. On sale at dicks for 369. That's 30 bucks less than the 535 combo. I'm going tomorrow so I have to make up my mind !!