Smith & Wesson Model 350

ridgerunner88

My buddy and I were talking about how convenient it would be just carry a revolver into the woods over a rifle. Now at $1600 not including optics this is quite the luxury item but seems like a cool way to harvest a deer. Does anyone have stories about taking down a dear with a handgun?

smith.PNG

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I taken one doe with a 44mag super redhawk with open sights. It was about a 40 yrd shot with a good rest. I've killed 3 doe and a small buck with a Thompson contender pistol scoped with a 4x Nikon chambered in 7-30 waters. Farthest shot was 125 yards resting on a round bale. 

• Like 4

I took a small doe with my Smith and Wesson 29 (44mag) years ago. It had the 8 3/8" barrel, and had a red dot scope on it. I shot the doe from about 15 feet up at about 15 yards and put her down hard. 

That winter, I decided the red dot looked stupid, and swapped it out for adjustable open sights. I never really put the time into practicing with it, just a few bench shots before the next season. I took it out on a hunt, and had 6 deer come through at about 20 yards. I gave them all 6 chambers, and never hit a darn thing. After that, I never took it hunting again. It was stolen in a home burglary a few years after that, returned, and I regrettably sold it in 2014. 

I don't plan on handgun hunting again unless I just really want a challenge and have the time to practice. 

DSC01476.JPG

Edited by Splitear
  • Like 3

I’ve been hunting with my SRH 44 with the 9.5 barrel for some years now. I’ve taken 2 doe one at 25 yards and one at 45 - 50 yards . I had installed a scope on mine before last season , and it cost me a buck , low light opening day deer was 15 yards . So the red dot is back on her now and I’m good out to 100 yards with it . I carry mine in a bandolier holster and love hunting with it . 

B30468D5-64D6-41A9-BD51-D2D7FEB2EE4E.jpeg

• Like 4

I haven’t connected yet, but the 29-2 .44 magnum will be in my backpack all gun season. Last year opening day i had the hammer back and sights aligned on a fat doe but let her go hoping my wife would wack her a few hundred yards away. The deer never crossed her lanes. I wont make that mistake again! However moments before i killed a nice 8 point (rifle kill .222 Remington) so i was still on cloud nine! 

A4A20D04-F203-4EB5-A9D1-358AEFD826B0.jpeg

D7A47EAB-0C2F-437D-89D5-2C897DAD2490.jpeg

Edited by SpacemanSpiff
  • Like 5

53 minutes ago, Larry said:

If I’m going to pay 1600 for a 350-legend handgun, I would buy a 460 SW instead or maybe a 500. I all ready have a 629dx SW.

460 is the best bang for the buck , 460 / 45 colt / 45 schofield / 454 casual .  4 calibers in one gun can’t beat it . 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, ridgerunner88 said:

My buddy and I were talking about how convenient it would be just carry a revolver into the woods over a rifle. Now at $1600 not including optics this is quite the luxury item but seems like a cool way to harvest a deer. Does anyone have stories about taking down a dear with a handgun?

smith.PNG

Ive got a couple rifles that weigh about 2 lbs more. LOL  

If you're into it for the challenge, go for it.  If it's for some perceived notion of convenience, forget it.  And if you enjoy eating venison, REALLY forget it.  :)

• Like 2

I've killed 11 deer over the years with a handgun 6 with my DW VH8 44mag 3 with my S&W 629DX 1 with a 6mmBR XP100 and 1 with a 35rem XP100. What I have found is that the 44mag shot though every deer I shot even with a 180gr hp. What I'm trying to say I think the 44mag is all you need for white tails out to 100 yards.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Lawdwaz said:

Ive got a couple rifles that weigh about 2 lbs more. LOL  

If you're into it for the challenge, go for it.  If it's for some perceived notion of convenience, forget it.  And if you enjoy eating venison, REALLY forget it.  :)

It is definitely convenient, especially when I used to do deer drives. 

• Haha 1

10 mm more than capable of taking  deer within reason. All dependent on the shooters abilities.  If I could find a lefthanded 1911 in 10 mm  I could hunt with I would do it . I have a glock 21 that's a real shooter just don't like it enough to want to hunt with it . Never warmed up to the glock or I would buy a 10 mm to hunt with .

Edited by Nytracker

2 hours ago, suburbanfarmer said:

What about the latest fad of hunting with 10mm ?

I see so many videos on youtube using glocks and 1911 in 10mm caliber.

Next season I’m seriously  considering taking my RIA ultra  1911 10 mm out. I may carry my super red hawk  and take the 10 also,  if 25 yard down shot presents itself I’d use the 10 . 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, suburbanfarmer said:

What about the latest fad of hunting with 10mm ?

I see so many videos on youtube using glocks and 1911 in 10mm caliber.

Maybe its a fad, but one of my hunting mentors used a 10mm often while hunting. 

I've never really seen the allure to using one. I did take down a doe with a 9 mm carbine. Short distance, and legal in that state. Meh. If I'm worried about convenience, my CVA Scouts in 350 L or 243 are not much at all to carry. 

• Like 1

Super blackhawk .44 in a Kenai chest rig goes in the stand with me during regular gun season. Years back on opening day daughter and i were sitting in a groundblind we had made prior to seaon with blow down logs etc. Our butts in our turkey strut chairs. Probably wasn't 30 minutes in to legal and 2 deer come ripping by so close we couldn't get our shotguns up fast enough. She whispers take a shot if you get one. I quickly stood up gave a long loud baaaaaa and they locked up. Drew the .44 out and center punched one of the "doe" . Iron sights and had been shooting alot at 50 yards all summer and fall. Bang flop. Turns out my doe had just less than 3" horns. I flipped him over and said balls literally thinking I spent my buck tag half hour into season. SMH  Daughter knowing the regulations whips out her iphone and uses measuring ap and says you're good lol. I lasered the gutpile from shot. 63 yards

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Super blackhawk .44 in a Kenai chest rig goes in the stand with me during regular gun season. Years back on opening day daughter and i were sitting in a groundblind we had made prior to seaon with blow down logs etc. Our butts in our turkey strut chairs. Probably wasn't 30 minutes in to legal and 2 deer come ripping by so close we couldn't get our shotguns up fast enough. She whispers take a shot if you get one. I quickly stood up gave a long loud baaaaaa and they locked up. Drew the .44 out and center punched one of the "doe" . Iron sights and had been shooting alot at 50 yards all summer and fall. Bang flop. Turns out my doe had just less than 3" horns. I flipped him over and said balls literally thinking I spent my buck tag half hour into season. SMH  Daughter knowing the regulations whips out her iphone and uses measuring ap and says you're good lol. I lasered the gutpile from shot. 63 yards

Moral of the story = ALWAYS CARRY SOFT TAPE!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Nytracker said:

10 mm more than capable of taking  deer within reason. All dependent on the shooters abilities.  If I could find a lefthanded 1911 in 10 mm  I could hunt with I would do it . I have a glock 21 that's a real shooter just don't like it enough to want to hunt with it . Never warmed up to the glock or I would buy a 10 mm to hunt with .

You know , there’s lots of 1911’s with ambi thumb safety’s. My Rock island is . 

1 hour ago, Nytracker said:

Not sure if I would like it . Shot my budd colt . Could never get a consistent grip on the back strap.

Your more than welcome to shoot  my Rock if you want to try another . I actually have grip spacers on mine to fatten up the grip, kinda feels like a double stack grip . 

Used a 8 inch Dan Wesson .44, for a few years, worked just fine , but most of my gun kills aren’t that far ,bow range plus . 

My only concern was seeing a large buck to far for my abilities with it .

21 minutes ago, Nomad said:

Used a 8 inch Dan Wesson .44, for a few years, worked just fine , but most of my gun kills aren’t that far ,bow range plus . 

My only concern was seeing a large buck to far for my abilities with it .

Thats why i always carry the rifle for back up. That would be just my luck to have that happen.