Tobacco users, smokers, chewers...

donrtowery

How do you get your "fix" out in the field? 

I've been a smoker for a long time.  Theres a couple different ways I can get my fix without lighting up.  I can chew regular tobacco, Snus (the spitless chew), or e-cigs.  Will using chew chase the deer off from the scent?

Anyone use e-cigs while hunting?  any affects on the deer that you've noticed?

I just quit dipping this week. Just thought about the chance of getting cancer and losing my smile or life because of a buzz isn't worth it.

But to answer your question, I have seen my fair share of deer while having a lip in, and wintergreen long cut sure as hell isn't scent free. I just didn't care and enjoyed my time in the woods.

I use the E-Cig also but every few hours need a real one

My first 8 pointer (hanging on my wall ) came in down wind while I was smoking shot him @50 yards still coming in with my rifle

I have shot a # of deer while smoking or had just finished one but trying to at least cut back on smoking in general so I use the E-cig more now

I smoked for 18 years, no patches, no gum, no chantix garbage.

Alan Carr "easy way to quit smoking"

if you really wanna quit read it, by the time you finish the book your done smoking.

Instead of taking smoke breaks at work, i would still go outside but instead read a few pages

you can thank me later  :)

I am an ex smoker and chewer, Shot many deer smoking a Camel and more chewing berry Skoal.

I quit smoking maybe 8 years ago now and quit dip now 2 or 3 years ago. The dip I still miss but not cigs at all. Quit both cold turkey. I always have  sunflower seeds now in stand.

I quit dip this spring, after I found out my brother had cancer. I used to have a camel snus mellow pouch in all day, changing every 30-45 min. Hunting this year is going to be my biggest challenge, I didn't miss it at all until it started getting cooler. While, personally I have seen plenty of deer with it in my mouth, short of some big flavor/ scent tobacco I don't think you'll have a problem. I used to give my dad crap about smoking in the tree stand and he always joked that it was no different from the wood stove the deer walked by last night(He has shot plenty of deer).

Side note, there is no bigger preacher than an ex- tobacco user, so do what makes you happiest. I'm more afraid the bubble gum I'll be chewing this year will scare them off. Good luck this year.

I'm a Copenhagen snuff guy myself... Have been for way too many years with a few long breaks. Whenever I quit, cold turkey is my preferred method but i always stumble upon an excuse to start up again. Every time I go to the dentist I expect Crappy news yet he always tells me all is fine...another excuse to keep chewing. I know It's time when the kids start asking why my spit is brown

I quit dip this spring, after I found out my brother had cancer. I used to have a camel snus mellow pouch in all day, changing every 30-45 min. Hunting this year is going to be my biggest challenge, I didn't miss it at all until it started getting cooler. While, personally I have seen plenty of deer with it in my mouth, short of some big flavor/ scent tobacco I don't think you'll have a problem. I used to give my dad crap about smoking in the tree stand and he always joked that it was no different from the wood stove the deer walked by last night(He has shot plenty of deer).

Side note, there is no bigger preacher than an ex- tobacco user, so do what makes you happiest. I'm more afraid the bubble gum I'll be chewing this year will scare them off. Good luck this year.

They make unscented, odor killing gum for hunters.  Some have flavors, I've seen honey and apple.

http://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/Hunting-Science-Gum-O-Flage---Apple-Flavor/0000000017159?gclid=CJ_o75O67LkCFU8V7AodbDoAAg

I dip often in the woods when in my own stands....if I am using someone elses I don;t out of respect for them. However, I sort of think deer like Skoal Mint...I have had many deer right under my tree smelling my spit and licking it (oh no, is that baiting...haha) Shot a 140" with the gun at 10 yards (biggest yet) and I was dipping in the stand for about 3 hours....had no effect when he walked down wind. I feel like it is a scent that they do not recognize so when they come across it they are not scared. My old man smoked for years and smokes in the woods (good sign for wind direction)....he shot a lot of deer with a Winston in his mouth....I can still picture him doing that although he quite 5 years ago.

They don't mind Copenhagen straight! Spit right on the ground. Killed one with the bow at 30 yards with a big 'ol lip in.

A fresh can of Coppenhagen straight cut if there's a fresh can I can find during gun season will be in the backpack. It will last all season. Good stuff, but the only time I chew anymore is during gun season. Yes, it has the possibilities of spooking deer at times,but so does a lot of other stuff like 3 day old underwear. The five point I shot last opening day was laying on the ground as I smoked a cig above it about to do the field dressing chores and another buck of a scraggly 6,7, or 8 pts (even with scope I really couldn't tell at 45 yd) came slipping towards me. It didn't really even notice me standing there in hunter orange bibs and smoldering cig on the ground until about 40 yd when it did the stop and stare routine for a bit until gingerly pranced and loped off.