Big buck....lucky brother in law

New York Hillbilly

So here it is: My brother in law who has never bow hunted a day in his life is going with me for his first time. To his credit he has put time in shooting his bow a lot since he bought it a couple months ago. He has been shooting my deer target in my cellar and has gotten proficient.

We are hunting my land yesterday afternoon and had not hunted in the morning. I was going to sit in the same spot I do every season even though with it being early in the season with no rutting yet I pretty much figure ill see nothing. He on the other hand wanted to go sit on the side of a hill where he likes to sit in gun season. Instead, I tell him to go sit in my little apple orchard because I figure the deer would be in there munching apples.

About 5:30 he texts me he sees a doe, then a fawn, then the doe is 35 yards away chewing apples. I text back don't take any "iffy shots". Then he texts me "there's a big buck coming and I can't count his points he's about a hundred yards away". I text back to just stay still. Keep in mind he has never scouted, is standing on the ground next to a tree where I told him to go, has no clue really what is going on. Lol

I text back after a few minutes, "is he still there"? Lol He looks around the tree and days back "yes and coming closer". I text back, "stay real still". More minutes pass and guess what? He texts me "I shot a buck now what do I do?" Again, I text back to just stay still. This time I leave my stand and walk all the way across my property to him and when I get there he tells me the details. He points to where the deer ran after the shot and said he heard "a big crash". I know just where the buck was heading so I tell him to stay where he was when he shot and I slowly poked through the tangled mess into a small creek bottom.

There was his buck.....and holy what a brute. This slammer hung around for better than a half hour and then walks 15 yards and quarters away from this first time hunter, standing next to a tree, who the delivers a beautiful shot straight into the deers heart.

Moving it was a nightmare because of the weight. After dragging it by hand back into the orchard we were able to get it onto the four wheeler. I'll try to post a picture tomorrow to share. I watched this buck when I was brush hogging during the summer. He was a 3 1/2 or 4 1/2 year old buck. After living that long he gets taken by one lucky brother in law. Lol!!

Edited by New York Hillbilly
  • Like 11

LOL sometimes that just how it plays out.  Good story, lucky first time hunter.  My old boss wanted to bow hunt so I mentored him a lot like you have as well.  This guy has never even hunted for anything in his whole life.  His very first bow hunt, 30 minutes in he shoots a tremendous 8 point.  After recovery he says to me this hunting stuff just sucks, its way to easy.  The guy a couple months later gave me all his hunting stuff and never hunted again.  Now on the flip side imagine if it takes your brother in law years to get his next deer. His frustration level would have to be higher than most after doing what he has done on his first hunt.  Its very cool though you pointed him in the right direction and was part of his first hunting memories.  One of the best parts of hunting just unfolded with you all a part of it.  I think you deserve to eat the backstraps by yourself lol.

I'll try to do the picture thing tonight. I only have my phone now because I left my "MIFI" thing back home in Oneida county and I'm all the way back north in St. Lawrence county. Without that thing I have no way to use my laptop. The buck was a very heavy mass 8 point. The body was enormous. I've killed lots of deer over the past 40 plus or minus years, and I tell you this deer body wise was beyond impressive. If my wife can help me post with the phone I'll do it later today. If not I will when I can use my laptop. Funny thing is, my brother in law is the one that needs to overnight the MIFI thing to me. Lol

Edited by New York Hillbilly