Hunter's Code of Ethics

Rob Answer

Wow! Poor ol' Rob is not having a real good day. Sorry about that Rob, but you have to admit that your original post did leave a lot of confusion. Also criticizing someone who was in the midst of doing the proper thing of following up on a wounded deer, really didn't sit all that well with other members.

I'll say this. I have had a lot of hunts busted by a whole lot of different circumstances. And I have never been afraid to do a little whine here on this forum. Some times it helps to blow off a little steam when unfortunate events happen. People understand that. But to try to blame people for an innocent encounter especially where they are doing an honorable and ethical thing of following up on a wounded deer probably was an invite to a bit of abuse.

Take a deep breath and understand that people here were simply having a little fun with you. Your post was worded badly, and expressed a sentiment not shared by very many people. Also understand that most people here have more of a problem with those that do an insufficient job of following up after the shot than someone who inadvertently blunders into another hunter's set-up. I understand when things go badly and our hunt is interrupted, That it can be a bit frustrating. But if you relax, sit back and think about it all, you will see that it was simply one of those unavoidable things that are irritating, but not really done with any malicious intent.

• Like 1

Not to stick up for rob, but his frustration coming out of him could be a "last straw" kinda deal. A lot of folks on here don't hunt long island. While its certainly no excuse, by this point in a season, hunting public land, its very possible that you can be simply fed up with the way things go. He makes the comment about losing out on 300 bucks, well, what if this is the 3rd or 4th hunt that has been screwewd up(1200). Maybe his wife is angry, as most are by this point in season.

I started hunting a few of the county spots on long island this year. These spots were supposedly off limits to hunting for past few decades and just opened up last season.And what I found was half-expected. Permament treestands, and chain ons (illegal), guys slipping into the woods from areas other than the assignedparking spots (illegal). Matter of fact I have a suspician that there is a whole group of guys (club?) who are using 2 adjacent county pieces to come and go as they please, with no regard for the rules and first come first serve, etc.

Not sticking up for rob, just pointing out that it can be awful out there and sometimes you can just reach a point where your sick of the bs.

while i agree it does suck that the ppl came and busted up your hunt, it happens i would NEVER hunt state land and do a lot to make sure i have private land to hunt and even then in wonderful New York I have trespassers from time to time.  If i were you id find private land that is your to hunt without anyone else, and make sure this does not happen to you again.  

all I can say is...... WOW!!!  

Code of ethics while the list is long and is interpreted differently for a variety of reasons the main issue here involves tracking a wounded animal.   

- once you wound an animal not only are you "ethically" responsible to try and recover said animal you are also required by DEC LAW  to

try and recover that animal,, read the book its called wanton waste.

- just because its an "ethical" issue and the law doesn't mean you break laws to recover (trespassing)

I don't know you from a hill of beans and reading words on a screen leaves a lot of what you read up to the reader to interpret, what I mean is you can not hear voice tone, see facial expressions, so its hard to

tell how a person feels or what they truly meant.

I don't know how much hunting experience you have but I can tell you in 35 years of bow hunting I have only ever had this happen ONCE,

its not an every day occurrence in bow hunting. 

When gun season rolls around that is a whole different story!  just stop and think about how many hunters had their "hunt" ruined by a fellow

hunter tracking a deer they hit through "their" spot.  I can tell you it happens far more often in gun season than archery season.

While I can understand you being upset with their timing I think you are a little dramatic about it.  I do not know where this happened or how

much acreage is there, not that it really matters because those guys

trying to recover a deer is a more important issue at that time both ethically and legally. 

Being self employed I fully understand taking a day off and not making money!

here is something to think about.

"A Hunter who fails to bag a deer can leave the woods with excuses or memories. Its all a matter of
perspective."

Edited by reeltime

I hunt some pretty active state land during bow season, and I can tell you that between the mountain bikers, hikers, joggers (yes people actually jog up our "killer hill"), horseback riders, small game hunters, stray dogs, and other bowhunters, interruptions happen very frequently. But guess what.... I blow off a little steam to anyone that will listen, and then I get over it, and then I go out and get a deer. I think Rob just got to the "blowing off a little steam" phase and hasn't yet gotten to the "getting over it stage" yet. He will. These things only become deal-breakers if you let them.

I probably have it worse than most because over the decades (many, many of them) of hunting this same land, most of my hunting here were spent in conditions of never seeing another hunter (or person) during bow season. So all these interruptions are even more dramatic for me because I have experienced much better times. But if nothing else, I am adaptable. .... lol

Since of reoccurring theme here is recovering a deer, lets put a little spin on it...

On a WMA you arrow a trophy. It is 7:49 am and while waiting for the buck to "stiffen up" a group of non hunters who had parked next to you come through, not at you, but  close enough to push your buck onto  land posted  by a real tight fist or otherwise make it impossible to recover. You lose the deer and it rots (well not really, nothing in nature is wasted ,but I will go with the flow). 

How would you all react to that?

Since of reoccurring theme here is recovering a deer, lets put a little spin on it...

On a WMA you arrow a trophy. It is 7:49 am and while waiting for the buck to "stiffen up" a group of non hunters who had parked next to you come through, not at you, but  close enough to push your buck onto  land posted  by a real tight fist or otherwise make it impossible to recover. You lose the deer and it rots (well not really, nothing in nature is wasted ,but I will go with the flow). 

I don't expect non-hunters to understand the value of a deer that has been shot.  I treat it like any other non-game species that would come by an ruin my hunt like a red tail hawk circling me when I'm small game hunting.  I just throw my hand in the air and mumble "this sucks" and move on.

I would think being on public land one would expect the possibilities of both hunters and non hunters being in the area...and unless the OP is a novice hunter...they should as well...I mean there aren't any signs put up in public parking areas that say..... hunting season ..please don't disturb the hunters...are there?

They were there an hour and a half before legal time and only went 40 yards by that afternoon, and you stayed there with them that close for that long? It doesnt add up.

In any case, I have no problem with people making the effort to track down their deer. I would have either moved or helped them. Get over it.

Maybe I'm missing something here, but why is the hunt ruined? I never understood  getting mad at other people(or coyotes, or whatever) walking though and ruining a hunt or spot. In places where this type of thing is common deer are used to it, and places where it is not common deer still often don't care. I have had deer come to spots after people or coyotes were in the same area. 

In any case, being in the woods is about being in the woods, and more importantly not at a work. B)

• Like 3

good bye just another forum full of wannabe bowhunters. A bunch of immature children sitting in front of their computer just waiting to pick a part on what somebody has to say. have fun with yourselves you're all a bunch of phonies. Will not waist another minute on this forum.

Wannabe bow hunters? Let's see some studs you dropped with your bow please.

We've all had a day ruined in the stand. Even those of us who hunt private land. Get over it. It's part of hunting. Maybe you should get one of them fancy jobs that provides paid vacation.

Wannabe bow hunters? Let's see some studs you dropped with your bow please.

We've all had a day ruined in the stand. Even those of us who hunt private land. Get over it. It's part of hunting. Maybe you should get one of them fancy jobs that provides paid vacation.

wanna be bow hunters ???? says the guy who thinks a hunt is over after having someone in his sector. Us wannabes would have adapted and overcome the situation and made the best of it. Do you "wanna be" the bow hunters we are?

*directed toward rob

Edited by Cusehunter
  • Like 1

I don't expect non-hunters to understand the value of a deer that has been shot.  I treat it like any other non-game species that would come by an ruin my hunt like a red tail hawk circling me when I'm small game hunting.  I just throw my hand in the air and mumble "this sucks" and move on.

I got to admit that is an excellent post Elmo, but there still are some moot points unsettled. Wildlife managers incorporate the concept of aesthetics into policy. Aesthetics is very important to the experience of some hunters and many people who participate in non-consumptive wildlife-related recreation. Sighting a raptor during a hunt doesn't detract from aesthetics, its enhances them. The same can not be said for people dressed in street clothes, talking, and wandering around. Its one thing to encounter a hunter, a bird watcher, or a farmer, even when the farmer has his honey wagon in tow - these things characterize both the outdoor culture and rural America. Other things are simply out of place and in some cases impact wildlife-dependent recreation or wildlife itself. Wildlife managers also consider over-use of public land in policy as well. Be reminded the DEC accepts our input (stake holder input, public comment) on biological issues and social issues like antlers and crossbows. The issue of over use of public lands is both a biological and a social issue and is no different, the DEC should allow stakeholder input. If you think the level of human presence is appropriate on the public lands you hunt you can say so and vice versa... I want to emphasize the concept of managing  over use and maintaining aesthetics is not something I made up or is some radical new idea - this is a basic part of natural resource management.  However, when politics enter, and stakeholder input in a sense is politics; various concepts and principles get compromised.

Edited by mike rossi

If this was public land I see no problem going in and looking for the wounded deer. If I saw a truck parked there I would be quite and respectful while looking for the deer. Now if this is in the controlled areas out east on LI I would of told the check in station what was going on to warn hunters in that area you were looking for a deer. We have property in the Finger lakes that has the "White trail" going through it. This is a hiking trail open year around. I have been in my stand at prime time and have had hikers walking through. 

Shi# happens when land is open to the public.

Ha-ha .... I wonder how pissed these guys were when they saw the truck there and thought about the possibility that you may have pushed out their wounded deer. See, there are many ways of looking at the same scenario. Aside from the occasional anti-hunter, there are damn few people out there trying to mess up your hunt. You may get irritated at the bad luck of one these kinds of situations, but there is no need to question the ethics of these guys. They were not there to mess with hunt and were merely doing the responsible thing of trying to recover a wounded deer.

• Like 3

I assume this whole thing took place in the AM.  it's a very admirable thing showing up well before daylight.  shows dedication.  that said I don't know as if probably had any choice.  they may have showed up that early to find it before day light to help out anyone, as in you, hunting.  they aren't and shouldn't have turned around and waited until you left.  maybe they apologized for the situation, but I don't know.  I wasn't there.  how are they to know where in those woods you even are?  there's public land I hunt where I have to park in a certain spot but I hike about a mile in.  that's just outside a rural area too.  they have an obligation as the others have said to find that deer promptly.  it's unfortunate your paths crossed but you'll get that hunting public land, guaranteed.  that said I think they didn't need to hoot and holler.. couldn't celebrated a bit quitter.  i'm only assuming it was that rowdy based on what you said though.

I've had other hunters post up during gun season in a rifle zone within 60 yards of me in the woods and hunt all morning.  I flashed my light at them too.  I went over late morning when we were heading out and just talked with the guy.  asked him if he saw what I saw, was nice, told him where my stand was that I often hunted that time of the season, and we went our separate ways.  can't imagine how (as some say on here) how butt hurt you'd be if that happened.

bottom line is someone's freedoms starts where another's ends.  we've got to live together.

• Like 1

I would be upset also if I got set up in a spot and 2 people came walking by, But ( was it a 1 car parking spot ) There are a number of spots that are more then 1 car parking. Did one of the people that claimed to be tracking a deer have a dog on a long leash ?.

When I lived and helped track deer on Long Island, NY. With a Deer Search member. We would meet a person that shot a deer ( most times the afternoon before) the morning we met. We would go to the check station  and inform them that we were going to parking spot XXX to track a deer shot the day before by XXX, they would tell us if a person was there already hunting, be careful.And it was light out at that time. We would take only our truck or car.to the spot. When we arrived there and parked we were required to put a sign on the dashboard with the trackers name and NYS Leashed Tracking Dog Lic. number.So the rangers or police driving buy would know who the vechicle belonged to.

The two people tracking the deer were doing the ethicle thing. But were doing the wrong thing by parking there without permission to park or be in that area.

Maybe its just me, but I would have gotten down from the stand and helped the guys look for the deer. Also, in my opinion there is no need to ever start your hunting day an hour and a half before you can legally shoot a deer... going in at dark a little before sun up maybe.. but an hour and a half? But I suppose when your afternoons arrive shortly after you get in the woods at dark... maybe it makes sense. :pickeat:

Hooting and hollering can be understandable. First deer, monster buck or even more understandable is recovering what you think may be a lost deer. Most of us have been there. That sick feeling in the pit of your stomach instantly removed by the site of that white belly. I'm sure this was the case. However, if it carries on and they made a racket gutting and dragging? No reason for that. But you're not very good at telling stories so I'm sure we'll never know.