Snowy Owl pics...

Chenango Dave

Great pictures Dave. What kind of lens and camera do you use for these pictures?

Two off-topic questions:

How come birds of prey always look so pissed-off?

How can a bird that tears apart all kinds of bloody critters for food, always be so absolutely, perfectly white?

Great pictures Dave. What kind of lens and camera do you use for these pictures?

Two off-topic questions:

How come birds of prey always look so pissed-off?

How can a bird that tears apart all kinds of bloody critters for food, always be so absolutely, perfectly white?

Hey Doc - for my wildlife shots I use a Nikon D7100 with a Nikon 200-400 f/4 zoom lens.

Not sure why they always look pissed-off. Guess that's just how they look..

My redtail hawk will get bloody when she eats rabbits and such. When it drys she just preens herself and the blood just dissapears. might be some sort of oil on her feathers that don't let it stain? Not really sure.

Beautiful Pictures.

I watched one at the beach the other day, it stayed in one spot all day..

I did not have a camera, but a friend was there and sent us two photos in email yesterday.. Beautiful birds !!

It didn't seem to care that we were there. It kinda looked bored.

I have seen a couple before, sitting and flying, but my wife never did.

You have some talent !!!!! I have to let my wife see your photos, she'll go wild.. Thanks for posting them..

Very cool pictures Dave, as per usual...

I have never been lucky enough to lay eyeballs on a snowy owl, even on my trips to Alaska and northern Canada.

I've seen lots of great Horned owls and barred owls, along with screech owls, long eared owls , short eared owls and even a couple of great grey owls, but never a snowy.

Perhaps THIS winter I'll see one.

t barb.. I read the same thing so I spent more time looking for them at the beaches this year. A few weeks ago, in one day, some bird watchers saw 5. Of course, I wasn't there that day.

Snowys show up down here in winter at times, but the one that  I saw this week was my first sighting at the beach.

I saw one when I was duck hunting on a river once and flushed it when I beached my kayak. He gave me a great show for quite a while. I did see 1 more, but it was off in a tree.

I used to see great horned owls near the beach in the pines in winter, but haven't seen them in some time