Seems like everyone is getting out of NY

Elmo

As I see it there are two options open to retired folks in this state

1. Vote with your feet and leave (avoid high property taxes)
  1. Sell your real estate and rent a home. This will allow you to avoid high property taxes, but allows you to live in a state you are a custom to. 

I’ve already started to liquidate my rental property and will do the same with my residence in about 10 years when I retire.

I love this state, but can’t afford it any more and don't want to be made a criminal because I own firearms

Family roots is really the only thing that keeps me here. Nice state, but there are other equally nice states with oftentimes better hunting/fishing/recreation and career opportunities.

Yeah my kids are here and my wife and my families are here as well... I would love to go south but the wife would never go for being far from our boys... maybe we can get them to come along... :)

maybe when i relocated i should have went out of state... ehhh thought about it but i love NY. i know a lot of people say things about the state in general being very bad but coming up from LI things are way different, things are affordable and things are cheaper up here. there are some things more expensive here or the same as LI or city but for the most part its a better up here. obviously things like the safe act affects everyone in this state... maybe we should do something about it rather then leaving. if nothing is done one day these controlling liberals will make their way to every state and dominate. no sense in moving away from them when things get tough. 

great map BTW, thanks for sharing it

Family roots is really the only thing that keeps me here. Nice state, but there are other equally nice states with oftentimes better hunting/fishing/recreation and career opportunities.

That is about the only thing keeping me here along with some close friends. my in-laws moved out of here 7 yrs. ago and went to Alabama. They are thriving down there. My brother n law that you would have thought would've ended up in jail while he lived here, left Alabama and went to West Palm FL. and became a finance manager at a big car dealership. Kid is 24 and lives in a condo over looking the beach and just paid 52K for a Dodge Viper last week Cash! I'm sitting here like WTF am I doing? My in laws pretty much offered me the world to move down there because they want their Daughter and Granddaughter there. They own one of the biggest cleaning franchises in the Country and offered to buy me one if I made the move. I seriously question myself sometimes why I stay here and freeze my ass off remodeling homes for peanuts and pay out the ass in taxes.

isnt it funny how and why hunting is one of the deciding factors here for most when it comes to relocation and the possibility to a better life? pretty funny in the grad scheme of things...

no pun, as it was for me as well

• Like 1

I wonder if some of the reasons that NYS is in the shape that it is in might be because those that are bothered by the political climate here choose to cut and run. Sounds like we are giving up and actually being driven from our homes by these commies.

But if you find that you have to run, pick your final destination well because most of the states are not all that far behind us (especially here in the northeast). This could turn out to be simply a case of, "you can run but you can't hide".

I wonder if some of the reasons that NYS is in the shape that it is in might be because those that are bothered by the political climate here choose to cut and run. Sounds like we are giving up and actually being driven from our homes by these commies.

But if you find that you have to run, pick your final destination well because most of the states are not all that far behind us (especially here in the northeast). This could turn out to be simply a case of, "you can run but you can't hide".

i agree, thats pretty much what i was getting at a few posts ago... may have some truth behind it.

Hell , at my age ( 72 ) , i'll stick it out . Four of my kids live within 35 miles of me plus my four sisters live within 60 miles .

I'm pretty much in that same boat myself. This is where my family is and where it's been since 1831. I really don't belong anywhere else. And I'm certainly not going to be driven out by a bunch of commies.

Picking up and leaving is not as easy as some people make it out to be. I talk to so many retirees here in NYC and almost all of them gives you the same response. Their dream was to come to NYC, make the money, then retire to some place like Florida or something like that. But along the way, they met someone, got married, had kids, then grandkids, and now they can't imagine leaving them behind and only getting to see their grandkids once or twice a year.

Once or twice a year ? they'er retired ! My sisters son lives in Nashville,she sees him and the grand kids 5 or 6 times a year for a week,at a time ,then they come up,here a couple times a year and vacation together as well ,so what 9 ,10 weeks a year together.

The best thing is to,get your kids to,leave after college,which we encouraged ours to do the RN we're hoping will move when the boyfriend gets out of med school,the CPA when her. BF finishes law school.

We ll visit them often we ll,be retired ,most likely we ll move as well though.

I work with a guy who already MOVED to North Carolina,works in rochester .owns house down there wife and kids there 365 , he goes down once a month for 9 days till he retires and just stays there. He's the hero of the Dept. Got his wife and kids to move 800 miles away!!

As far as hunting I'll fly to Montana for a couple weeks shoot a big buck and fly back to 80 degrees .

Edited by Larry302

Its funny how people talk about how bad things are here in NY, I really have to question that thinking. I have lived on Long Island most of my life and have lived here in the Hudson Valley for the last 10 years or so, and in all honesty things are looking pretty good  in this state and a hellovalot better than many other states that business has dragged me to recently? On Long Island the neighborhoods and towns in Nassau and Suffolk counties are looking real good and home values are still thru the roof. Up here in Orange county I'm surrounded by beautiful farms and large classy homes with more than one brand new SUV parked in just about every driveway?  

When I travel north thru Ulster up into Greene and Delaware counties things are still looking pretty affluent. With the exception of places like Poughkeepsie, Newburgh and Middletown and other obvious dumps which I'm pretty sure most of the people on this forum don't live in I really have to wonder what everyone here is really talking about.

I don't look at the world thru rose colored glasses by any means but gotta wonder what kind of glasses a lot of people are looking thru?

And business, I have to believe from what I hear that most of you don't run businesses either. The small companies around here in Orange county are doing well. Even in the building trade contractors are still swamped with work, corporate and family eating establishments are packed and the malls and movie theaters still swarmed with people?  

If you own a small business in NY go south and see how you do, you might be in for a big costly surprise.

I suspect this mass migration out of NYS is really saying that things are not all that great financially in good old NYS. Yes it is a heck of a great place to live in terms of geography, diversity of nature, and in spite of our recent hard freeze-up, even the climate with all the interesting changes.

BUT .... the oppressive government and the politics of the place sucks, and I do believe that even though there are some people who are doing quite well, I have seen enough huge business shrink to nothing, and others that have moved out of the state and even out of the country with the bulk of their jobs, that I have a hard time believing that the current population exodus isn't fueled by lack of lucrative employment. I understand and even sympathize a bit with those that want to flee, or those that have to follow their jobs out of NYS. I'm just fortunate enough to be retired and not dependent on industry anymore, and just stubborn and ornery enough to resist being driven out of my home by a bunch of pinko commies. I'll just hang around and keep poking them in the eye and being a thorn in their side.....lol. 

NY is great if you can get past the..

High taxes

terrible politicians

restrictive gun laws

High taxes (yes that deserves a repeat)

A school system that buys I-pads and astro turf but fights giving special Ed to students in need.

Handout greedy losers

Tax on retirement

High Cost of living

Besides that it's GREAT!!! 

I'm out the first chance I get in the nest few years.

• Like 1

NY is great if you can get past the..

High taxes

terrible politicians

restrictive gun laws

High taxes (yes that deserves a repeat)

A school system that buys I-pads and astro turf but fights giving special Ed to students in need.

Handout greedy losers

Tax on retirement

High Cost of living

Besides that it's GREAT!!! 

I'm out the first chance I get in the nest few years.

Totally unrelated, but I believe the integration of iPads and other technology is actually a smart move. Teaching cursive writing and the like is not how the future will pan out.

I agree with all else whole-heartily.

Its funny how people talk about how bad things are here in NY, I really have to question that thinking. I have lived on Long Island most of my life and have lived here in the Hudson Valley for the last 10 years or so, and in all honesty things are looking pretty good  in this state and a hellovalot better than many other states that business has dragged me to recently? On Long Island the neighborhoods and towns in Nassau and Suffolk counties are looking real good and home values are still thru the roof. Up here in Orange county I'm surrounded by beautiful farms and large classy homes with more than one brand new SUV parked in just about every driveway?  

When I travel north thru Ulster up into Greene and Delaware counties things are still looking pretty affluent. With the exception of places like Poughkeepsie, Newburgh and Middletown and other obvious dumps which I'm pretty sure most of the people on this forum don't live in I really have to wonder what everyone here is really talking about.

I don't look at the world thru rose colored glasses by any means but gotta wonder what kind of glasses a lot of people are looking thru?

And business, I have to believe from what I hear that most of you don't run businesses either. The small companies around here in Orange county are doing well. Even in the building trade contractors are still swamped with work, corporate and family eating establishments are packed and the malls and movie theaters still swarmed with people?  

If you own a small business in NY go south and see how you do, you might be in for a big costly surprise.

sometimes its NOT all peachy as things seem to be. people could be leaving as business owners to go to another state and save half of what they would pay in NYS. i know some people who if you look at the way they live on LI saw their house you would say "hey they are doing all right" but truth be told they are living tighter then crap.

are a good amount doing ok? sure! are a good amount not? yes! so its a case to case basis. look at it this way, for the people who are leaving NYS doyou think they pack the famiyl and house and go hundreds and hundreds of miles away if their situation wasnt calling for it??? and trust me, some of these companies you think may be doing so good, unless your doing their booking you really wouldnt know their financial state. some companies are striving in this economy tho...

maybe when i relocated i should have went out of state... ehhh thought about it but i love NY. i know a lot of people say things about the state in general being very bad but coming up from LI things are way different, things are affordable and things are cheaper up here. there are some things more expensive here or the same as LI or city but for the most part its a better up here. obviously things like the safe act affects everyone in this state... maybe we should do something about it rather then leaving. if nothing is done one day these controlling liberals will make their way to every state and dominate. no sense in moving away from them when things get tough. 

great map BTW, thanks for sharing it

I don't think anyone is qualified to judge the state until they've lived elsewhere. When it's all you know, I believe you have no reference to claim good or bad.

just my .02

Ive lived in enough states and multiple countries...countries, not counties, to know upstate NY could be made much better simply by lawmakers and other govt employees. Mismanagement abounds and it goes from top to bottom and bottom to top.

This state is handcuffed like California.

• Like 1

Same here.Hope to retire in a few years and know that our money would last a lot longer if we lived in another state.

Took the family on a train trip out west 3 years ago and Idaho looks pretty nice.