wtf my daughters school telling her hunting is bad

silent death

I wasn't trying to stretch anything. It was truthfully a question. I am not overly concerned about the profession as a whole but, as in anything, there may be some that are over zealous. I do have concerns that there are not more defined guidelines guarding against this though. I think the perceived threats  should be more defined. And I would love to have a lawyer on this site that deals in this to answer if that type of information is protected under HIPPA or since it isn't medical if is free to disclose.

As I said earlier I left the section blank and didn't fill out the firearms question.

Culver

I didn't read the whole thread, but there are certain exceptions under HIPPA, including:  To report PHI to law enforcement when required by law to do so (45 CFR 164.512(f)(1)(i)).

This means that a covered entity (doctor) may report information required by law without violating HIPPA.  SAFE Act requires reporting when in the judgment of the provider, the individual is a harm to himself or others.  Thus, that provider does not violate HIPPA when complying with his/her obligations under the SAFE Act. 

Those incidents have been the excuse for all kinds of weird invasive changes. I'm beginning to think doctors should have badges if they are to be considered another branch of law enforcement. Perhaps the Hippocratic oath should be modified a bit to include some of the cop's oath.....lol.

Yes . You better use you smarts when the doctor says , " You have the right to remain silent , blah , blah , blah" !

Thanks. That actually goes back to my other comment then, in that I wish they had been more descript in what justified that. I hate the "in their judgment "part. As we all know Judgment and common sense is about as common as cheap gas lately.

I understand your point.  It supposed to be based on professional judgment, but in the end, just like judges considering an application for a protective order, do you want to be the one that failed to report and then something happens?  Causes the decision maker to error heavily on the side of reporting.

I understand your point.  It supposed to be based on professional judgment, but in the end, just like judges considering an application for a protective order, do you want to be the one that failed to report and then something happens?  Causes the decision maker to error heavily on the side of reporting.

I seem to recall  the un-Safe Act says they can not be held accountable criminally or civilly for not reporting

that's going to be the problem......everyone who is required to take any action as far as this is concerned is going to be afraid of not reporting and those in Law Enforcement will also make sure they err on the side of caution..........no one is going to want to stick their neck out when it comes to this new law, and with no shortage of frivolous lawsuits these days, who can really blame them.

I went in to the school and the teacher is a real animal

Lover she really didn't wanna here what I had to say

So I talked to the principal and the response I got was

That he will check into it . But he also said it was not something

That they are suppose to be. Teaching....I also called the school

Superintendent..the principal did say to me that it was wrong for

The teacher to do what she did ......Iam still waiting to

Here from the school super....I ain't letting this slide ....

take it as far as you can!

she should have respected what you were saying, its your child not hers. she has a curriculum to follow and telling kids hunting is bad aint on it! 

• Like 2

An excerpt from the article..

"The title X section of the law titled "strengthening Quality, Affordable Health care for all Americans" states that wellness and prevention programs implemented under the law may not require "the discloser or collection of any information relating to the presence or storage of a lawfully possessed firearm or ammunition" in someones home or "the lawfull use, possession, or storage of a firearm or ammunition". This prohibition extends to any data collection activity authorized under the law."

We're still on this?  There never was a mandate.  Bubba was mistaken.  That was the point I was trying to make.  I just didn't want people to assume that because Bubba is a healthcare practitioner, that his statements were accurate.  He was confusing his employer's policy with a mandate.  If a doctor's office is asking these questions, it is because it is their office policy, not a government mandate.

Holy geez, you are boring.  My posts on this thread are not my opinion.  They are fact.  I don't claim to be an expert on too many things.  But, this is a subject on which I do have professional expertise.  If the truth on this subject does not jive with your conspiracy illusions or Bubba's misperceptions, that's not my concern.  My concern was simply to avoid having people read this thread and form opinions based on misinformation.

I'm not able to copy and past.  But, if any of you would like to see the actual language in the ACA as it relates to the subject of gun-related questions being asked by doctors, google the following:

'Disclosure of information related to firearms'   or

'Affordable Care Act Title X, page 2037, line 23'  or

'PHS Act Section 2717c'

To summarize, the law does not require that these questions be asked.  Neither does it forbid them from being asked.

Again, this subject is not a matter of opinion.  I am a licensed healthcare provider in NYS and run multiple practices and therefore am required to follow the law- we do not ask any gun-related questions.

Really?  A half hour and no response?  Should I assume that all the wingnuts are suddenly too busy to google?  Or, did they actually finally read the sections in the ACA that discuss the 'gun-related questions' topic, and decide to simply move on without acknowledging what they learned?

The thread veered into the subject of doctor's offices asking questions related to whether or not patients had guns in the house.  Someone made the claim that the ACA mandates that doctors ask these questions.  I clarified that the ACA does not mandate any such thing.  The ACA states that healthcare practitioners are not required to ask these questions, but that they may ask them if they choose.  Has nothing to do with the SAFE act.  The HIPAA question was raised because the people that were claiming that the ACA required gun-related questions also claimed that this was a violation of HIPAA laws.  Again, the fact is that any doctor currently asking these questions is doing so purely because he or she chooses to, not because they are required.  If you want to see where the ACA states what I've been citing, I listed a couple of headings to google (I can't copy and paste on this site).