Wife/Gun Advice

Nowak8510

Ok, looking for advice on how to get my wife onboard with the idea of me purchasing a rifle and/or shotgun to use on hunts. She has no problem with having a bow in the house, but she is deadset on not having a gun in the house. Any thoughts on how I could get her on board?

take her to a range, let her shoot, buy a gun safe and let let her have the key code for it so you have to ask her for the weapon.

that way she can kill you but you cant kill her with it.

my wife is on board now

course im hooked on bows but she wants a shotgun

• Like 1

if she's deadset against it you might not have one in the house, especially if you've got kids and that's one of her major reasons....unless you buy it and store it at a close friend or relatives?? ....maybe after a period of time she would be OK. You could attempt to explain how you could get a lockable gun case, use trigger locks, gunlock through the action, as three locks on one gun. Any gun you buy new is coming with a gun lock, a trigger lock is an inexpensive purchase and a quality lockable gun case would start @ $150 on the low end to $400+ 

If there was anyway you could get her interested in hunting then possibly....whatever the main reason she is against it, if you could somehow try to get around that...maybe she's misinformed?....too hard to say....I pretty much gave up trying to figure women out...just keep them happy....lol

take her to shoot a 22 and let her enjoy the day,would be better if you can find a place outside where you can also enjoy just being out doors.A big part of hunting is just being outside.And the fact that you and her can do something together.

I also agree with taking her to the range/training.  A lot of people's fear of guns if due to the stigma that the media puts on them.  Once she is around them enough and feels comfortable knowing that they aren't these evil things she thinks they are, she'll feel more comfortable.

but seriously, what is the exact issue she has with guns? once you know that you can work on coming to an agreement on how to avoid what she's worried about.........second amendment probably won't work, I tried using my freedom of speech to say what I feel a few times at home and it didn't go well.

• Like 1

I think the gun range thing is the best idea if you can talk her into trying it. She just may get hooked. Another direction of attack would be to bombard her with mental images of home invasions, and robberies gone bad, and some of the twisted brains of the wacked-out druggies out there, and just generally trying to convince her that there is a need for effective home defense. If she is concerned about the dangers of being armed, you need to show her the dangers of being unarmed.

• Like 1

This past year I convinced my wife to get her hunting license and when she did I took her to Dicks Sporting Goods and she zeroed in on the only pink gun they had on the wall ! Its a nice Ruger .22 ! She's happy with it , maybe your wife would be also ?  It was a Christmas Gift (Notice the Christmas Story in the background ?)

post-1393-0-12375800-1393763390_thumb.jp

The biggest reason she is against guns in the house is that she is afraid of one of the children getting there hands on it, which I can understand. I am trying to pound home the idea of education and respect, if you are educated about guns and have respect for them they can be a vauable tool. I think she just watches to much news and sees all of these accidents with people and there guns. I try to explain to her that those are due to lack of repscet for the weapon or common sense on the part of the people, what do you guys think?

My wife grew up in a house with no guns. Her father didnt hunt or fish. I had been friends with my wife for about 15 years before we started dating(dam alcohol). We had one issue shortly before we got married when I went to leave for opening day of deer season and we were living together. I left and went hunting for the weekend. When I got home I told her. I LOVE to hunt, have done it since I was kid and was not going to stop. My wife is still not a "gun lover". But she knows I am responsible and am teaching our 11 year old son about gun responsibility. She had some issues with him shooting at first but is coming around since she knows he wants to hunt and between me,my brother, father and uncles he is learning how to do it safely and responsibly. It is not easy if your wife is not a gun person. My wife has accepted it because she either took me with the guns or she didnt get me. Lol. Seeing videos of my son at the gun club shooting clay pidgeons has peaked her curiosity a little bit to maybe want to try it. Will it happen, who knows. But if she wants to, I am game for it. It takes a lot if talking, explaining, etc. I still get asked everytime I come in the house from the woods if my gun is unloaded. But I always clean my guns and lock them up when done. They stay locked and my kids have no idea how to access them. Is my wife 100% happy to have guns in the home, probably not. But after being married for almost 16 years I dont have an issue having them in the house or when I want to go hunting or shooting anymore either. Having married someone who is not a "gun person" I know what your going through. It is not easy. My advice, be patient, educate and discuss. Good luck!!

• 2 weeks later...

The biggest reason she is against guns in the house is that she is afraid of one of the children getting there hands on it, which I can understand. I am trying to pound home the idea of education and respect, if you are educated about guns and have respect for them they can be a vauable tool. I think she just watches to much news and sees all of these accidents with people and there guns. I try to explain to her that those are due to lack of repscet for the weapon or common sense on the part of the people, what do you guys think?

So she is dead set against the kids growing up and driving a car as well? They won't be playing sports either?

• Like 1

What im doing is a build up kinda thing that worked for me. Teachin my five year ole how to shoot a bow. Put a bow in my two year olds hands for fun. Teachin them both how to act at a range and respect for weapons. All undrr the watchful eye of my wife. She even shot the kids bow around.

Explained to her about why i like to hunt and why my boys will do the same. She agreed. SHE brought up the idea of guns because she didnt want to be left out. Her isue was first that the kids might get it. Killed that with how fast i can shoot my recurve acuratly with a shot while straing her in the face. Explaining the kids will be better than me and its not the weapon but the fruitcake behind it.

Then she said what about some guy who killed his wife. We then sat down at the comp and pulled up morre strories about wives killing husbands with firearms then men. Told her honestly a man wouldnt use a weapon in the first place thats why we found more women. Then showed her the story bout a womab in GA wwho saved herself and kids. Threw in some bear attacks for flavor and let it soak in.

Eventually she came around after seein me hunting and spendin time with the boys.

Though while writtin this she called me to say she dropped the car keys in the sewer so sshe aint gettin a licece for a while. Woman waists more money than a lilbit