Grand Island Student Suspended for wearing NRA tee shirt.

hunter49

I read the article and the school response was a student cannot wear clothing that is "disruptive" or "promotes violence".  The shirt merely showed support for our second amendment.

If clothing cannot promote violence then they better have all students remove any clothing promoting football, as that is clearly advocating a VIOLENT sport.  May as well extend that to hockey, boxing, karate, wrestling.  What an insane country we are living in.

• Like 1

This is al just an extension of the liberal gun grab agenda. They are trying to make kids think that guns are so bad that the mere mention of them is enough to get a kid in trouble in school. There are countless stories of kids getting suspended for pointing their fingers, drawing guns, eating pop tarts into the shape of a gun…or a "7"…. or an "L"?? even for playing with toy guns AT HOME !!!. The teachers union needs to grow a set and stop this obvious nonsense. 

I wonder why no one ever takes these ridiculous situations to court. The kid is being deprived of his rightful educational time, and I would think that that sort of action would have to be a proven case of being disruptive or something that would incite criminal behavior. And there is nothing about the NRA that promotes those kinds of problems. I doubt there is a school district anywhere that could legally justify in court that kind of action if they were legally challenged. Eventually, this is going to happen to a wealthy family that can afford the legal action ..... I hope.

• Like 1

As a hunter whose profession is teaching, I hear some bizarre left wing crap often. Just recently a teacher brought up some concerns for a student because he was wearing a camouflage sweatshirt to school on a fairly regular basis. I foolishly asked what the problem is and was treated to a ridiculous rant about guns and school shootings.

Guess I'll be the first to say it sounds like the school took fair action to me.
Schools aren't the place for kids to advertise their personal affiliations when it comes to hot topic issues.
I doubt this kid was an evil threat to anybody, or had any violent intentions of his own towards any of his classmates or staff.
My point is, maybe the kid with the locker next to him has a very strong opposing opinion of the NRA, or guns in general, based on a tragic personal life experience or some other crazy crap.
Maybe this is the kid with the deeper psychological issues that schools don't want to see "trigger the violence".
I'd rather see them address it in this manner, rather than listen to excuses after another school tragedy that could have been avoided over something as silly as what was printed across another students t-shirt.

Kids shouldn't go to school dressed as billboards of current affairs....but hey, that's JMO!

• Like 1

I rather see a kid wearing an NRA t-shirt then some girl wearing those pants with bold letters across their bottom saying JUICY.

Those pants are inappropriate attire. Just makes more people look at their butt, cause distractions or unwanted advances.

If the school has an issue with the t-shirt, they should have given a warning for it first, not a suspension.  That is ridiculous. 

Might as well ban T-shirts from StarWars, Avatar, Lord of the Rings, Pirates of the Carribean, Hunger Games - there is fighting in those movies.  Maybe add ones supporting any bands with songs about teen angst, fighting, revolution, bullying, sex, etc.

Next thing will be disallowing Civil Air Patrol, JROTC, etc from wearing their uniform to school.  What about a scout that is part of a Venture Crew with the Police dept - that would be supporting guns - would they be banned from wearing a something associated the Police dept or their Venturing Crew?

The liberals need to get over this.  Unless the schools have a certain dress code (suits and ties, dresses/skirts) or school uniforms, they need to get back to normal reality.

The funny thing is some of these schools have an archery program for the girls Phys. Ed classes.  Last time I checked, a bow can be a weapon.  What hypocrites they are.

Crappy Ice,

I know a few kids who don't hunt and wear camo.  Some do fish and go camping.  Others are just "styling" in the camo (you know, Duck Dynasty).

Others are wearing to it show support for relatives in the service.  One of those kids I know has an uncle that is a Marine stationed in Afghanistan.

I don't know of any school shootings involving the assailant(s) wearing camo.  So not sure why that teacher is linking camo with school shootings.  The school science labs are more dangerous than a kid wearing camo sweatshirt (Bunsen burners, boiling water, mixing chemicals, burning magnesium, etc.)

The problem is, is that everyone is afraid of being the one who missed what they think is a "sign" that may lead to some perceived type of potentially violent behavior, and the result is these ridiculous knee jerk reactions......and make no mistake, we're going to see more and more of it coming from our schools and medical professionals who are afraid to take something for more than what it is......it's only going to get worse.

• Like 1

I think the media is the largest problem with the bs twisted versions of the truth behind a story.  Im afarid half the crap they come up with isnt a story unless it has there own twist to it.  I see and hear it daily and so do all of you.  Its a matter of realizing most often news and page filler bs is just that bs.  How does anyone know but the people involved first hand the actual truth behind this story? Do you know if he was warned, or if it was some other behavior that got him in trouble while he was wearing this tshirt and someone twisted the hell out of the truth.  Seems to me we all live in a very gullible society these days and read to far into the nonsense the media comes up with.  Just today I got emailed, texted and pm'd from several people that on the news and in the paper A co-op sugarhouse in the north country burnt down and was a total loss.  Yet the 15 year veteran sugamaker who was boiling put the arch fire out with his fire extinguishers he had in the sugarhouse.  It was a matter of rebricking the arch from tearing them out to get the fuel oil cleaned up.  Only thing that was lost was 300 gallons of sap.  Point is the media is off there rocker and I would guess 90% of what they spew is sewage and twisted versions of the truth.  You honestly think in this sue happy society we live in people would allow such things like this to happen so regularly?  I doubt it very much.  However I agree to an extent school isnt meant to be a walking billboard, my kids alone have been heckled for wearing anything but Nike shoes or heckled for wearing an Addidas t shirt.  I can very easily see regardless of my beliefs how one walking billboard add on a kid offends another.  I have nephews that have been sent home with a warning slip that the Budweiser Nascar shirt is against school policy.  Did this kid get sent home with a warning slip? Did he give it to his parents?  Did he or his parents boycott and send him back to school with it on?  Not much difference than my daughters work policy states no visible body piercing other than in your ear and limited to x amount and size.  Wear it and your warned wear it again and your written up wear it one more time and your fired.  She doesnt have those extra piercings but anyhow its a policy regardless.  Some are over the top some are not.  Play the game face the consequences.  What the hell happened to this country anyhow that took us down this path of stupidity, I put a good chunck of the blame on the media and the sewage they come up with.

I think the media is the largest problem with the bs twisted versions of the truth behind a story.  ..... Point is the media is off there rocker and I would guess 90% of what they spew is sewage and twisted versions of the truth.  You honestly think in this sue happy society we live in people would allow such things like this to happen so regularly?  I doubt it very much.  However I agree to an extent school isnt meant to be a walking billboard, my kids alone have been heckled for wearing anything but Nike shoes or heckled for wearing an Addidas t shirt.  I can very easily see regardless of my beliefs how one walking billboard add on a kid offends another.  I have nephews that have been sent home with a warning slip that the Budweiser Nascar shirt is against school policy.  Did this kid get sent home with a warning slip? Did he give it to his parents?  Did he or his parents boycott and send him back to school with it on?  Not much difference than my daughters work policy states no visible body piercing other than in your ear and limited to x amount and size.  Wear it and your warned wear it again and your written up wear it one more time and your fired.  She doesnt have those extra piercings but anyhow its a policy regardless.  Some are over the top some are not.  Play the game face the consequences.  What the hell happened to this country anyhow that took us down this path of stupidity, I put a good chunck of the blame on the media and the sewage they come up with.

We can imagine whatever we want about how the media has twisted the story, or prior warnings, or any other dreamt-up version of what went on. The imagination is a wonderful thing .... lol. But, actually there really is no point in discussing the incident at all if we are going to dream up our own scenarios.

Do I believe that the incident happened exactly as reported? Yeah, I sure do, and that is based strictly on the preponderance of similar goofy acts taken by schools all over this country on things related to guns. I have no reason to doubt that such a thing could happen, exactly in the way it was reported. The educational system is determined to imprint their values and attitudes regarding guns on every individual who passes through their system, and they don't particularly care what ridiculous and contemptible methods they use. They will not be happy until the word gun is stricken from the approved vocabulary of every student. And it is our tax dollars that support this foolishness. Frankly I am getting damned sick of it and I am getting damned sick of all the apologists for that system and their liberal leanings and influences on our youngsters.

• Like 1

Liberals have got themselves all kinds of nervous about everything... not just guns, but smoking, carbon emissions, bullying, global warming and on and on. They love seeing themselves as victims way before anything has happened. Now they want to pass that mentality on to our kids through the school system... it is definitely a sickness and one that has been detrimental to the fabric of society.

In the article i think it said he was asked before not to wear it and he chose to this time anyway. To me that point is irrelevant though. This should never have happened. He should not have had hi freedom trampled on like this. But I think that is the point this kid( and probably his parents) is trying to make. This was clearly a stab at guns. If the school truly wanted a policy as they said then there should be absolutely no writing or pictures or symbols allowed on any clothing. Including school sporting uniforms. As far as the school not being the place for him to wear this to spark this debate or a debate with another student? Isn't that a vital part of education? When did we earn the right not to be offended by anything?

Just make it mandatory to wear school uniforms...In catholic school, i wore dress pants, sport coat, dress shirt and tie every day in high school...ok..ok , the girls wearing their school uniforms got away with skirts above the knee a little, but not too much....better than the crap worn by the kids nowadays. Especially the tights or pants girls wear with the stuff written on the bottoms...what's up with that? World is nuts.

Liberals have got themselves all kinds of nervous about everything... not just guns, but smoking, carbon emissions, bullying, global warming and on and on. They love seeing themselves as victims way before anything has happened. Now they want to pass that mentality on to our kids through the school system... it is definitely a sickness and one that has been detrimental to the fabric of society.

Bingo. Its the victim mentality, and its been around for a long long time. Now days its been taken to a whole new level where people use the tactic to further any agenda they have. Hell, Ive seen it be used on this site about certain issues. It is a pretty easy thing for some people to slip into, thats for sure.

• 2 weeks later...

A local lawyer(James Thursman? who is also fighting the Safe act) is going after the school for violating the kids 1st. amend. right.  This is not the first time something like this has happened.  The "NRA news" on the Sportsmans channel has reported things like this every other day on the same stuff going on in schools across the country!  I beleive people on this site should watch this NRA news every day if you really want to know what is going on against our gun rights. Its crazy & there are days when it really sounds like We  are loosing!