Display license?

34NY

I need an Atty to understand the DEC website. Do you have to display your license on your back at all times or just have it on you?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Question: Will I get a ticket for carrying my license/tags in the holder on my back?
Answer:
 The Environmental Conservation Law requires hunters outside of the Northern Zone and the Catskill Park to display the numbered back tag in the middle of their back. Carrying your license or carcass tags in the back tag holder is not required and makes loss more likely. Licenses and carcass tags should be carried in a secure place like a pocket.

• 1 month later...

Has anybody ever heard an explanation as to why it makes sense to require the display of the back tag in the Southern Zone while it isn't required in the Northern Zone. It makes absolutely no sense to me at all, but I am curious how the DEC justifies the difference. Is it one of those politically inspired nonsensical regulations?

• Like 2

Only NY and Wisconsin have back tags at all. Some like to collect them,fathers have passed their number down to sons . That's cool and all,but that's about it.

I put mine on my pack,that way walking its displayed,in my stand it's also displayed as the pack hangs from the tree. With my back against the tree the tag would not be displayed but more important to me it does not rub agiast tree making noise ,or get caught in harness.

Only NY and Wisconsin have back tags at all. Some like to collect them,fathers have passed their number down to sons . That's cool and all,but that's about it.

I put mine on my pack,that way walking its displayed,in my stand it's also displayed as the pack hangs from the tree. With my back against the tree the tag would not be displayed but more important to me it does not rub agiast tree making noise ,or get caught in harness.

Mine goes on my backpack as well. I have all my back tags in there from every year. 

You can also have the clerk print a couple of extra back tags . I have one on my backpack and another one underneath on my shirt or jacket . I have never lost one . If I saw someone hunting without one I would ASSUME that he doesn't have a license .

Personally , I have never had a problem wearing a back tag .

I think as I recall doc that came from all the people from the north flocking to the southern zone to fill doe permits we could not get here. Plus from what I read here with all the violations and trespassing, it makes for a way to identify the crook.  Since there was a much bigger influx there, it was a way for the person to be identified  by another hunter.  personally I am glad I live in an area where I do not have to.  I get concerned thinking about how people get the numbers from a distance.  Scpope maybe.  Plus we hunters in t he north are honest trustworthy and everyone knows everyone

Usually keep mine in a breast pocket as I am on private property and I don't feel like ruining the back of whatever jacket or shirt I happen to be wearing at a given moment by sticking a great big pin through it.

Can't say I've ruined any shirt or jacket yet in my time in the woods with that big old pin. Then again, I like to comply.

• Like 1

Technically that is not being in 'compliance'. You risk a trip to Gitmo with that attitude.

Coffee hasn't kicked in. I should have said that NYS should come up with a new tag that can be worn around the neck and abandon the old back tag method. Coffee please...shaken, not stirred...

• Like 1

I usually have mine on my pack or in a pocket. Can't say I wear it on my actual back all that often. It is a horrible rule, I agree. I try to comply, but meh.

Murphy's Law taught me a lesson one year...I had the back tag and the license tags in the holder on my back. Lost it and never found it and it cost me a bundle to get individual tags printed out. Now I try to separate them if the holder goes on my pack.