Grain size for the 30-06

DirtyDan

As some of you know I purchased the savage 116 trophy hunter xp 30-06 the guy at the shop suggested 180 grain so did my friend but when I was shooting today at the range the guy told me to try the 150 said that's what he uses for deer now is it just a personal preference or is one better for deer hunting within 100 yards

Sounds like a plan, Queens..

If I had a 30-06 that I planned to hunt deer with and was not a handloader, I would buy a box of the cheapest 150 grain soft points that I could find...Remington Coreloct, Prvi Partisan, maybe Federal fusion...

Shoot a few groups and chances are you won't have to go any further.

• Like 1

I use 165. Before I reloaded I used Federal Premium and they held the Sierra Game king bullets. That 165 (Which I use now in my reloads) has taken deer out to 300 yards. 2 black bears by me and a 6x6 Elk and a moose in the NW Territories by a buddy of mine at about 200 yards. 165 shoots best out of my 700. If the 150's shot better I wouldn't hesitate using them in NY for anything here.  Heck I only use 130's in my 308

I shoot 150 grain, only bc my gun seems to "like that weight" a little better. I can clover 150's with my 06 on the bench, but 165 or 180 and i have a 4-5 inch grouping.  Id expiriment with a few different weights and see what works best and stick with it. A 150 grain bullet is more than enough for deer. If you need picture proof pm me

Where are you actually located. maybe a few members can hook you up with a few to try rather than buying a whole box.

Located in queens, was going to order ammo from cheaperthandirt.com but they don't send to NY which sucks. Any other websites that do or know of any place that has a decent price

midway USA

Natchez

Sportsmans guide.

First I heard they wouldn't ship here since the ammo check thing was put on hold.

Don't you have any place near you that sells it?  Walmart, Dick's. anything. Unless you can get free shipping a small order can make more sense to buy local.

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club
  • Like 1

I use 150 cor-lokts.  I think that out to 250- 300yds the plain Jane factory stuff is fine. Remington core Lokt, Winchester Power points, Federal Power shock……..All around $20 per box. I think the premium 50 bucks a box stuff may hold an advantage at longer ranges.

midway USA

Natchez

Sportsmans guide.

First I heard they wouldn't ship here since the ammo check thing was put on hold.

Don't you have any place near you that sells it? Walmart, Dick's. anything. Unless you can get free shipping a small order can make more sense to buy local.

Yeah definitely, just looking to find a website for more of a bargain when I find the right ammo