Live From The Woods 2023 Turkey Edition

WNYBuckHunter

My son and I are in the blind watching the woods wake up on his first Youth Turkey season! I picked up one of those 270 degree see through blinds, and sitting in this thing is pretty wild. Almost feels like we are sitting in the field in chairs out in the open. Haven’t heard any gobbling yet, but I’d bet they will start stirring soon. 

• Like 8

We had a fun morning. Kinda quiet early on, and then around 9 we had a gobbler sound off pretty close, but in the woods. For the next 45 mins we listened to and called to what sounded like 6 or 7 birds that were not far away, but they just would not come out of the woods. I tried everything with them. I would call and they would answer and we would go back and forth over and over. Then I tried the silent treatment and they just kept gobbling. We did catch some movement through the brush, and could see multiple birds back in there, but just couldn’t get them to break cover. Evan was shaking like a leaf the whole time! He’s definitely hooked. 

Tomorrow we are going to the same location, but will setup in the woods this time. 

BC87A41A-AC22-4E95-A78F-2BCFB8EAC0B0.jpeg

0DB8E3BE-C5A7-4E61-981E-3765E91995EE.jpeg

• Like 12

Day 2 of youth season. We decided to move back into the woods to see if we can get close enough to them. Heard some light gobbling just after first light again, same as yesterday. We shall see. 

Also, it looks like Evan takes after his sister in the sleeping in the woods category. 

C4A086C5-82D0-4E2A-B644-289CDC402807.jpeg

652CF415-45EE-4635-8E67-5FE0DEFE1441.jpeg

BC98EB72-6F4D-432A-BF70-5EC7278BD709.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Haha 3

21 minutes ago, mike103 said:

My nephew Chris guide his nephew to this monster on Saturday during the Long Island youth season. Used the 410 with #9 TSS

A47EDE6B-84A7-47E7-9CBF-749406490039.jpeg

602B7B56-9C0F-420C-9935-8B4C5D9C1FB1.jpeg

Long Island is going to set the NYS Turkey record, They haven't been really hunted in a long time

#1.   Don  Nickerson  NY.  May 1, 2007  Otsego. 29.5000

Edited by Danny

On 4/24/2023 at 11:45 AM, Danny said:

Long Island is going to set the NYS Turkey record, They haven't been really hunted in a long time

#1.   Don  Nickerson  NY.  May 1, 2007  Otsego. 29.5000

You ever see those birds at Calverton Cemetery? They are huge! Nice bird!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, fasteddie said:

It is forecasted to rain all week . How do the Turkeys react to this type of weather ? 

They will come out of the woods and hang in open areas when it rains hard, the noise of the rain and windy conditions work against their senses for spotting or hearing danger. Out in the open I believe they feel more comfortable.

Al

• Like 3

Evan and I are out today. Heard all kinds of gobbling first thing. Had some Tons sounding like they were headed our way and then silence. Haven’t heard a peep from either of the 2 flocks that were sounding off earlier. 

heard some shots in the distance about 15 mins ago. 

• Like 2

Way to go Charlie, congratulations.

I went out and poked around in the rain this morning, saw three Deer, One Squirrel and two Turkey hens, no Toms were seen or gobbling heard. Wore the new Frogg Togg suit and it kept me dry.:good:

Al

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Pouring rain when i got to the farm. Didn't want to get out of the truck. No gobbles from the roost so started sneaking and peaking. Heard a distant gobble and moved closer. Set my lone hen decoy out and called. He heard me and was coming. Turned out to be 4 two year old birds. Came right to me. First one that stands still was going to get it. And he did. Wasn't the big boys on the farm but I'll take a two year old every time. Very excellent hunt. Plenty of time to hunt for big boy.

20230501_080657.jpg

20230501_075123.jpg

• Like 16