Remington Plant Closure

hueyjazz

What can you say, sad indeed but I can not blame them for fleeing a state that not only sucks with their taxes on business, but a Democrat government basically against everything you manufacture and behind the scenes probably cheering.

At one time NY was the country's top state for firearms manufacturing.

Ithaca Gun

Lefever Arms

Baker Shotguns

LC Smith 

Utica Savage

On October 21, 2020, Kimber Arms management announced the corporate headquarters is being relocated to Troy Alabama

Now Remington, All Gone! :cry:

Al

Edited by airedale
  • Like 5

What a tragic story to see what NY has become over the course of my lifetime. Upstate New York citizens and their way of life is at the absolute mercy of Down State philosophy and policy. Driving Remington out of NY will celebrated with dancing in the streets by those who wish to destroy the right for citizens to keep and own firearms, without any concern for the lives of those who will be negatively impacted by it's closing.

When I was just a young guy, I was a State certified welder and pipe fitter. I worked on many of the boilers and HVAC systems in factories including Pettibone, Rome Cable, Revere Copper and Brass, and others,  many that eventually were left vacant shells when they were eventually closed and moved away. I even worked on the Remington boilers spending days with an air needle scaler removing rust getting things ready with our crew for an insurance inspection.

The impact of these closings over the past several decades is profound on these small communities and it's people, with their spirits left as broken as the factory windows over time. I know this both from personal and professional experience.

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

6 hours ago, Grouse said:

Anyone who cannot see how Democrat policies are the cause of this demise, is not capable of analytical thinking.

Without a doubt. Not only killing this state but the country as a whole. There has never been a more dangerous time across the country then now. People just hate each other and that comes from the struggle every person now has to just keep on keeping on. Sad!!!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bugsNbows said:

But the Dummycraps keep getting voted in. It’s a real shame. I moved out of NYS in 1976. Best decision I ever made.

Great timing to coincide with our country’s bicentennial! A declaration of freedom from tyranny! 

I believe divine providence led me back in time to help my family get through the war on Covid.  Which in my opinion was/is actually a war on our country that nobody will admit.

As much as I love the beauty of Upstate NY, because of the political corruption that has all but destroyed this state, it’s economy, and way of life, I doubt there  is anything other than my love for my family that could have driven me back to NY after I escaped.

• Sad 1

The chairman of the Herkimer County Legislature, Vincent Bono, told the Observer-Dispatch the loss of revenues to the entire community “will have concerning effects going forward for the progress of Ilion and Herkimer County.”

UMW International President Cecil E. Roberts called the closure announcement “disappointing” and the timing before the holidays “a slap in the face.”

“Workers in Ilion,” Roberts’ statement said, “enabled RemArms to rise from the ashes of Remington Arms bankruptcy in 2020-21. Without these workers…this company simply would not exist.”

That might be true. But Roberts ignores a political climate in New York that’s neither welcoming nor conducive to locating any firearms-related company there.

Republican legislators in the area were quick to point that out, releasing a statement that said:

“Unfortunately, like we have seen all too often in New York, burdensome regulations, crippling taxes and problematic energy and other policies continue to force businesses and companies to flee the state, taking jobs and livelihoods with them. We will continue to communicate with state and federal officials and work to help and assist the company’s employees and their families during this difficult times.”

Congresswoman Elise Stefanik (R-21) was somewhat more pointed in placing blame for the RemArms decision -and suggesting a remedy that will certainly irk most in the states political leadership. “It is because of New York Democrats’ unconstitutional gun grab policies that the oldest gun manufacturer in the country has been run out of the state,” Stefanik’s statement reads, “I have spoken with local officials and Remington Arms union members in the United Mine Workers of America, Local 717, about how we must stand up to New York’s failed unconstitutional gun bans.”

Politically speaking, Stefanik’s not wrong. But there are other considerations RemArms cited while describing the “challenges” to operating in Ilion. Those include everything from the need for excessive handling of product and materials due to the plant’s layers, expenses of running a steam plant -and paying the associated natural gas and utility costs- for almost a million square feet of space (much of which is unused), and high and unexpected costs for maintenance and insurance.

RemArms letter also mentions “an environment in Georgia that supports and welcomes the firearms industry.”

That points out the biggest fallacy in pro-manufacturing arguments in the states that form the manufacturing area of the east coast that was once described as “gun valley.”

Politicians and labor officials bemoan every potential loss of jobs and attendant tax revenues, but continue to pass legislation designed to punish those same companies. It’s a disconnect that has finally begun too-much for companies to ignore.

• Like 1

I spent over 40 years of my life running large industrial facilities.  I have operated turn of the century facilities like the operation that was located at Ilion.  They were built at a different time where light collecting was more important than heating and cooling wasn't even a consideration except to reject heat.  The costs to operate are extreme.   If they were really serious about staying in NY, they would have built a new facility.  However, expending that much capital in a State whose politics is bent on putting you out of business makes no sense.   The real asset they are losing is the talent and tribal knowledge that has been in the making for over 100 years.   And I doubt many of those people will move to Georgia.

Amazing the politics of this State.   Cashless bail  (How out of touch are you) 

Protect criminals but harass, punish and injure those that actually obey laws doesn't make sense to me.  Ask anyone that had their KIA stolen.  

Edited by hueyjazz
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

I guess if there is any good news from this is at least they are not going out of business.

New York government keeps pushing their gun agenda and ONLY VOTERS   will be able to slow it down. If they don't get out and vote when they should we will continue this downward trend. Lack of voter turnout will continue to be our demise.

Low voter turnout is the major reason for our current situation and gun laws.

The nation’s oldest gun-maker recently announced plans to shutter the factory in the company’s original home early next month, citing the steep cost of running the historic plant. Remington is consolidating its operations in Georgia, a state the company says is friendlier to the firearms industry.

This small New York village made guns for 200 years. What happens when Remington leaves? - WHEC.com

8 hours ago, Steve D said:

I guess if there is any good news from this is at least they are not going out of business.

New York government keeps pushing their gun agenda and ONLY VOTERS   will be able to slow it down. If they don't get out and vote when they should we will continue this downward trend. Lack of voter turnout will continue to be our demise.

Low voter turnout is the major reason for our current situation and gun laws.

The nation’s oldest gun-maker recently announced plans to shutter the factory in the company’s original home early next month, citing the steep cost of running the historic plant. Remington is consolidating its operations in Georgia, a state the company says is friendlier to the firearms industry.

This small New York village made guns for 200 years. What happens when Remington leaves? - WHEC.com

I don't really agree with the part I bolded. I mean I do that that voters will be the problem, but it's not that people aren't voting, it's the Libs outnumber the Republicans more or less. The big cities have more voters who vote left then the rest of the state has voters period. Add to that you have hunters who know damn well voting Democrat is a vote against guns yet do it anyway. A gun owner voting for politicians they know good and well are coming for our guns is a gun owner who is NOT PRO 2A!

• Like 3

14 hours ago, DirtTime said:

I don't really agree with the part I bolded. I mean I do that that voters will be the problem, but it's not that people aren't voting, it's the Libs outnumber the Republicans more or less. The big cities have more voters who vote left then the rest of the state has voters period. Add to that you have hunters who know damn well voting Democrat is a vote against guns yet do it anyway. A gun owner voting for politicians they know good and well are coming for our guns is a gun owner who is NOT PRO 2A!

I respect your opinion but there are approx. 13.1 million registered voters in NY State.

In the last governor's election, a total of 5,902,996 votes were cast which is approx.  45.41% of the total voting population. Hochul received 53% and Zeldin received 47% of the of the votes cast.

Against the total population of 13.1 million eligible voters Hochul won the election with 24.16% which means 75.8% of the voting population did not vote for her.

Given the fact that roughly 54.6 % of eligible voters did not vote I would say we have a problem with voter turnout.

2022 New York gubernatorial election - Wikipedia

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Steve D said:

I respect your opinion but there are approx. 13.1 million registered voters in NY State.

In the last governor's election, a total of 5,902,996 votes were cast which is approx.  45.41% of the total voting population. Hochul received 53% and Zeldin received 47% of the of the votes cast.

Against the total population of 13.1 million eligible voters Hochul won the election with 24.16% which means 75.8% of the voting population did not vote for her.

Given the fact that roughly 54.6 % of eligible voters did not vote I would say we have a problem with voter turnout.

This all validates my assertion that it is not the politicians NYS that are the problem. It is the voters who refuse to take the insignificant amount of time required to keep those gun-grabbing politicians from getting into office. We have the power in our own hands if only we take the time to use it. But it is so much easier to sit back and blame the NYS libs while we do nothing to offset their votes.

We have met the enemy, and he is us.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Doc said:

This all validates my assertion that it is not the politicians NYS that are the problem. It is the voters who refuse to take the insignificant amount of time required to keep those gun-grabbing politicians from getting into office. We have the power in our own hands if only we take the time to use it. But it is so much easier to sit back and blame the NYS libs while we do nothing to offset their votes.

We have met the enemy, and he is us.

You are correct Doc. I am not really a numbers guy and we all know figures lie and liars' figure.  

If the numbers are even close we are in sad shape. The claim is there is an estimated ADULT population of 15+ million in NY and only 3.1 million of those are registered to vote. Right around 20%.

It is also estimated there are 4.5 million gunowners in NY state. If the numbers are true that would be over a million gun owners that aren't registered and do not vote period. 

You can't help those that won't help themselves.

6 hours ago, Steve D said:

Right, but the sum as a whole on voters is still going to have more left leaners then right. This is what I try to explain to a lot of people because they get far to caught up in the number then looking at the reality of those who aren't casting a vote. Every voter could vote, but the results won't change. Now, if all the gun owners voted, and voted for the only side that's largely trying to preserve the Second Amendment, Republican, we would win hands down. But in NY, you will most likely never see that. I sincerely do understand and appreciate what you're saying. I'm just on a different road, numbers on paper don't do much, the reality of what people are saying and doing says far more then the printed word. When hunters and gun owners in general vote for the people they know are trying to take the guns away, you have the true problem of why the numbers are not now and never will be with the Pro 2A people. That's more factual then many people want to accept. I no longer look at hypotheticals with gun laws, only absolutes, because without a united front from all gun owners not a damn thing is ever going to change here or in any other Liberal sided state. The fact that the governor is still in office and a pile of makes no sense gun laws are still on the books after she gave the finger to a SCOTUS ruling shows exactly my point, is doesn't matter how many voters are there and if they all vote, this a New Liberal York and it won't change any time soon because as I keep stating we Pro A2 people are outnumbered plain and simple.

3 hours ago, DirtTime said:

I'm just on a different road, numbers on paper don't do much, the reality of what people are saying and doing says far more then the printed word. When hunters and gun owners in general vote for the people they know are trying to take the guns away, you have the true problem of why the numbers are not now and never will be with the Pro 2A people. That's more factual then many people want to accept. I no longer look at hypotheticals with gun laws, only absolutes, because without a united front from all gun owners not a damn thing is ever going to change here or in any other Liberal sided state. The fact that the governor is still in office and a pile of makes no sense gun laws are still on the books after she gave the finger to a SCOTUS ruling shows exactly my point, is doesn't matter how many voters are there and if they all vote, this a New Liberal York and it won't change any time soon because as I keep stating we Pro A2 people are outnumbered plain and simple.

Once again you make a good point.  If gunowners are voting these people in, then they/we deserve what we get but I believe the ones complaining the most are not voting.

Votes and voters could change the tide, but I guess we will never know for sure unless by some chance they turn out at the polls someday.

Until then I still tell everyone.....If you don't vote then don't complain. 

Next election, do a little personal poll by asking acquaintances if they voted or not. Be prepared for some of the most creative excuses that you have ever heard. That will give you a little idea of why we are where we are. 

• Like 1

On 2/13/2024 at 7:29 AM, Doc said:

Next election, do a little personal poll by asking acquaintances if they voted or not. Be prepared for some of the most creative excuses that you have ever heard. That will give you a little idea of why we are where we are. 

I started doing that a while back. It has cost me friends because I'm sick and tired of people voting to take my Constitutional Rights away while they are OK with murderers going free because of bail reform. When they expect me to be OK with the bad guys having more rights than I do, they can kick rocks.