ethics quetion did I do the right thing?

older042

tonight I had two fawns come in and could clearly see the smaller one had either a broken foot or leg. She was kind of dragging it not walking on hoof but bent it back and was walking on the top part of foot. She was super small and all I could think about was her getting mauled by coyotes so I took the shot and put her out of her misery. She only went 30 yrds and piled up lung heart shot with 2 blade rage. Her back leg was broke and about 3 inches of bone was sticking out.  Sucks to have to use up my tag for very little meat but still feel like I made the right call. Where do you stand on shooting deer with not hunting related injures?  

• Like 10

I took a doe a few years back that was limping. She was in a group of four does and she was struggling so I ended the suffering. She had a large bump on her left front hoof that swelled her leg up and it looked painful. I did the right thing back then and you did the right thing tonight. Not only are we hunters, we are human, so don't second guess yourself.

I had a tag thankfully. It would be awful to be during rifle season where no doe permits are even issued. Not sure what I would do in that situation. Of coarse you obey the law but the human in me would have a really hard time I guess it would be a judgment call to the situation at hand.  

You have maintained the moral and ethical high ground. Congrats to you, my friend.

I would ( and indeed HAVE) do the same thing. I never do anything illegal or unethical.

My evil TWIN on the other hand, might have put the critter out of it's misery and saved his tag, reasoning that he was doing it a favor, and, after all, scavengers have to eat too.

BAD twin..... NAUGHTY twin..!!..

I have to go now...The VOICES are calling me again..

• Like 1

Good job . I only had to do that once when a fawn was taking forever to cross a field . I could see with the binos that her leg was messed up . I put her down , used a tag and called the DEC in Avon . I was told that if the meat was damaged , they would give me a replacement tag .

A couple years ago a friend who doesn't let anyone hunt his property , called and asked me to put down a doe that he came across and was laying in his wooded area bleeding out . I shot her and tagged her as I had one to spare . Brought her home and skinned her . There was a grayish - white liquid running through the meat . I threw the whole deer in the garbage tote . I think the liquid was the breakdown of the fat in the deer's body .

You did the right thing. The first deer I got was a doe that I literally walked up on opening day of gun when I was 16. She was laying on the edge of a thicket, bleating and moving her legs back and forth trying to get up. I was close enough to reach out and touch and she couldn't get up to run away, a weird feeling comes into your stomach at that point. The leaves and dirt had been completely cleared out from around where she was laying. I ended her suffering and used the tag. When skinning it we found an arrow lodged in her front left shoulder. Meat was all green with infection. I got another tag but even if I didn't get a replacement I can look back almost 30 years later and feel good I made a good decision. Not the way any of us want to put meat on the table but the sportsman in you made a great decision!!!

Edited by boo711
  • Like 1

Well Done

That way the right play today a lot of hunters are so focused on antlers & most would probably let it walk.

That was a TRUE sportsman move right there congrats!

Don't know if it will help you or not but we hunt NY for only one week in 8N leaving a week from tomorrow

we usually have a few DMP's left. If we have any left you are welcome to them up to the legal (2)

Edited by gfdeputy2

So the unfeeling, cruel and heartless hunter card that the anti's are constantly playing got trumped by you. Good for you. A clear demonstration that often the hunter's bullet or arrow is the least unkind ending for wild critters.

No guarantees, but the most likely scenario would been that the deer would have died a slow lingering death of disease, starvation, or being eaten alive, a piece at a time. I think it was lucky to have encountered someone who was kind enough to do the right thing.

Oh, and by the way, like someone already has said, even if the fawn had been perfectly ok, if you had decided to take it, there would have been nothing wrong with that either.

I would have done the same thing it's the right thing to do.

Good job. As hunters, most of us are also good human beings and are concerned about the outdoors, the animals and conservation, and this is a perfect example of all of those things wrapped into one. It needed to be done, and who knows how much more she would have went in this condition suffering.