Shooting more than one buck

upstatehunter

Look up some of the bigger bucks poached in states like Ohio or IL, or Iowa, or Kansas.

Shoot a whopper...enjoy that $30,000 fine....$30,000......kind of hard to not pay the government. Garnish wages, eat up tax returns. It hits the wallet hard and gets press.

They won't have the money to pay. Many poachers around here don't have payroll jobs. What do you do, lock them up? What's to keep them from doing it over and over? Confiscating their guns might help. While we are at it, why don't we start confiscating the ATVs of any found trespassing on the Forest Preserve?

They won't have the money to pay. Many poachers around here don't have payroll jobs. What do you do, lock them up? What's to keep them from doing it over and over? Confiscating their guns might help. While we are at it, why don't we start confiscating the ATVs of any found trespassing on the Forest Preserve?

I think that is a myth. People think poachers are always financially deprived or down in the socio-economic class; that's based on informal observation. Plenty of average and above average people make poor decisions everyday. I won't explain how I know other than to say I work for a giant company that has insight and data to this.

You are letting the tail wag this dog with this thought process.

Government garnishments follow people around.

• Like 1

I would like to see a situation where you must fill a dmp prior to being granted a buck tag. I think it would greatly help with the herd management that the tags and license are truly intended for.

But a large section of the state doesn't have doe permits and many WMU's are very limited. I would like to see all doe take to be handled with the foe permit process. Do away with the special season tags all together. One buck tag and draw for the doe permits in the areas you want.

• Like 1

I would be in favor of a sliding fine scale similar to what Midwestern states like Illinois have. A base fine for illegally killing a deer and then additional $ for different levels of rack score. In addition- the fines would be applied the same way to ANY illegally killed deer, whether it be spotlighting or simply shooting a buck you don't have a tag for...

agreed--------  The violations are not enough to keep repeat offenders from doing it over and over............

People using other peoples tag do not bother me so much but poaching has to be stopped or the fines made so ridiculously high.  Problem is it is very hard to catch people doing it.  The only people that get caught doing it for most part are fools pulling off a bust highway to shoot a buck in a field 400yds away.  They can not help themselves...........

A buddy of mine has property in oswego and the guy that watches it built a deer pen and baits it and some how the deer get trapped in.  He uses it year round to feed his family.  This stuff goes on alot more than you would think....... 

Edited by WNYBuckHunter
edited for language

But a large section of the state doesn't have doe permits and many WMU's are very limited. I would like to see all doe take to be handled with the foe permit process. Do away with the special season tags all together. One buck tag and draw for the doe permits in the areas you want.

Been thinking it for a long time. I can shoot three doe anywhere without drawing antlerless tag. Thats just crazy deer management.

Back when I was young we used to have my Grandfather and great uncle get their licenses. But we only used them to apply for a doe tag. It was 3 on a permit them and with my Father, uncle, cousin and myself we could only apply for one because there were 4 of us. With their licenses on the application we had 6 so we could submit for 2 doe permits. Still legal for us to fill the permits if we got them because we where on the permits. I think that was done a lot back then because they were so though to get. and the licenses weren't as expensive. (Theirs was free I think because of their age).

garnish wages. it might take you a long time but you pay. Don't let income level fool you. Plenty of white collar and even "celebrity" deer hunters have been caught poaching.

Buttt... I think some of us would be hard pressed not to knock down a mounter buck after wasting your own tag on a four point. That's why you pass on the little ones!! you never know! Or even if you shot a big one and saw an even bigger one! Make a dis-honest man out of a few of us I think.

I was going to say this but since you did I'll let you take the heat.

How dare you!! A law is a law.

what I'd like to see ideally?......

I'd like to see 15" outside spread (or antler width) and minimum 3 points on BOTH sides.  2 bucks person is fine to be used any time during the season with legal weapon and privilege for that respective season.  Same as it is now you'd only get your 2nd buck tag if you buy another privilege other than just your big game license.  also you have to check a deer (buck or doe) in.  there you have to weigh it and put down basic info in a sign-in book similar to voter sign-in book and then you get your carcass tag.  Any antlerless only tag can be transferred to another hunter.  hunter can fill maximum of 2 of each type of tag.  everything else stays the same.

This would allow successful hunters to spread the wealth easier to the average Joe (buying just a regular season buck tag), make doe harvesting easier but still controlled.  DEC gets more accurate harvest data, opposed to relying on the honor system of phone reporting after you tag a buck.  Also the antler restriction would protect almost all 1.5 year olds and a few 2 year olds which is sound deer management that'll improve health and hunting experience.

....trust me when I say the above isn't just based on my own pondering alone.

what I'd like to see ideally?......

I'd like to see 15" outside spread (or antler width) and minimum 3 points on BOTH sides.  2 bucks person is fine to be used any time during the season with legal weapon and privilege for that respective season.  Same as it is now you'd only get your 2nd buck tag if you buy another privilege other than just your big game license.  also you have to check a deer (buck or doe) in.  there you have to weigh it and put down basic info in a sign-in book similar to voter sign-in book and then you get your carcass tag.  Any antlerless only tag can be transferred to another hunter.  hunter can fill maximum of 2 of each type of tag.  everything else stays the same.

This would allow successful hunters to spread the wealth easier to the average Joe (buying just a regular season buck tag), make doe harvesting easier but still controlled.  DEC gets more accurate harvest data, opposed to relying on the honor system of phone reporting after you tag a buck.  Also the antler restriction would protect almost all 1.5 year olds and a few 2 year olds which is sound deer management that'll improve health and hunting experience.

....trust me when I say the above isn't just based on my own pondering alone.

So do we raise the Resident licenses to about $500-600 each to cover all the manning of the check in stations?

People using other peoples tag do not bother me so much but poaching has to be stopped or the fines made so ridiculously high.  Problem is it is very hard to catch people doing it.  The only people that get caught doing it for most part are fools pulling off a bust highway to shoot a buck in a field 400yds away.  They can not help themselves...........

A buddy of mine has property in oswego and the guy that watches it built a deer pen and baits it and some how the deer get trapped in.  He uses it year round to feed his family.  This stuff goes on alot more than you would think.......

Using another persons tag is poaching!

Agree - but I would like to see a one buck limit per year.

I could get behind something like that. I think the end result would be a lot more voluntary antler restrictions where hunters would try very hard to make that one buck a good one. No, not everyone, but a lot more than the way things are today.

• Like 1