Why do you do it?

Doc

Just being out there and NOT in the office, fresh air, nature, primal instincts, organic food on the table, you name it....we have been removed so far from the nature its ridiculous.... I think when I retire I will live in the woods, seriously I would love that...

• Like 1

"Primal" is right. I think it's genetic. We evolved to hunt; hunting as groups; family/clan groups; hunting with dogs; hunting to eat; hunting for clothing and shelter. 

I think that what makes it so hard to explain to the non-hunter is that it is so hard to articulate.

Thanks Mike for sending the link to that great article. For those who didn't read it, below you will find the last paragraph. Twice on this forum people have suggested I am not a hunter because I love and respect wildlife. I have killed more deer than the average age of readers on this forum yet I am questioned because I do not fit some people's stereotype. I am what the article refers to as a "nature hunter".

...“in order to assure the future of hunting, we don’t need more hunters; we need better hunters.” We do not need a Homo sapiens equivalent of domestic housecats torturing their prey for amusement. We need “nature hunters,” as described by Kellert, who regard their prey with affection and respect and consider how both the prey and the hunters themselves fit into their environment. An easy first step centers on self-identity in the same spirit that Grinnell and Roosevelt showed when redefining hunters to save hunting at the turn of the nineteenth century. By redefining hunting within an ethical framework we may begin to satisfy public concerns about hunting, but, more importantly, we can revitalize the hunting experience. We successfully restored the populations of game animals. Now, more than ever, we need to restore hunters and the meaning of hunting. I will begin by redefining what type of hunter I am. I am a “nature hunter” and this helps make me human.

Edited by Curmudgeon

I was raised in a hunting family. There is no single reason I hunt.

In no particular order:

Time with nature

Challenge

Thrill and Rush

Peace and time alone (and away from it all)

Natural good tasting organic food

sense of accomplishment

Time with family and a bond between my father and hopefully someday my sons

Got into my veins along time ago. Theirs another thread on starting the youth out at an early age that nails it for me. I went out hunting pheasant, rabbit, woodcock, and coon with my relatives back in the 60's. It"s apart of who I am and what I stand for. I stand tall and proud to say I'm a hunter. Way beyond the veins today, it's in my blood!

• Like 1

a few things

1- love the feeling of being outdoors. There's something about watching the woods wake up that I can't explain to a non-hunter

2-the meat. I love venison and small game as well. If I could not buy anymore beef or pork id be happy. Believe me I like those meats as well but I don't trust what farmers are pumping into these animals. If I could bet what the main reason for the cancer epidemic in this country is attributed to, I'd say it's what we eat. I haven't seen any Whitetails on steroids yet.

3- the adrenaline rush I get when I hear that twig snap, see a deer coming through before I could see if it's a buck or doe, or when you just see a deer appear out of nowhere is something I haven't been able to find anywhere else. I'm guessing that it's something you have to love from a young age. Hopefully I can pass it down to my kid(s)

4- Challenge. I usually fill the freezer but even if you give me a bazooka, the deers survival senses are so good that I'm always the underdog.

This just kind of came to me. So here it is.

Why I hunt.

Early alarm clock, out of warm bed to brew a cup of hot jo.

Put on my camo and boots then head out the door.

Out to the woods with crunchy leaves on the floor.

I'm thinking where will they be and where should I go.

Stars in the sky a nip in the air.

Woods waking up, crows and jays calling.

By the end of the day perhaps some snow falling.

Deer in the thick stuff, snow will show where.

Slowly and quietly sneak into my stand.

Got the wind in my face, a squirrel chatters overhead.

I just hope that a deer will get out of it's bed.

Just then there is movement,a buck with antlers so grand.

Watching as he looks all around and puts his nose in the air.

He makes his way ever closer, my heart beats like a drum.

I get ready to shoot, the moment of truth has come.

Pick a spot, release my arrow, the hunt ends and it's fair.

With a mix of gladness and sadness I hold my prize.

I'll have meat for my table, a rack on the wall.

Deep down in my soul I hear the hunters call.

To be back in the forest on the next fall sunrise.

• Like 1

This is a great question and all the above are great answers...

Let's see, first and foremost " I don't know".  I can't explain why I love it so much...  Obviously, the time I spend with my Brother and Dad is incredible, time away from the everyday struggle and craze of life, time to truly be alone and think through life's questions.  Am I being a good Father, Son, Brother, Husband and so forth? 

Also, I do enjoy the meat, the competiveness, the work involved.  To quote Tom Hanks, "It's supposed to be hard.  If it were easy, everyone would do it."

Finally, I really believe it's built in us humans to be successful, especially Males.  For lack of better words, I think it's testosterone and are determination to "provide", even though today it isn't necessary for most of us.  I would sincerely and genuinely love for the ladies to respond to this question....

Not to sound cliché or too deep but it has made me a better person.  I've learned how to be more patient, I've learned there are times to be soft and gentle but that there are also times when severe and harsh actions will be necessary.  It illustrates true meaning of life and how to respect it.  Most anti-hunters would never understand this and come to think of it, that's probably why I don't personally know any.

• Like 2

Me personally there is something that just seem so primal and natural. I love the idea of eating what I personally caught and brought to the table. It feels like what a man should be doing. I look at things today and too many things that men did as second nature are gone... like carrying a knife for daily use (not for protection), wearing a wrist watch, and being a part of the outdoors.

Man after my own heart. Here is my watch and knife of the day, sterile pilots watch on a 5 buckle Zulu and a Case Trapper.

post-253-0-81883200-1418690373_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Words don't cover it.

I sat here wrecking my brain trying to figure out how to put it to words and I couldn't come up with anything that didn't sound too damn corny.

Then I was at a loss when I looked through all my pictures as well and still couldn't find the words, but I knew the simple answer was right in front of me.

I don't think you could have said it any better than you did right there!

Perfect!

• Like 1

"Primal" is right. I think it's genetic. We evolved to hunt; hunting as groups; family/clan groups; hunting with dogs; hunting to eat; hunting for clothing and shelter. 

I think that what makes it so hard to explain to the non-hunter is that it is so hard to articulate.

Here is why the question is so interesting, and yet so hard to put into words.

It has all been bred into us. It is our natural state. We are predators. The results of evolution have put those traits into our species. Yes, most people have learned to suppress their natural instincts, but still it comes out in sports and all forms of competition. Others struggle with their nature as predators believing it to be a defect and they spend their entire lives trying to pretend they are something they are not. But we hunters take a more honest approach to life and do not deny our obvious products of our evolution or pretend there is something evil in predation that is part of humanity.

• Like 1

This is like asking someone why they like life. A true hunter can't really explain why they love it. I have never considered hunting a "sport", It's a part of who I am. There's just no simple answer to this question. Many of us would need a book to explain it.

Edited by JustRob
  • Like 2

Great thread and responses. For me it started with the tradition with family where I discovered the primal predatory instinct inside of me. That instinct is still there for me and the excitement and anticipation is as strong today as it was 42 years ago when I was finally allowed to accompany dad deer hunting. I have passed on the hunting and fishing tradition and my love of the outdoors to my kids. My son and one of my daughters like to hunt but don't seem to have the primal instinct gene. Nevertheless, I enjoy every second I spend with them outdoors no matter what we're doing. When my kids, myself and my dad hunt and fish together, it is truly special. To sum it up, it is tradition, instinct, challenge, and comeradery that does it for me.

You guys discuss this kind of crap too much. "Why?" is a question that humankind has sought to answer in nearly everything. I get that.

Instead of thinking about why I hunt...I'm thinking about which bucks made it through the season and what's the strategy to get them next fall? I'm looking at maps. I'm thinking, maybe an Ohio trip is in order for a late season bowhunt? I'm thinking I might need some new rain gear this off-season.

Ain't nobody got no time for thinking about why I hunt.

Edited by phade

Unfortunately, some of us have way too much time to think about why?

Other than zen-like desires, thinking about why rationalizations are what they are....there's nothing good that can come out of trying to determine why we hunt. It's unproductive. I want a return on my time. I already know I hunt and I like it; therefore i put my time toward making me happy.

Think about if we were to change the topic to "sex." And, please understand me that I am trying to keep this PC, but it is a relative example. Thinking about why I like it is way less productive than putting my efforts into going to the bars to pick up chicks, or working out to reel 'em in, etc. (example as I am married)

Edited by phade

Hunting was a family tradition that I am trying to pass on.

Grew up hunting on grandparents farm with dad, uncle, grandfather, and my dad's cousins and uncles'.

Never was a rich family, so hunting provided additional food, and occasionally the meat for the winter.

It also was about family camaraderie. Telling stories and playing cards afterwards in the evening.

It gives me a peaceful break from the office - limited cell service so I do get to escape from the job for a few hours (no emails hit the phone until back at my vehicle, or conveniently "forgot" the office cell on the seat)

It calms me down (lowers blood pressure) and reduces my stress levels.

I get to enjoy nature and watch as the woods wakes up and animals play and search for food.

The thrill of the hunt, rush of seeing that deer or turkey...

My wife says I am more relaxed at home after a day or two hunting.  Happy wife makes things better...

And of course, enjoy eating a tasty animal I spent time finding, "harvesting", and cleaning.

You guys discuss this kind of crap too much. "Why?" is a question that humankind has sought to answer in nearly everything. I get that.

Instead of thinking about why I hunt...I'm thinking about which bucks made it through the season and what's the strategy to get them next fall? I'm looking at maps. I'm thinking, maybe an Ohio trip is in order for a late season bowhunt? I'm thinking I might need some new rain gear this off-season.

Ain't nobody got no time for thinking about why I hunt.

I'm sure there is plenty of time during your many 8-9 hour sits in the woods throughout the year... you'd have to be numb from the neck up not to give it some thought when you're in the midst of it all... and I'm thinking you still have some feeling up there.. you're still young!

• Like 1

I'm sure there is plenty of time during your many 8-9 hour sits in the woods throughout the year... you'd have to be numb from the neck up not to give it some thought when you're in the midst of it all... and I'm thinking you still have some feeling up there.. you're still young!

Actually when I'm not focused on the act of hunting I'm usually thinking about work or home life. At one point i hired an employee from the stand last month. Idle mind usually leads me to not staying on stand or in the woods. Edited by phade
  • Like 1

Actually when I'm not focused on hunting I'm usually thinking about work or home life. At one point i hired an employee from the stand last month. Idle mind usually leads me to not staying on stand or in the woods.

Thinking about work???? Maybe you are more numb than I thought... that's insane buddy!! The stand is suppose to get you away from that stuff... us older guys need to have a long talk with you.. young man..:)

• Like 3

Phade, I know what you mean about pressing ahead or get left behind. It is how things are these days in all aspects of business.

To clear my head, I need time to totally disconnect and re-focus. That means not being bothered by the office at all, hunting gets me disconnected for a day or two in order to do that.

Some days I have to be super-focused on one thing and not seem to make any headway, or have 8-10 different things bouncing through my head to take care and can't completely focus on any of them as I have various people keep having me shift gears.  Some times it gets like this for a few days or weeks at the office. 

The break clears the head and re-focuses the energy to get everything running smoothly again. You need a time out to avoid having a burn-out at the office, and from bringing the stress home everyday to the family.

Mulling over a few things related to work while hunting is not bad unless that is all you are doing while hunting.  Then you might as well be at the office instead of hunting.

Nah. Just symptomatic of today's reality. Press ahead or be left behind. I have 60 to 65 employees in my structure and a cost center of several million. Getting away is only had when leaving the country or cell phone range.

Glad my reality is not the same as yours... I have always made time to get away from my business.. life is too short my friend... gotta stop and smell the roses or smoke a good cigar with a Manhatten.. Some of my best decisions and ideas have been made sittin' around thinkin' about nothin'. :smoke:  

• Like 1

I have been reading these and trying to figure out just how to put it....there really is no way to explain it either it's in you or not...i don't hunt to kill things altho that has its bennifits as for filling the freezer or population control. But I live for Family, outdoors and motorcycles. That's what I work 40-60 hours a week for. When I get up at 5 to hit the stand and watch the sun come up and the birds start chirping and the woods get active it gets the blood pumping with or without target animals present. I have spent many many days in woods with friends and my dad and uncle and soon my son will join. It's a art it's a passion it's a skill to find what your looking for in either hunting or fishing or trapping. Pics will last a lifetime so please remember to take pics

post-4901-14188641148111_thumb.jpg

post-4901-14188641357188_thumb.jpg

post-4901-14188641525509_thumb.jpg

post-4901-14188641740244_thumb.jpg

post-4901-1418864192839_thumb.jpg

post-4901-14188642128755_thumb.jpg

post-4901-14188642365608_thumb.jpeg

post-4901-14188642426726_thumb.jpeg

post-4901-14188642489022_thumb.jpeg

post-4901-14188642558305_thumb.jpeg

post-4901-14188642607541_thumb.jpeg

• Like 2