How many days do you hunt during deer season? How far do you travel to hunt?

Dave

I have to be at 25+day that were dedicated to deer hunting. Add to that numerous sits during the evenings after work, until the clocks were changed. I travel about 3 hours one way when hunting up in NZ. SZ Camp is about 2-1/2 hours. I have properties around home that are anywhere from a 300 yard walk to a 45 minute drive.

Unfortunately, I only hunted about 12 days this year.  I travel about 120 to 135 miles each direction, depending on which place I am hunting. July through the end of November is my busiest time of year, so getting away for more than a day or two at a time is next to impossible.

In NY I hunted 3 areas. 1 was was a 4 minutes walk out my back door. The other was the house I grew up in and a 7 minute drive and then a 5-20 min hike. The other was a 90 minute drive to where we stayed with a 20 minute drive to the spot and 15 minute hike. Having a place close by helped with weekday hunts for sure.

Now I have to drive 25 minutes to public land with another 30 min or so hike. Certainly stops me from hunting on days I'd like to.

I hunt at least twice on the weekends and probably 5 or so days during the weekday during the rut. It's a long season and I'd say I put in my time.

Edited by Belo

How many days did you hunt during deer season?

A pile of them. I don't really keep track, but I didn't miss a lot of them other than when the weather was stupid, or I had appointments.

How many miles did you have to travel to hunt?

On the highway? ........ None

I'm pretty fortunate, I was able to hunt about 40-50 days this year.  Way more than in the years passed.  We have a farm with ~100 acres so I don't have to travel.  We also have a camp in the northern zone with ~600 acres that is about an hour away.  I only make it up there a few times a year.  

It didn't feel like it but I was in the woods on more than 30 days this year with weapon in hand after deer.

Drove around a fair amount to properties, but all within an hour or so tops.

Used to be much more money and time when I would hunt Ohio regularly.

How far am I willing to travel to hunt?

Round trip for a 2 week hunt in May.....roughly 17,300 miles.....about 36 hrs traveling door to door, a bit quicker by a few hrs on the way home. LOL

How far for a deer?

Hunted one place several times thats about 80 mi. round trip, plus half days within walking distance for someone in decent shape.

19 days total, 7 in northern zone (240 mi drive) over (2) long weekends. Got a nice, old, heavy 8 point up there to fill gun tag. 12 days at home in Southern zone and at my parents farm 15 miles from home. Filled archery tag at home with crossbow on a young but tastey 6 point on Veteran's day. I saw very few deer this year but was fortunately able to capitalize on two of them. Not a single doe or fawn was within range of me from the beginning of crossbow season. In my opinion, the heavy acorn crop across the state this year is THE reason why so many saw so few in the daylight hours this season.

32 miles each way. 14 bow hunts about the same gun and ML. We were thinking of moving to my hunting area, but I'm retiring in 2 1/2 years and a warm state with no state income tax sounds better.

Heck I can fly out and hunt the best states in the U.S. For less then the tax on most NY camps!