Older Than Dirt Quiz

Doc

Our telephone did not have numbers to dial.

You just picked up the reciever and the operator would say " Number Please".. Our number was 242-M1.. My "first love's" number was 416-J..

We were on a party line for years..Our ring was one long. The old biddies in the neighborhood spent lots of time listening in to thier neighbor's conversations.

Four longs and three shorts.

• Like 1

A few years back my nephew wanted to use the phone, so my wife pointed to the old dial type phone. We still keep one in the living room. I still laugh when I think of the way he just stood there trying to figure out where the buttons were.

• Like 4

Sure thing TwoTrack. I spent a lot of my youth working on my grandfather's farm with a crank-start Farmall 'A'.

The real beast was the John Deere (model 'B' I think, with the tricycle wheel configuration). Open the two compression relief valves and spin the flywheel to start. I remember that being a lot of work for a skinny little 12 year old kid who probably weighed less than the flywheel.

ETA: Come to think of it, most of my memories from the list came from being with my grandparents. Including being toilet trained in an outhouse.

Edited by philoshop

I guess I'm older than dirt.. I remember all but I don't think I had any 78's, not sure about the news reels but we only went to the drive in for movies in the station wagon,  mom and dad and all my brothers and sisters! there was 10 of us! pea shooters were just blow guns? Did any one have your gutters collect in the cistern for water? we didn't have a well so when it was a dry summer we had to have water delivered and fill the cistern. But we had indoor plumbing!

Thank's Doc I remember these time.I still use a rotary phone and the hi fi and all the great sound's I still use most of these mentioned.I am not as old as some but older than others and would trade today anytime to go back!Oh- 9

I remember them all...

Our outhouse only had two holes...One bigger than the other. Perhaps it wasn't "state of the art"...

I assume that the purpose for three holes was so that the PILE didn't get too big under any given hole.

Ours only had 1 hole. I guess we were poor.

• Like 4

How about the one-room school house that I went to

Or a time before school buses

Or a time when corporal punishment in schools was not only allowed, but used

Or a time when I used to stare at any cars that went down our road because chances are it was a neighbor that I knew.

Or a time when I wore my hunting knife to school after running the trapline .... And nobody thought a thing about it.

Or the old three-hole outhouse. Not at camp but as part of the main residence. By the way....anyone know why there was more than one hole?

Dam  Doc.  I am old, I have seen them all!   We only had a 2 hole out house .   Pygmy, we didn't worry about high piles we had a special stick to knock them down or we slid the box out & cleaned it  per Pa's  orders!

Also had the gutters & cistern  along with 2 outside wells with pumps on top!

Edited by hunter49

My Ford 9N tractor has the fitting to crank start it...It is a 1948, I think..

I remember my dad starting his Ford 8N with a crank...Sometimes it would catch and fly around fast enough to break your arm.. Always scared the hell out of me..

When Mom & Dad bought the farm in Tuscarora in 1956, There was no indoor plumbing except for a pitcher pump in the kitchen which drew from a cistern. The water could only be used for washing dishes, etc. Our main water came from a handle pump on a dug well about 50 yards from the house. We had a porcelain bathtub with a drain, but it had to be filled with buckets of water, which was heated on our combo gas/wood stove.Saturday night was bath night..

The next summer, Dad had a drilled well installed and we had indoor plumbing.

I still have the deeds and mortgage from when he bought the property. In 1956, he bought the house, barn, 3 outbuildings, tractor, various farm implements and 187 acres of land for $5600...

• Like 1

im not that old but many .... but in my own defense I grew up in an area where folks resisted the fast moving trends.  my great grandmother still lived in her original house that was built on the ground, 1 outlet in the 600 sq foot house, a sink with a hand water pump, a coal cook stove, and a 2 holer  outhouse.  she lived there till she was 94 in 1978. she was still getting milk delivered as were we just up the hill, REAL milk, spoon the cream off the top of the jug type of milk, from the cow to your belly. I was good for a gallon a day by myself.

those were simpler times, I often think that if we got rid of the internet and hollywood and went back to the way of living back then the world may be a much better place to live. I miss the old A&W rootbeer drive in where you pulled up put the little speaker/microphone box on your window and placed your order and the waitress brought your burgers and dogs out to your vehicle, and your real rootbeer came out in a frosty mug.

Anyone remember these 1st TVs? Humongous console with about a 10-12" B&W screen and packed full of tubes. How about hauling a shoebox full of the vacuum tubes to a store that had a tube tester so you could fix the TV yourself, since there weren't a lot of TV techs around back then.

post-318-0-71035100-1424924104_thumb.jpg