Tagged Out-Lets Go Fishing!

Lawdwaz

I killed another adult this morning at 9:30am.  I had one on the roast in a precarious position, not easily approachable from the side I thought he'd pitch into.  Went to the less desirable spot and sure enough he hit the ground after all my best sexy calls, gobbling his fool head off and headed towards a road.  Then I heard another bird flap out of the tree and start making some yelps.....damn, a hen.

Off they went, ignoring everything I had.  The heck with them, I went south and mooched around for a bit.  Took a nice 30 minute nap, called my wife and buddy then started to the east.  After about 400-500 yards of walking and calling I stopped to make another call and got an answer!

It's around 9;15 and he is close!  Maybe 125 yards away but in a field by the sounds of it.  He gobbled his head off too and it took about 10 minutes for him to make it within range.  One shot at about 35 yards and his partying days are over.  I hope he left his seed.........................

image_zpsct1gwxmq.jpg

He was a pretty good bird; 21lbs, 10" beard and 1" spurs. 

Man it was a warm morning and FOGGY early.

I have a couple buddies I may take out now but I'm looking forward to some more springtime pan fish!!

• Like 19

Would ya look at the red noggin on that old bird,lol

Sweet gobbler too Lawdwaz!

WTG tagging out in a season that's giving so many others of us fits so far.

Ha, that 1st comment DIDN'T go unnoticed.

:)

• Like 1

Nice bird, Larry...CONGRATS !!

I'd be tagged out too if I could hit anything..

The gills are bedding now in Sis's pond, so they shouldn't be far behind in Honeoye.

By the time I get back from Ontario, it should be PRIME..I can just taste those succulent filets as I speak.

Nice bird, Larry...CONGRATS !!

I'd be tagged out too if I could hit anything..

The gills are bedding now in Sis's pond, so they shouldn't be far behind in Honeoye.

By the time I get back from Ontario, it should be PRIME..I can just taste those succulent filets as I speak.

ROCK & ROLL!!!!!  Lets go fishing!!!!!!

I'll tell you, I busted my butt for three days to kill those two birds.  (only kidding, probably the three easiest days I've ever hunted since 1982)

I haven't been skunked since '82, always getting at least one bird in NYS but sometimes hunting so hard you wouldn't believe it to kill just one.  One of my very favorite years was when I hunted my tail off and finally killed one on the 30th around 9am.

His fan and cape hang on the left side of my basement stairs as a tribute to the stud bird that ran me around for probably 5 or 6 days before he decided I was worthy of his loving.  A "trophy" behond any deer I have ever shot.  Truth........

I've missed WAY more than I ever should have and man do those STING.   Lord......you bust your ass for them and then they commit and make the move to come in, then you miss because your DAMNED head isn't on the stock, you're peaking.  Oh how they sting...............................................

No deer has ever gotten into my head like a turkey, not even close.  Dan I feel your pain, deeply I promise on the missed bird.

Shoot your Ontario bird and lets go fishing!!  Unless of course........................you want to go to Pennsylvania and kill gobblers!!!!

and with a shiny gun to boot.......nice job!

Christ if it isn't my bald head it's my darn gun shining.  :)

Funny you mentioned the gun though, where I killed that bird was very mature big hardwoods and the bird was to my north east.  Of course the sun was off my right shoulder and bright and powerful.  In 15 years of using that gun on many gobblers I never gave the finish a thought.  I've had a couple camo turkey guns and thought it was over rated until yesterday!  I got nervous that he would spook when/if he saw a glare.  I kept the gun kind of turned a bit to the east more hoping he didn't catch a view he didn't like.......I guess it worked.

Now that I'm in my easy chair I'm thinking about that shiny gun.  Think I should have it painted?

I think so too...................................

• Like 2

I am not real comfortable with the scope on my turkey gun..

I have shot many birds with the bead sights, but missed s few by raising my head off the stock, so I went to a front/rear adjustable fiber optic sight...Killed a bunch of birds with that, but then due to my old eyes, the sights began to blur, so I went to a holosight. Killed a few birds with that and missed a couple. Never really liked the damn thing.It broke about a month after the warrenty ran out.

I had always been shy of a scope on a magnum shotgun for turkeys because with the creative positions you sometimes need to shoot from, I figured that sooner or later I would be bleeding worse than the turkey.

Last year I finally bit the bullet and put a Leupy 1x4x20 on the 11-87..

I went 2 for 2 last year, but both bird were shot in open fields from the blind.

This year I am 1 for 3...Both birds I missed were in the woods..I am NOT comfortable with the scope in the woods, despite the fact that I have killed deer for years with scope sighted shotguns and rifles in the woods...It just ain't the SAME, schooching down against a tree, trying to be as motionless as possible, and trying to execute a good shot on a sharp eyed turkey coming through the peckerpoles...

I'm going back to my bead sighted 1100 while hunting the woods. If I hunt a field from a blind, I'll still take the scope sighted 11-87..

Really nice!  I am beginning to doubt the existence of gobblers in NY based on my experience.  lol  Gives me hope.

Believe me...............in a HUGE way: BTDT.

:)

I have worked my living butt off to kill one gobbler a year many times and NOBODY appreciates a spring bird as much as I do.

Anybody, yes anybody can kill a deer.  An adult spring gobbler is in a completely different league, especially if NOT killed from a blind.  Homw many first time hunters kill big mature bucks?  Plenty........

Not so with mature tom's.

Stick with it Moog, it'll happen!

It's too bad you couldn't have all those successful spring hunts put together in a video compilation.

I have a great idea for a title.....  you could call it, "The Tom and Larry Show",lol :rofl:

I'm sure it would be a smash hit!

• Like 1

It's too bad you couldn't have all those successful spring hunts put together in a video compilation.

I have a great idea for a title.....  you could call it, "The Tom and Larry Show",lol :rofl:

I'm sure it would be a smash hit!

Wooly.........................................you DO crack me up!

:D 

Edited by Lawdwaz
  • Like 1