Pulled out the bow today

kam

To get your arm back in shape? Row a boat. Fun, scenic, and similar to drawing back a bow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well we just got some kayaks. I'll have to get going with that!

My aim is fine, just out of shape.

Edited by kam

Start out slow and don't over-do it.

If it hurts, you may be doing more damage to yourself over the long run and find yourself shopping for an x-bow sooner than you hoped instead.

Keep your sessions short until your muscles get used to shooting again or you'll risk developing bad form/habits that may be harder to kick even after the aches and pains are long gone.

You don't need to actually "shoot" to get back into shape. Using your bow as your primary piece of workout equipment by simply drawing and anchoring (holding) a few times throughout the day can do just as much good without ever releasing an arrow.

• Like 3

I shoot throughout the year.  if you can find an outdoor 3D this summer go do it.  awesome practice.  if you're allowed a rangefinder guess at yardage first.  shooting with friends is always fun.  you shoot once then get to rest a bit walking to the other target and waiting for others to shoot.

What's the best thing to get your arm(s) back in shape?  

Shoot. There is nothing that exercises those exact muscles better than actually shooting. If you are worried about muscle injury and over-stress, crank the poundage down a bit and keep the first practice sessions short. But shooting the bow involves specific muscles and muscle groups. The best exercise machine for archery muscles is archery equipment.

• Like 3

I too practice year round with a ten yard target in my basement in the winter. Due to shoulder issues, it's more quality over quantity shooting for me now. Five to no more than ten arrows a day,or every other day. And I always concentrate on making the very first shot count, as that is the most important shot when actually hunting.

• Like 1

That is the best part of the crossbow which, rumor has it, may be made legal for all of archery season this year.  Even if it's not, 14 days in the northern-zone and another 14 in the southern should provide me with ample opportunity to at least fill my buck tag again. The first 40 yard group I shot after assembling it last spring could be covered with a golf ball.   About 20 more "practice" shots, and I smoked a buck with it, thru the heart, at 59 yards, on the only shot I took during the 14 day southern-zone season last fall.  To call the crossbow a "wonder-weapon" is almost an understatement, given how much more capable even an "entry-level" one like I purchased, is on deer.

Back when I did use a regular bow, I would pull out my older one in April and do about 20 draws right handed and left handed every other day during my regular workout time, skipping some of my other routines to make up the time.  Around mid August, I would start shooting my newer "hunting" bow 3-4 times a week.   By October 15 opener,  I could keep it in a pie plate every time at 30 yards, but man did it take time and effort to get to that point.   It was ok when I was young and single with lots of free time, but the crossbow is a real "God-send" for us old married guy's.

Another huge advantage of the crossbow for us older guys with kids and more responsibilities is the elimination of the need to go high up in a tree in order to hide the close-range movement required to draw a regular bow.   No big deal if I fell and broke my neck when it was just me I had to worry about.  With 3 other hungry mouths to feed now though, that would be a real bad deal.     

One more advantage of the crossbow regarding drawing and strength-building is that it is a "two-handed" symmetric draw, and also uses some leg strength.  It is a much better full-body workout than regular bow-shooting.  You wont end up with a developed tricep on the left and bicep on the right like you would if you practiced shooting a regular bow right handed year round.  That non-symmetry is also a real good recipe for shoulder issues.

Edited by wolc123

Pulled out the bow today to start practicing.  Ouch!   What's the best thing to get your arm(s) back in shape?  

Buy a couple of those exercise bands with handles. You can either wrap em around a beam or basement support, or hook over doors. You can simulate the drawing action with a good deal of resistance. They work really well. I use bands as a regular part of my workout regime, and they travel well too if you're away a lot.Different strength bands give a different level of resistance. Get a medium and a thick one. Very ease to use all the year round in order to avoid Bow season injuries.

Edited by Papist
  • Like 1

Buy a couple of those exercise bands with handles. You can either wrap em around a beam or basement support, or hook over doors. You can simulate the drawing action with a good deal of resistance. They work really well. I use bands as a regular part of my workout regime, and they travel well too if you're away a lot.Different strength bands give a different level of resistance. Get a medium and a thick one. Very ease to use all the year round in order to avoid Bow season injuries.

Good idea, we have some of those too. I think I know where they are.
  • Like 1

I shoot my bow year around so I don't get out of "bow shape". Probably also helps that I work out and do 100 pull-ups and 200 push ups 4-5 days a week. But like some others have said, best way to develop your bow muscles is to shoot your bow.

being a old fart at 74 years young I try to shoot a few arrows most every day. Still one of the things that brings enjoyment to me. I sure wish I could shoot as well as I did at 30 years old...but I still under 35 yards can get the job done. The only time is in the Jan to March period I got south to Myrtle Beach SC, and am a member of Sand dune archers and go out to there range about 3 times a week and have two other guys that stay were I stay that bring there bows so we have a good time shooting. Most days down there it is in the mid 50's to low 60's...but no snow...

Well I lowered my draw weight just a bit and have been shooting regularly.   Today I just upped the weight half way to where I was so I'm not as bad off as I thought.   After thinking about it, I do remember increasing the weight right before hunting season last year, I guess I just forgot.   

Also, been doing a little rowing and some band exercises.  I'm not inactive by any means, just don't use those bow muscles much.  They are coming back fairly quickly though so I'll be good before the season starts.   

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I too practice year round with a ten yard target in my basement in the winter. Due to shoulder issues, it's more quality over quantity shooting for me now. Five to no more than ten arrows a day,or every other day. And I always concentrate on making the very first shot count, as that is the most important shot when actually hunting.

I shoot year round too. I don't have a basement, so I pass on the really bad days in the winter, though. 

I have bad rotator cuffs, and if i push it, they put me out of commission for a while. So I'll shoot an arrow, do something else for a while, shoot another, etc. And I agree with you in regard to making that one shot count. Shooting that one arrow at a time, has eliminated the fatigue, and sloppy shooting I used to get towards the end of a long shooting session too.