Food for thought: yearling buck protection

Buckstopshere

Anyone who thinks they're able to manage or manipulate the deer herd in this state from a desk in Albany is delusional. So yeah, that's exactly what they'll try to do. It's how bureaucrats think.

The whole 'trophy' deer argument is not about the numbers of 'trophy' deer that can be grown. Those deer are out there, and they're watching your every move.

This is about the accessibility of those 'trophies' for the people who are unwilling to work hard to get them.

'Trophy' hunting is supposed to be hard work. That's why it's called a trophy.

• Like 2

Just curious, am I in a small percentage of hunters that process their own deer?  I assumed, perhaps incorrectly, that many hunters don't use processors.

Oh, I am sure they have a "factor' for that. They probably went to Cornell to get one .... lol.

Tall Antlers, tight spread:

The deer in the back ...... are those antlers outside the ears? Better yell at a deer in that position to get him to look straight at you. Or you can just shoot them all, and then just sort out the ones to take home that pass the regulation ....lol.

• Like 1

Belo,

I love the cherry picking of my post...so I'll post it yet again...just so everyone can see where that statement stemmed from...and I'll also restate "DEC and all your opinions be damned.

Posted Today, 08:12 AM

Well I'm going to state this publicly and the DEC and all of your opinions on it be damned!

If they put this into effect with a spread minimum and I have a specific buck pass within a good shot range ...he's going down and screw the law period. Now I say this for more than a few "crap your pants" bucks having crossed my property... that did not pass such rules...one was the 12" inch brow tine buck who's G-2's were over 12", high tight rack...Another the hog that stepped out in front of me as I was getting out of my car.  Massive body and too many twisted gnarly points to count...in fact I described it and Jesus's  thorny crown. There was no "spread" on that buck. We have many high tight racks . Like the neighbors buck and The bigger 12 point I missed a couple of years ago whose rack had more mass but was the same type of tight high configuration.

I'm actually getting tired of BS..I have been a stickler on the laws always  and I know them pretty well ,unlike a lot of hunters...But I'm getting older and hey admittedly slowing down and I will be double dipped shite if I have such a buck get a pass  when it is clearly a mature buck....Yes I say this with no intentions of ever getting a deer head mounted and with having gotten some nice mature bucks, but not being a Trophy hunter. There that's my stand on it.

Attached Thumbnails
  • post-261-0-88721400-1438693137_thumb.jpg

BTW. to answer your question: Yes  I did and even with my statement would..you need to put up a better example. The sunset / sun rise is about safety...My  statement is about pure BS in a so called management policy.  One that as far as inside spread goes has no baring on a bucks age.

so you will fight up and down with us about the sunrise/sunset laws...but this one is ok to break?

Edited by growalot
  • Like 1

Biologists check deer at processors,etc, then they use percentages, formulas to get the numbers

I knew that but I was just taking a poke at the way they come to these numbers.

Wouldn't it be great (seeing that these percentages don't really mean all that much) if there was a box on the carcass tag the hunter could fill in with his own age estimation!

NY would become the mecca of 3+ year old spikers, forkies, and basket sixers,lol

It wouldn't hurt nothing since we don't know any different anyhow....

Maybe then all this AR talk would go away finally.

• Like 1

Sorry to have been a part of derailing this thread. Antler spread ARs is just one of the bigger hot-buttons for me.

I think that the topic that buckstopshere brought up was a fantastic observation. Whether you believe the stats or the way they are arrived at, the fact is that it is that very same statistical method that the DEC makes policy with and wants to base further hunting restrictions on. And to consider their own stats that show a failure of ARs and then for them to continue implementing them and expanding them, shows a certain kind of arrogant ignorance that proves that they only operate on perceptions rather than fact.

I think we burned this topic just a little too quickly. Sorry for my part in that.

• Like 2

Antler spread IS the best way to tell a mature buck in the field by his antlers alone... whether or not most hunters are able to do that is another thing entirely... AR's can only protect small bucks if the restriction is adequate to do so... three on a side is not adequate... It would be far more productive to educate hunters on what a big mature buck actually looks like before trying any program to protect young bucks... even more so the DEC needs to accurately, and effectively explain why it is necessary to protect younger bucks... without doing those things AR's are worthless and ineffective as a real conservation tool. I find that the trend of many hunters being selective by choice is working much better than any mandate implemented so far.

• Like 3

Hang on...this thread is like a train, running down the tracks with no brakes...lol...talk about "derailed!"

Antler points, spread, cutting up our own deer...whewwww.

But just when you think that the whole AR thing could not get any weirder...or illogical, or nonsensical...you might not want to read further.

Get a good sleep tonight.

But for the bold:

While checking out how AR is going in other states that jumped on the AR fad...Did you know that Missouri (where my son lives)  is delisting or dropping all AR for the upcoming 2015 season?

That's right Missouri's DNR is suspending AR for the upcoming deer season and the foreseeable future.

Why is Missouri allowing all antlered bucks to be shot this season and now rejecting AR?

Was it because they reached their senses? No.

Was it because the rational sportsman's voice finally broke through the political/business fortress?

No, no such luck.

Strange as it may seem, Missouri is delisting AR zones to combat CWD. Yes, it is the truth, honest. I did not make this up.

But this statewide anti-AR move brings up all kinds of questions, such as...if the Missouri DNR biologists believe that an effective way to combat CWD is to cancel AR, can we logically project the construct that states or Game Management programs  that implement AR are fostering or at least supporting the possible spread of CWD in a whitetail population?

Which biologists are right, Missouri's or NY's?

I warned you it was getting weird and that is what you get for derailing the thread. lol

http://www.missourinet.com/2015/06/16/missouri-conservation-extends-cwd-combat-zone-changes-regulations/

Edited by Buckstopshere

Bucks spread CWD more because of their male ways. They also disperse so they travel more. Ny is not much worried about CWD like it once was.  Those other states that are trophy hot spots will now be losing out of state monies because of stupid rules to try and fight something that has been around for years.

Andy and Ny are willing to try and get some of that out of state cash, If they can make the deer first.  

CWD is still the same political joke it has always been. And now those politics even refuse to supply the money to test for CWD. About all states test less and less wild deer every year.

this one went off the deep end.

I'm not sure some of you understand the difficulty of any management on a wider public scale than just you and your hunting buddies... i'll telling you.  the struggle is real.

I think some are a little hard on DEC and claim the sky is falling without looking up.

this one went off the deep end.

I'm not sure some of you understand the difficulty of any management on a wider public scale than just you and your hunting buddies... i'll telling you. the struggle is real.

I think some are a little hard on DEC and claim the sky is falling without looking up.

Well they just signed the death sentence for a lot of 1.5 year olds in the areas out here where they mandated doe take on early bow and ML season. Watch the 1.5 harvest rate jump here

• Like 2

Just one guys worthless opinion.................(mine, not yours Oak)

If AR's OR the One Buck Rule are implemented the heat will definitely be on the YEARLING buck as they will surely be killed by guys (mistakenly of course) shooting an antlerless deer in lieu of a buck sporting 3 points to a side. And only obviously the doe fawn and mature doe will take a big hit like PA hunters have done.

Oh wait........they WANTED to protect the yearling buck right? :no2:

a yearling buck is 1.5 years old, do you mean button bucks?

No he meant 1.5 year old's ...because the same guys that would and do hold out for the hopes of a bigger buck into the ML season or bow will now take that smaller buck as to not burn the tag....but Do Not Underestimate the spitefulness of a ticked off hunter. There is going to be and echoing of ..F--- It's through out the SZ Hills as younger deer hit the ground. I guarantee this.

Edited by growalot