Get your vaseline ready NY! Its here...

phade

Could.of.been easily.avoided if archers shot does instead of waiting for a big buck.... that's what they want kill does.. but I'd get doe tags and fill all those first

Thi will have little bearing on those that choose to take a trophy with their bow. Change the seasons back to what they used to be and you are still chasing your trophy on the 15th of October.  Still the best time for most trophy hunters anyways. With October comes the Mad Season!!!

Remember once upon a time we had to check a box on our carcass tags to acknowledge our kills "adult" or "fawn".

I never killed one with spots, but I did kill many anorexic "adults" that yielded under 30lbs of flesh.

Maybe that was some sort of subliminal conditioning for what the future of deer hunting would be, to open hunters eyes before they pull the trigger.... much like they're doing here.

JMO,  but those guys and gals up in DEC headquarters got more time to think this crap up than I do.

We have to ask though...why would you kill adult deer that were obviously under-weight?

Edited by Papist

We have to ask though...why would you kill adult deer that were obviously under-weight?

Do I gotta spell it out for you or what Paps....

I may have killed a fawn or three, but I'll never publicly admit to it.... OK, I just did, but I may have sneezed while filling out my tag.

I got people that look up to my hunting prowess so I got a reputation to uphold,lol

(not really)

I thought for sure you would be the first to jump on my conspiracy theory bandwagon (but I guess not)

• Like 3

We put alot of does on the ground during bow season. The first two weeks wont affect me. Its the late season that will. Im not buying my ML tag this year, or until I can shoot a buck again.

There is a flaw in that plan, if you dont buy your ML tag you wont be buying your Bow tag either.  Its the same tag.

This over population and need for DMP increased harvests are NOT new phenomena within the last few years! So why didn't the DEC make early Oct bow season doe only back when they rolled back opening day to Oct 1st. Certainly would have been much easier a pill to swallow back then.

Think we all could see this coming in the areas effected with these new changes. Just a little confused....thought there was to be a public comment period and nothing would change for 2015 due to the scheduling of these meetings??? Seems to be way too much weight put on these new changes simply from the Cornell survey of ~2500 hunters.

You Xbow hunters, still need the ML license to hunt with them in early Nov. Which now makes even less sense to me since I'll probably opt out of the late ML season.

There is a flaw in that plan, if you dont buy your ML tag you wont be buying your Bow tag either.  Its the same tag.

if you buy the archery license AND mzzleloader its a combined tag.  but you can buy just the archery or muzzleloader license in addition to your regular license.

• Like 4

My guess is that this will be an annual rotating affair from wmu to wmu.

I don't think so. Those areas effected are supposedly high population areas that the DEC has now put on the backs of bowhunters and muzzleloader hunters to fix. Logic tells you that that is not going to happen, so this "doe only" will apply until ..... forever or until the DEC gets some sane management that doesn't have their heads stuck up inside that dark unsanitary place.

for the cost of $15 some might just buy it for another tag to keep them hunting despite doe only.

Actually many wont. End of year, cold weather, after the grind of regular season, and ala carte licenses. Rather than buying the super sportsman up front, im not buying my mz tag unles i feel the need to fill the freezer at that point and time. Chances are ill have shot a doe or four by then, so there isnt much incentive to go buy it.

I dont mind saying that shooting a buck is what engages me in this sport. I sure as heck enjoy the camraderie and shooting some does, and enjoy the hunt. But taking away the ability to shoot a buck fully, really reduces my desire to get out of bed when it is a high of 15 degress and ten inches of snow to wade through.

Not to mention, im going to have little desire to shoot a doe outside of those three weeks. I want to maximize what time there is now to kill a buck. My group of 3 shot 13 freaking doe last season in these impact units. Im not all that excited we will meet that target again once we compile enough meat for the freezer for us. To be honest, I could easily just get the statewide antlerless and pop a doe early and be done with doe hunting because Im not going to use more than one full deer anyway in my house and a buck will be able to be given out to those I normally donate to.

Either way, either doe tags or the mz will not be bought by me this year. We will see how it goes.

Edited by phade
  • Like 2

if you buy the archery license AND mzzleloader its a combined tag.  but you can buy just the archery or muzzleloader license in addition to your regular license.

This over population and need for DMP increased harvests are NOT new phenomena within the last few years! So why didn't the DEC make early Oct bow season doe only back when they rolled back opening day to Oct 1st. Certainly would have been much easier a pill to swallow back then.

Think we all could see this coming in the areas effected with these new changes. Just a little confused....thought there was to be a public comment period and nothing would change for 2015 due to the scheduling of these meetings??? Seems to be way too much weight put on these new changes simply from the Cornell survey of ~2500 hunters.

You Xbow hunters, still need the ML license to hunt with them in early Nov. Which now makes even less sense to me since I'll probably opt out of the late ML season.

There was a comment period and links were posted all over this site....
  • Like 1

Could.of.been easily.avoided if archers shot does instead of waiting for a big buck.... that's what they want kill does.. but I'd get doe tags and fill all those first

No, it could have easily been avoided if the DEC pulled their heads out of their butt and realized that they will not bring down the population through bowhunters and muzzleloaders alone. Their attack on the bowhunters and muzzleloader hunters will only result in the loss of bowhunters and muzzleloader hunters. Way to go you ignorant jerks!

• Like 2

I have never considered does as beneath taking with a bow, and I will not participate in this blatant attack on bowhunters. I will not be forced to watch good bucks go by simply because the DEC has manufactured a beef with bowhunters. Honestly, I would rather see my 51 consecutive years of bow season participation come to an end than to willingly participate in the DEC's continued war on bowhunters. And perhaps now is the time.

I have a feeling this is a pissing match between the DEC /Gov. office and hunters.

They are figuring that they have us by the shorties due to :

1. All the life time license holders out there ..

2. All the new x-bow owners that they have set up to HAVE TO BUY the ML tags..

There was a bit of a heated exchange publicly between Hurst/DEC and the president of the Bow hunters association. How much can personal grudges enter the world of policy making? I ask this as a serious question because:

1. They are not utilizing the most effective hunters to kill doe

2. they are not utilizing the most productive times of the season

a.) early many times too hot

b.) ML many times too cold or just burned out hunters

3.) All this at a time where they publicly admitted to lowering DMPs in areas due to the winter kill. Granted not the high areas but that's because they want them all dead. Did they even try to figure out the winter kill in these areas or the lower fawn drop #'s?

4.) As mentioned this was suddenly pushed through even though changes were stated to begin in 2016

I did what I said I would do and will not be black mailed into shooting doe in my area when I readily shoot them any ways...my Four 8N tags will now go to an 8M ,8X and I will think about getting my extra Nov. 1st 8N tags...I won't even bother with the land owners attempt.

So DEC I will hunt Oct 1-15 I will still have a choice at either that nice buck and a doe  and I won't have to let a nice buck pass and you may have lost my buying the ML for the crossbow, and getting tags for my area I truly hope others do the same. I had to go get a place to hunt in 8M but it was doable. Thanks in advance Jim.

Edited by growalot